Review of Little-Dot MKIVse
Apr 2, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #332 of 847
Just got my IVse home from the post office and rigged up. Not going to post any impressions yet as I've A: Only been listening about 5 minutes and B: It isn't burned in yet. But my unit has arrived, it glows properly, it makes noise...

(Ok I lied, I will share one impression: K701 has BASS????!?!)

Apr 2, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #333 of 847
If you like vocal, try to find a pair of Sylvania 6AK5WB. I got a pair of Sylvania Gold Brand 5654 yesterday for cheap (6 bucks), and I think 6AK5WB sounds sweeter. But gold pins do look better.

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #334 of 847
Was I the only one who was surprised by the size of this amp? After looking at the pictures, I thought it might be around 1/2 to 2/3 of the size that it was! Man was I wrong. It's not a problem, it just surprised me. I think they should include a familiar object in their pictures to use as a reference for size for people like me.
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #335 of 847
I was slightly surprised. I was expecting good size, but it was maybe 20-25% larger than expected.

Btw, after about 2 hours of listening: I'm in love. This has done exactly whatI was hoping for. My K701s are still very "reference" sounding and detailed, but they've mutated into some seriously ROCKING phones now. Great detail, nice bass (not exaggerated, but much more present, and more sensation of pitch).

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #336 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like vocal, try to find a pair of Sylvania 6AK5WB. I got a pair of Sylvania Gold Brand 5654 yesterday for cheap (6 bucks), and I think 6AK5WB sounds sweeter. But gold pins do look better.

X2 on the Sylvania 6AK5WB's. They have become my favorite drivers. Outstanding!

Apr 3, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #337 of 847
Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but it looks like the run of the MKIVse may be over. Here's an e-mail replay I just got from David over @ LD.

Quote:

Hello Tyler,

Ah that's excellent news! I'm happy to hear your Little Dot MK IV SE is finally in your hands and that you are so pleased with it - even right out of the box!

Things are a bit unsure at the moment, but you may actually have one of the last Little Dot MK IV SEs. We do still have a small stock to satisfy warranty purposes, but as for retail models, this *may* have been the last run!

Please enjoy your new Little Dot MK IV SE, and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Best Regards,
David

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #338 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 on the Sylvania 6AK5WB's. They have become my favorite drivers. Outstanding!

Great news...Can't wait till mine get here later this week...

Apr 3, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #339 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_can /img/forum/go_quote.gif

dc,
Don't forget that tubes NEED 40-50 hours of break-in. Direct comparisons with any less time on them will not tell you how they are going to sound. Many sound like crap for quite a while, until they mature.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #340 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerEaves /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my IVse home from the post office and rigged up. Not going to post any impressions yet as I've A: Only been listening about 5 minutes and B: It isn't burned in yet. But my unit has arrived, it glows properly, it makes noise...

(Ok I lied, I will share one impression: K701 has BASS????!?!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerEaves /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was slightly surprised. I was expecting good size, but it was maybe 20-25% larger than expected.

Btw, after about 2 hours of listening: I'm in love. This has done exactly whatI was hoping for. My K701s are still very "reference" sounding and detailed, but they've mutated into some seriously ROCKING phones now. Great detail, nice bass (not exaggerated, but much more present, and more sensation of pitch).

"Welcome, to the machine!"
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Now you know why those of us who have one, love it! Have a great burn-in!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #343 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danika k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, whats the word on the mobile audio GE 6AK5 tubes? I looked at all the threads but couldnt find an impression...

Very similar but perhaps just shy of the GE 5-Stars performance. Good balance from top to bottom and really pure top-end with out being bright or overly forward.

Apr 3, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #344 of 847
Well my LD MKIV SE arrived yesterday. Only got a chance to listen to it a bit (and yes Penchum one of the disks I listened to was Signals - New World Man
smily_headphones1.gif
).

It is a bit early to tell for me as well on what my impressions are, as the tubes need burning in. But out of the box it sounded just fine. I have the gain at 50, can even go to 60 or 65, and though that starts getting too loud, there is absolute ZERO distortion with this. I don't hear any 'tube' noise either, at least, nothing worth noting (a very slight hiss).

Build quality is solid! Everything lines up very well, the components used are to notch! I agree with the size, it is larger than the posted pictures lead to you believe.

So far - I've listened to:

Reg Cd's
Live (throwing Copper)
Rush (Signals

SACD's
Patricia Barber (Cafe Blue)
Dire Straits (Brother in Arms Anniversary Edition)
SRV (Texas Flood)

Initial impressions are smooth, all the detail is there but I don't find any more detail then listening to it though my Yamaha receiver, but I don't feel I'm missing any either.

As for the smoothness, Throwing Copper is the best way to describe it. I can't listen to a lot of the tracks, as it's not a very well recorded album IMO and it can get very busy and very fatiguing, especially at louder volumes. The Little Dot is no exception, except for the fact I an listen to it louder and longer than I can on my SS gear with my headphones, so I know the tubes are making a difference.

I hope the amp doesn't fail, like others have reported. So far (2 hours roughly) so good, and since we got the last of them, IMO this will be considered a 'vintage' amp before long.

Oh, thanks for the tips on the Sylvannia tubes. Can these tubes be run on the factory seetings, or do you need to put the jumpers in?

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #345 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my LD MKIV SE arrived yesterday. Only got a chance to listen to it a bit (and yes Penchum one of the disks I listened to was Signals - New World Man
smily_headphones1.gif
).

It is a bit early to tell for me as well on what my impressions are, as the tubes need burning in. But out of the box it sounded just fine. I have the gain at 50, can even go to 60 or 65, and though that starts getting too loud, there is absolute ZERO distortion with this. I don't hear any 'tube' noise either, at least, nothing worth noting (a very slight hiss).

Build quality is solid! Everything lines up very well, the components used are to notch! I agree with the size, it is larger than the posted pictures lead to you believe.

So far - I've listened to:

Reg Cd's
Live (throwing Copper)
Rush (Signals

SACD's
Patricia Barber (Cafe Blue)
Dire Straits (Brother in Arms Anniversary Edition)
SRV (Texas Flood)

Initial impressions are smooth, all the detail is there but I don't find any more detail then listening to it though my Yamaha receiver, but I don't feel I'm missing any either.

As for the smoothness, Throwing Copper is the best way to describe it. I can't listen to a lot of the tracks, as it's not a very well recorded album IMO and it can get very busy and very fatiguing, especially at louder volumes. The Little Dot is no exception, except for the fact I an listen to it louder and longer than I can on my SS gear with my headphones, so I know the tubes are making a difference.

I hope the amp doesn't fail, like others have reported. So far (2 hours roughly) so good, and since we got the last of them, IMO this will be considered a 'vintage' amp before long.

Oh, thanks for the tips on the Sylvannia tubes. Can these tubes be run on the factory seetings, or do you need to put the jumpers in?

The factory setting should be for the EF95 family, which the Sylvania's belong to, so press on!
smily_headphones1.gif
As a side note, the amp itself has HUGE capacitors in it and will need time to mature. The NOS tubes, will need time too. I recommend sessions lasting no longer than 8 hours at a time, with a cool down to room temperature in between each session. You will find that the amp starts to change it's sound around the 55+/- hour mark. It gets so good so quick, it still amazes me each time I've matured an LD tube amp. Have fun and keep us posted as time progresses.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back