Review of Little-Dot MKIVse
Mar 30, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #301 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a power tube going funky on you. It happens. Even though I'm sure David will send you another, I recommend buying a matched second set and burning them in and holding the others (unmatched) as spares. The volume drop in one channel is a dead give away that this channels power tube is going bad.

The entire amp's volume got low, and there's definitely some distortion in the music. It's weird because just last night, things were fine. Though, I did have the buzzing problem which started just 2 weeks ago which usually went away and then comes back. Only this time, it's louder and things just got worse.

It's alright, though, since David agreed to take my amp and repair it since it's still under warranty. Good thing, it's in Ohio so I wouldn't have to pay high international shipping charges to China.

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #302 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The entire amp's volume got low, and there's definitely some distortion in the music. It's weird because just last night, things were fine. Though, I did have the buzzing problem which started just 2 weeks ago which usually went away and then comes back. Only this time, it's louder and things just got worse.

It's alright, though, since David agreed to take my amp and repair it since it's still under warranty. Good thing, it's in Ohio so I wouldn't have to pay high international shipping charges to China.

Ow, ok. I sure am glad they take the warranty seriously. It is great of them to ship and fix with no cost to the owner. I'm not sure anyone else does that. Let us know how this process works out.

Mar 30, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #303 of 847
Sure will. I'm sending out the package on Monday, as much as I hate to wait that long. But at least I have a back-up amp, my Little Dot II++ in which I was supposed to sell last weekend, but ended up doing something else. I guess keeping it for a little while longer helped out a bit!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #304 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure will. I'm sending out the package on Monday, as much as I hate to wait that long. But at least I have a back-up amp, my Little Dot II++ in which I was supposed to sell last weekend, but ended up doing something else. I guess keeping it for a little while longer helped out a bit!
smily_headphones1.gif

Having a back-up amp just makes great sense. Not only in your situation, but any other situation that might come up. If you do mods, or loan out to a friend, or like me, experiment with different usages, the back-up amp comes in very handy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #305 of 847
this is great!!!
the item was shipped out from shenzhen china on 3/29, and i just received it at 10:40am 3/31. =D
it now seriously blows to be at work today. 7 more hours until i get to test this beast.

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #306 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is great!!!
the item was shipped out from shenzhen china on 3/29, and i just received it at 10:40am 3/31. =D
it now seriously blows to be at work today. 7 more hours until i get to test this beast.

I detect a "sick day" coming on......
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #307 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I detect a "sick day" coming on......
biggrin.gif

dont give me ideas!!
if i knew that i was getting the amp today, i wouldve come into the office with a i-am-sick-frown on my face. however, i came into the office all hyper like a 7 year old on sugar rush.
frown.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #308 of 847
I'm about to go nuts too. Mine got into JFK yesterday...no idea when it will show up.

Mar 31, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #309 of 847
I just received mine and HOLY crap that was fast shipping. 4 Days from China to my door(Florida). It took a week including weekends since I ordered for it to arrive. Amazing service, thank you David!

As for the sound... Simply Amazing! Of course I only have one set of HP's(DT880's) to test it on, and only one amp to use as a reference(Corda 2Move), but it still sounds amazing. I can't wait to get it fully burnt in and hear the difference.

Now I just need a good DAC(Zero DAC?). It might be a month or so before I can afford more though, the MKIV SE killed my wallet. Anyways, great review, great amp. I couldn't be happier.
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #310 of 847
got home from work, opened up the box and hooked it up.
79471807wv6.jpg

89026407it5.jpg

the sound is LOUD but smooth and warm. i think i can enjoy music for hours and hours with this beast. lacking some details compared to gilmore lite but maybe i'll hear some improvements after some burn-in.
and did i say this thing was loud? because it is! i set the gain at 10 b/c i have hd650 and dt990 250ohm. i cant go past 25/100 or its too loud.

a few questions:
1. for gain, there were two red switches on the bottom. each switch had 2 buttons(?). i figured i set all 4 buttons at off position for gain of 10. can anyone explain what should be set at on and off to lower the gain? the manual says things like 1on and 2 off, 1off and 2on, and so on. but there are 4 friggin buttons!!
2. i have my littledot connected through gilmore lite's loop-out. will that degrade the sound by any chance?
3. what is the recommended warm-up time for tube amps? i gave my littledot for about 3 minutes before i started playing music. =p

thanks in advance.

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #311 of 847
Hi TJumper78,

That is the exact setup I am trying to do. Just ordered my HD650s today and was thinking about getting the Keces DAC to match with a MKIV.

How do you like the Keces DAC with a tube amp?

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #312 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlychild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi TJumper78,

That is the exact setup I am trying to do. Just ordered my HD650s today and was thinking about getting the Keces DAC to match with a MKIV.

How do you like the Keces DAC with a tube amp?

i must say it is fabulous! such smooth sound that is so easy to listen to! i think littledot matches with da-151 better than gilmore lite.
after 1.5 hour of listen, gilmore lite sounds cold. although glite is still giving me better trebles and details, i am already liking this guy better.
i am praying that the treble/detail will improvement with burn-in. OH PRETTY PLEASE!!! with a little more treble and details, this amp can be everything that i wanted in an amp.

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #313 of 847
How much heat can this bad boy take? It seems incredibly hot, with the back tubes actually burning my fingers. It's got plenty of air and space around it, but it's still pretty hot.

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #314 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i must say it is fabulous! such smooth sound that is so easy to listen to! i think littledot matches with da-151 better than gilmore lite.
after 1.5 hour of listen, gilmore lite sounds cold. although glite is still giving me better trebles and details, i am already liking this guy better.
i am praying that the treble/detail will improvement with burn-in. OH PRETTY PLEASE!!! with a little more treble and details, this amp can be everything that i wanted in an amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much heat can this bad boy take? It seems incredibly hot, with the back tubes actually burning my fingers. It's got plenty of air and space around it, but it's still pretty hot.

tjumper, hang in there, many good changes coming before 100hrs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Suds, those back power tubes will run 230-250 F, so don't touch them.
smily_headphones1.gif

The amp will have no trouble running hard for 8 hours. After that, I would cool it to room temp before continuing. Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back