Review of Little-Dot MKIVse
Mar 21, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #286 of 847
I have now installed those mysterious 6Zh1P-EV tubes in my LD. Sounds great from the box. I have to listen them more to say anything about them.

I made an Excel document from my tubes so I can see how good they match each other:

6Zh1P-EV.gif

Obviously I have tubes number 1 & 2 installed because they are the closest match.

Edit: I looked those specs closely and found out that switching couple of pairs gave me more results under the 10% limit.

Mar 21, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #287 of 847
Well, I just pulled the trigger on my mkIVse
wink.gif
Thanks to this thread (and especially penchum, via PM) for guiding me to this unit
wink.gif

Couldn't believe the service I got ordering this. Total time from first contact to confirmation of payment was under 2 hours, despite it being something like midnight over there
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #288 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerEaves /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just pulled the trigger on my mkIVse
wink.gif
Thanks to this thread (and especially penchum, via PM) for guiding me to this unit
wink.gif

Couldn't believe the service I got ordering this. Total time from first contact to confirmation of payment was under 2 hours, despite it being something like midnight over there
wink.gif

This is how they are.
smily_headphones1.gif
Now for the "waiting". The EMS shipping LD uses is the fastest thing I've ever seen. As long as customs doesn't hold anything, it has been 6-7 business days from date shipped, to your door. They say it could take 10 days, but I haven't heard of it taking that long before.
smily_headphones1.gif

You will get a tracking number that works on EMS's tracking and most major postal outfits, like USPS. Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #289 of 847
I just pulled the trigger on a Little Dot MKIV SE as well and it was literally less than 2 minutes before confirmation(Using different emails as well). Can't wait to receive it! It was quite pricey, but I don't think I'll be disappointed.
biggrin.gif

Edit: I'll be using the Little Dot MKIV through my computer, and I was just wondering if my source(Creative X-Fi ExtremeGamer) is going to be a bottle neck in my system. It'll be something like this:

Creative X-Fi -> Little Dot MKIV SE -> DT880

I'll be using the Mini to RCA Interconnects Jan Meier has for sale on his website.

Mar 22, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #290 of 847
Might want to consider an outboard DAC. PC audio tends to be less than stellar (and Creative isn't really audiophile grade stuff either). I'm going to be using the DAC section of my Zero to drive mine.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #291 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by uds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just pulled the trigger on a Little Dot MKIV SE as well and it was literally less than 2 minutes before confirmation(Using different emails as well). Can't wait to receive it! It was quite pricey, but I don't think I'll be disappointed.
biggrin.gif

Edit: I'll be using the Little Dot MKIV through my computer, and I was just wondering if my source(Creative X-Fi ExtremeGamer) is going to be a bottle neck in my system. It'll be something like this:

Creative X-Fi -> Little Dot MKIV SE -> DT880

I'll be using the Mini to RCA Interconnects Jan Meier has for sale on his website.

Yes, I agree with TylerEaves. Ordering a Zero would Maximize your source signal and give you more choices in the future.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #293 of 847
Have had my Little-Dot MKIVse about 1 month, second owner, had about 100hrs on it. it ran very hot-- the whole body of the amp hot when I got it, sounded fine, now it runs cool. the volume is less, and noticable distortion when turning up the volume to the old output level. when it first started this problem, the volume seemed to be undulating up and down slightly. Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Mar 27, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #294 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by tcp56 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have had my Little-Dot MKIVse about 1 month, second owner, had about 100hrs on it. it ran very hot-- the whole body of the amp hot when I got it, sounded fine, now it runs cool. the volume is less, and noticable distortion when turning up the volume to the old output level. when it first started this problem, the volume seemed to be undulating up and down slightly. Any thoughts would be appreciated...

think you should send an email to david at littletube. he'll be m ore than happy to help you out.

Mar 27, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #295 of 847
Quote:

Yes, tjumper78 is right. Email DavidZ. He'll have a solution for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #296 of 847
Just a follow up to my previous post here. Talked to David but he wasn't sure what was going on with my MKVIse. even though I'm not the first owner it is still covered under the warranty. so it is on its way to ohio to get checked out. Guess I need a back-up amp.

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #297 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am curious. What gain settings do you guys have your MKIVse set to?
Thanks!

Highest. I'm running HD650's on my amp.

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #298 of 847
Quote:

Just a follow up to my previous post here. Talked to David but he wasn't sure what was going on with my MKVIse. even though I'm not the first owner it is still covered under the warranty. so it is on its way to ohio to get checked out. Guess I need a back-up amp.

That is GREAT! Not that it needs fixing, the fact that they are covering it anyway!
smily_headphones1.gif
Those guys are so great! Let us know when you get it back!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #299 of 847
I guess I'll be joining in with the people/person who's sending their MKIV SE for repair. Just this morning I heard a loud buzzing on my left channel. It's sounds like a grounding problem and it's definitely not my source. I'll contact David about this problem, but if anyone, maybe you Penchum had this sort of problem before and had fixed it, I'll very much appreciate that you post it here. Again, there's a loud buzzing noise from my left channel. Switching tube positions didn't help much either. Thanks for any replies and I sure hope this is covered by the warranty.

EDIT: Ok, when I switched the power tubes from their positions, the buzzing is now on my right channel. Then I noticed the volume is a little lower than usual. Turning it up only caused distortion when I'm sure last time I turned it up, it would hurt my ears. My best guess is that maybe the tubes are starting to wear out. I've had this amp since January 28, 2008 and I turn it on almost everyday, after work around 5pm and off around 12. I never have it on 12 hours straight, just about 4-6 hours a day at the most.

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #300 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I'll be joining in with the people/person who's sending their MKIV SE for repair. Just this morning I heard a loud buzzing on my left channel. It's sounds like a grounding problem and it's definitely not my source. I'll contact David about this problem, but if anyone, maybe you Penchum had this sort of problem before and had fixed it, I'll very much appreciate that you post it here. Again, there's a loud buzzing noise from my left channel. Switching tube positions didn't help much either. Thanks for any replies and I sure hope this is covered by the warranty.

EDIT: Ok, when I switched the power tubes from their positions, the buzzing is now on my right channel. Then I noticed the volume is a little lower than usual. Turning it up only caused distortion when I'm sure last time I turned it up, it would hurt my ears. My best guess is that maybe the tubes are starting to wear out. I've had this amp since January 28, 2008 and I turn it on almost everyday, after work around 5pm and off around 12. I never have it on 12 hours straight, just about 4-6 hours a day at the most.

You have a power tube going funky on you. It happens. Even though I'm sure David will send you another, I recommend buying a matched second set and burning them in and holding the others (unmatched) as spares. The volume drop in one channel is a dead give away that this channels power tube is going bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back