Review of Little-Dot MKIVse
Mar 3, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #226 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh sorry, I haven't keep you updated. I gave those tubes for matching and I should get them next week. I want to get the most out of them and I will be probably selling couple of pairs ahead to cover the expenses of matching.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please let us (and especially me) know what do YOU like the combo MKIV SE + RS-2.

BTW I managed to win Amperex 5654's from Yen Audio at eBay.

Penchum, do you like those russian 6Zh1P-EV tubes more than Amperex 5654?

Hi! Those 6Z tubes are the bomb! If you haven't purchased the Amperex yet, wait and see how much you like the 6Z's first. They are very dynamic and come close to the expensive tubes for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #227 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Penchum, when you tested the preamp function, did you feed the LD's output into the AUX input? If so, you are utilizing two preamps, which would not really yield accurate test results. Instead, you should try feeding the LD's pre into your Pioneer's "Power-in" jacks, so that you are driving the power amplifier directly.

BTW, SPEC gear is incredible stuff-- had a SPEC-4 once and it was awesome.

Great review, too--Can't wait til my new LD amp comes!

Thanks for the kind words!
smily_headphones1.gif
I did try the MKIVse's output to drive the SPEC4 amp directly, and it worked great! I had my Cerwin-Vega S-1's pumping over 100w RMS, but stopped so the neighbors won't turn me in.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm now using the MKIVse as my primary headphone amp, hooked to my computer via Zero DAC/Amp. The sound still blows me away!

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #228 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought this amp from him! I can't wait to get my eager hooves on it!
biggrin.gif

Congratulations! It is one fine amp for sure!
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #229 of 847
i´ve received my MK IVse today (ordered at 29.02) i can only say
eek.gif
eek.gif

wow that thing looks and sounds impessive. (LD MK III for sale
biggrin.gif
)

the MK III is very good, but ist really worth to buy the MK IV - the endless
Power and lightness of playing, still
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

greets
Stefan

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #230 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by webghost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i´ve received my MK IVse today (ordered at 29.02) i can only say
eek.gif
eek.gif

wow that thing looks and sounds impessive. (LD MK III for sale
biggrin.gif
)

the MK III is very good, but ist really worth to buy the MK IV - the endless
Power and lightness of playing, still
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

greets
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Congratulations!
smily_headphones1.gif
Un-boxing a MKIVse and hooking it up and listening for the first time is always a great experience!
smily_headphones1.gif
It takes about 100 hours for the MKIVse to "mature" all the way, so listening gets more enjoyable as the hours tick away.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #232 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Penchum, which gain do you use or think the best for HD650?

5 or 10 works fine. For me, I have one source that has a lower output, so I leave mine at 10 to accommodate it. SQ and noise wise, it will not make a difference which one you have it on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #233 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi! Those 6Z tubes are the bomb! If you haven't purchased the Amperex yet, wait and see how much you like the 6Z's first. They are very dynamic and come close to the expensive tubes for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the tip. I received my 6ZH1P-EV today and for now the only difference I see with the Mullard M8100 is the better price of the 6Z's !

As for tube rolling of power tubes, my LD MKIVse came with the Mullard E182CC so I ordered two 1955 TUNG-SOL USN-5687 WA tubes with Black Plate + D getter.. and I was disappointed with their sound. It's too clear/dry for my taste; I really prefer the smooth, warm and sweet sound of the Mullard, so I was wondering if someone knew a good tube alternative to the Mullard E182CC ? I don't mind sticking with the Mullard but it could be nice to hear a tube that is even "better" (warmer/sweeter) or just to hear what you think of other tube in the 5687, 7044, 7119, 6900, ECC182 tube family.

Mar 7, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #236 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danika k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the Sylvania Gold Brand 6AK5 on their Little Dot? I heard that Sylvanias are great for vocals and I happen to listen to a lot of light vocal music...

Sylvania Gold Brand NOS 5654 / 6AK5 Little Dot Amp EF95 - eBay (item 280205414049 end time Mar-08-08 15:11:00 PST)

what do you guys think? thx

I wish I knew. They always extract a high price, so I've passed on them. An alternative would be the GE "Mobile Audio" 5654's that pop up on eBay from time to time. They are excellent in the "vocals" range and higher.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #237 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by shotmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the tip. I received my 6ZH1P-EV today and for now the only difference I see with the Mullard M8100 is the better price of the 6Z's !

As for tube rolling of power tubes, my LD MKIVse came with the Mullard E182CC so I ordered two 1955 TUNG-SOL USN-5687 WA tubes with Black Plate + D getter.. and I was disappointed with their sound. It's too clear/dry for my taste; I really prefer the smooth, warm and sweet sound of the Mullard, so I was wondering if someone knew a good tube alternative to the Mullard E182CC ? I don't mind sticking with the Mullard but it could be nice to hear a tube that is even "better" (warmer/sweeter) or just to hear what you think of other tube in the 5687, 7044, 7119, 6900, ECC182 tube family.

The Amperex 7119 and the Arcturus 7044 are the two that come to mind for warmer/sweeter.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #238 of 847
I have the amp with me in my house right now, but I can't hook it up right now because my girlfriend is over.
redface.gif

But can somebody please see if something moves inside their amp when you pick it up and move the case around? Tilting forward and backwards makes something small inside slide, and every now and then when I tilt it left and right, it sounds like a small something is bouncing and tumbling around. But nothing has fallen out of the gaps underneath, which is puzzling.

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, I opened it up and a piece of hot glue fell out. Do you think I should be concerned about that? The way it was formed was at a right angle, so I assume it was used to hold a cable somewhere.

Mar 8, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #239 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the amp with me in my house right now, but I can't hook it up right now because my girlfriend is over.
redface.gif

But can somebody please see if something moves inside their amp when you pick it up and move the case around? Tilting forward and backwards makes something small inside slide, and every now and then when I tilt it left and right, it sounds like a small something is bouncing and tumbling around. But nothing has fallen out of the gaps underneath, which is puzzling.

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, I opened it up and a piece of hot glue fell out. Do you think I should be concerned about that? The way it was formed was at a right angle, so I assume it was used to hold a cable somewhere.

That might be from where the LED meets the back of the faceplate? I don't think I'd worry too much. Glad to hear it arrived!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #240 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Amperex 7119 and the Arcturus 7044 are the two that come to mind for warmer/sweeter.
smily_headphones1.gif

Arcturus was a rebrander so the tube was something else; probably a GE or Sylvania. The GE 7044's are the warmer of the two. There is a true RCA 7044, which can be hard to find that I have never tried. RCA's tend to be warmer sounding tubes in general so the RCA would be another possibility. From what I can tell GE, RCA and Sylvania were the only ones who made this tube. I have some Tung Sol branded 7044's but they were rebranded Sylvania tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back