Review of Little-Dot MKIVse
Feb 14, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #211 of 847
Wohoo! I finally got my return Mk4SE today (my Mk4 broke, so I took the opportunity and traded up
smily_headphones1.gif
). Been playing some music, not alot 'cause today has been busy. But so far I´m loving what I´m hearing with both my K701s and my all new ESW9s
cool.gif

One thing that surprised me when I unboxed it was that I noticed that I had the Electro Harmonix 6H30PI power tubes, combined with the Western Electrics 408A driver tubes, don´t think I´ve seen that combo before ( ? ). Only negative thing about the WE 408As are that these don´t glow as much as my previous Mk4s 5654 tubes
tongue.gif

Might as well ask you guys too, what sort of tube rolling will I be able to do with this unit (other HQ tubes such as WE 408As)? As when I looked on eBay about a month ago, the availability of WE 408As weren´t plenty (found 2 total, 2 guys selling 1 tube each). Though I probably won´t be needing new driver tubes any time soon, as those have really high estimated life lenght.

Well I´ll be doing some heavy burn-in for a couple of weeks, so I get a good amount of hours on this one, just as my returned Mk4, and then I´ll probably return with some more in-depth opinions about this abso f-ing lutely fabulous head amp
biggrin.gif

*Edit* Also expect a reviving of the Tube glow thread real soon
wink.gif

*Edit2* Uploaded pics in the "Night Time Shots Of Our Tubes Glowing..." thread

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #212 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKvC-SainT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wohoo! I finally got my return Mk4SE today (my Mk4 broke, so I took the opportunity and traded up
smily_headphones1.gif
). Been playing some music, not alot 'cause today has been busy. But so far I´m loving what I´m hearing with both my K701s and my all new ESW9s
cool.gif

One thing that surprised me when I unboxed it was that I noticed that I had the Electro Harmonix 6H30PI power tubes, combined with the Western Electrics 408A driver tubes, don´t think I´ve seen that combo before ( ? ). Only negative thing about the WE 408As are that these don´t glow as much as my previous Mk4s 5654 tubes
tongue.gif

Might as well ask you guys too, what sort of tube rolling will I be able to do with this unit (other HQ tubes such as WE 408As)? As when I looked on eBay about a month ago, the availability of WE 408As weren´t plenty (found 2 total, 2 guys selling 1 tube each). Though I probably won´t be needing new driver tubes any time soon, as those have really high estimated life lenght.

Well I´ll be doing some heavy burn-in for a couple of weeks, so I get a good amount of hours on this one, just as my returned Mk4, and then I´ll probably return with some more in-depth opinions about this abso f-ing lutely fabulous head amp
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZyen1233

wink.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #213 of 847
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif
cool.gif

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Congratulations! (Again)
biggrin.gif

I'm trying to understand the tube situation you have. Are you sure those are 408A's, not 403B's????

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #214 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations! (Again)
biggrin.gif

I'm trying to understand the tube situation you have. Are you sure those are 408A's, not 403B's????

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

As said it clearly says 408A on the tube, so I think this might be yet another new variant of the Mk4SE
eek.gif

Also thanks to DoA, though not sure those are compatible with my amp. Will have to send David an email asking which my options are
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #215 of 847
Quote:

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

As said it clearly says 408A on the tube, so I think this might be yet another new variant of the Mk4SE
eek.gif

Also thanks to DoA, though not sure those are compatible with my amp. Will have to send David an email asking which my options are
smily_headphones1.gif

A cool one though! The 408A is very musical!

Feb 15, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #216 of 847
Quote:

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

eek.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

No sweat, I would send a message to that ebay seller, he's helped me out a few times before when I had questions.

Feb 20, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #217 of 847
I have now GE Five Stars in stead of M8100's. It sounds a bit harsh straight from the box but I think I can hear more details from music. Have to burn in them more to evaluate them properly.

I also got 10 pcs of those Russian 6Zh1P-EV tubes today. I'll match them before I'll start using them.

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #218 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have now GE Five Stars in stead of M8100's. It sounds a bit harsh straight from the box but I think I can hear more details from music. Have to burn in them more to evaluate them properly.

I also got 10 pcs of those Russian 6Zh1P-EV tubes today. I'll match them before I'll start using them.

I'm pretty sure those 5-stars are going to be brighter, but the harshness should pass soon. I can't wait to hear what you think about the 6Zh1P-EV's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #220 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danika k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the International 403B tubes? If so how do they sound? I have a pair of Tung-Sol 403B's and love 'em thanks to you guys!

I have a pair, they're a bit brighter than the Tung-Sols, quite good synergy with my Senn 650.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #221 of 847
Mar 2, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #222 of 847
Oh sorry, I haven't keep you updated. I gave those tubes for matching and I should get them next week. I want to get the most out of them and I will be probably selling couple of pairs ahead to cover the expenses of matching.

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #223 of 847
Hey Penchum, when you tested the preamp function, did you feed the LD's output into the AUX input? If so, you are utilizing two preamps, which would not really yield accurate test results. Instead, you should try feeding the LD's pre into your Pioneer's "Power-in" jacks, so that you are driving the power amplifier directly.

BTW, SPEC gear is incredible stuff-- had a SPEC-4 once and it was awesome.

Great review, too--Can't wait til my new LD amp comes!

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #224 of 847
Quote:

Originally Posted by snoop_005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep the amp sounds amazing..too bad im selling mine, too much bills stacked up....

I just bought this amp from him! I can't wait to get my eager hooves on it!
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #225 of 847
Please let us (and especially me) know what do YOU like the combo MKIV SE + RS-2.

BTW I managed to win Amperex 5654's from Yen Audio at eBay.

Penchum, do you like those russian 6Zh1P-EV tubes more than Amperex 5654?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back