[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Jul 24, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #316 of 2,011
I liked the cable of my Philips SHE9800, it was indeed a lot quieter :p

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #317 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrazino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody gotten their RE0 with the new knit cable yet? How good is it?

It's fine, I've seen far worse (ahem... sennheiser). I have no idea what people are complaining about. Worn over-the-ear (obviously) and with a shirt clip the microphonics are minimal, and the cable feels nice and sturdy. Sure there are less microphonic IEMs... but there are a lot that're worse, too.

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #318 of 2,011
Finally got my RE0's in!

The most expensive pair of buds I've owned prior to this was the Marshmallows and Jbuds J2, so I was expecting a big upgrade. So far, I'm not really impressed. The only thing about these that I like is that the highs seem to be crisp and nice, and I can hear a bit more detail in my music.

Soundstage is meh, as well as bass. I find them to be simply...boring I guess the word is.

Hopefully some burn-in will change my opinion. To be honest, listening to music on my marshmallows and j2's sound more "fun."

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #319 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacon_N_Cheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally got my RE0's in!

The most expensive pair of buds I've owned prior to this was the Marshmallows and Jbuds J2, so I was expecting a big upgrade. So far, I'm not really impressed. The only thing about these that I like is that the highs seem to be crisp and nice, and I can hear a bit more detail in my music.

Soundstage is meh, as well as bass. I find them to be simply...boring I guess the word is.

Hopefully some burn-in will change my opinion. To be honest, listening to music on my marshmallows and j2's sound more "fun."

You might also need some time for your own ears to adjust. You're going from two COMPLETELY different headphones. When I first got the re2s I wasn't that impressed at all, but they very quickly became a fave of mine after getting used to them.

I'm selling my re0's just because I want to experiment a little with different sounds. I still love them though.

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #321 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
give them a week of use then give your old ones a try and see what your ears make of them.

btw u are using high bitrate songs?

this. after about a week with the re0 i couldnt go back to my previous phones which had more bass. i could right away notice the exaggerated and muddy bass and poor highs in comparison.

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #322 of 2,011
Got my RE0 today. Right from the box I didn't like the sound much. Too bright, no bass. Nice mids, I must admit. But sometimes too detailed. As mentioned above by casper, it'll probably takes time to adjust. After all, all I can compare with is HD650, which is, I believe, completly different league. Talking about bass, there's no chance to compare RE0 to HD650.

I've been playing RE0 just for 2 hours now. Those of you, who have RE0 for some time now, could you please comment on changes, say, after 50 hours?

thanks.

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #323 of 2,011
From what I've read and my experience in owning them is that they only change a slight bit. Most difference should be from finding the right tips for them.

I think you have the 30 day trial. I might recommend returning/selling them and getting the new Denon C710 if you want something more resembling the HD650 signature.

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #324 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read and my experience in owning them is that they only change a slight bit. Most difference should be from finding the right tips for them.

I think you have the 30 day trial. I might recommend returning/selling them and getting the new Denon C710 if you want something more resembling the HD650 signature.

One more hour passed. I'm getting used to them a bit. Just experienced something strange. I briefly tried HD650 and was really surprised how muddy senn sounded.
confused_face_2.gif

I quickly switched both 650 and RE0 3-4 times, listening to different type of music just to understand what was going on. Everything is back to normal now. I still do prefer that laid back sound of HD650 much more in comparison with detailed, bit analytical (and bit harsh) sound of RE0. Nevertheless, it's not all black and white. I suspect I might love RE0 later. In a way.

Anyway, thanks for an advice on Denon. I'm not going to return RE0 due to the fact that I bought them from China directly, have them shipped accross the world and it would cost me a fortune to ship them back.

And I believe RE0s deserve a second chance
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=xx-small](sorry for my English, not a native speaker
redface.gif
)[/size]

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #326 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0's really need amping to bring out their full potential/the bass.

There. Finally someone said it. Listening to them now from a Total Airhead and they are improved on every level. Biggest increase is to soundstage, followed by bass response and overall involvement. I can't stop
icon10.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #327 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
give them a week of use then give your old ones a try and see what your ears make of them.

btw u are using high bitrate songs?

Alright I'll give them a week. Ummm well 320 kbps MP3 is decent enough right?

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #328 of 2,011
Quote:

Yep, 320k is fine for all but the most critical listening.

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #329 of 2,011
I'm using P-51 Mustang. Amping shouldn't be a problem. It's probably more about bitrate and generally: good recording. What I've read and can confirm so far, RE0 are "recording sensitive". To be honest, sometimes I was surprised by the level of detail - but in that good way. I can write here little bit more after 20-30 hours of listening. If someone is interested, please let me know.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #330 of 2,011
Quote:

yeah 320k should be fine and you might want to get a FiiO E5, the bass boost really does nicely bump the low end on them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back