[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Jul 25, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #331 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah 320k should be fine and you might want to get a FiiO E5, the bass boost really does nicely bump the low end on them

I just have one question on that, and I've asked it a few times before.
What genres should work well with the RE0 + E5 and / or should I be looking at the FX500 / CKS70 if my main music genres are Electronic, Rock and Drum and Bass?

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #332 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just have one question on that, and I've asked it a few times before.
What genres should work well with the RE0 + E5 and / or should I be looking at the FX500 / CKS70 if my main music genres are Electronic, Rock and Drum and Bass?

if you want lots of abundant bass even with the fiio the re-0 are never going to be that but the fiio does make them sound much more natural and balanced and not so high end focused. they are just like the ety er4, all about detail and clarity not thumping out bass. now i think once fiio'ed everything works well on them, especially fast music so i can see rock going very very well on them but if you are used to low end dynamics that are so bass abundant they will still sound very bass light in comparison.

however if you are not after a bass monster and are willing to always have the fiio connected then the re-0 are just great but they may give you may detail than you want and a bit more treble too (olives tone down the treble very nicely i think but then im treble sensitive)

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #333 of 2,011
okay ive just take the er4p's out of my ears and put the RE0 in, hell yeah they are good for the money. ive got olives on them and it tones down that sharp treble to make my ears happyer and bumps up the bass too i think (or could just be brain hearing more bass since less treble) but i like them, they are fast clean and detailed. god they feel fast with out the same brutality of the etys.

i really want to say i think these would go well with everything but i know that others will want more bass but there is nothing wrong with the amount its just a preference thing if you want more. the bass is good and deep, damn it these are a hell of a good buy

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #334 of 2,011
I'm really, really, really, seriously beginning to dislike myself for joing Head-Fi. If I hadn't, I would probably just have bought a Sennheiser or something, and now I'm stuck between several brands I never even heard of before joining here.
redface.gif

Anyways, I'm just going to see if I can find some more comparisions between the RE0 and other IEM's. Hope to make my final decision next week. Or maybe the week after that. Or maybe not at all!
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #335 of 2,011
Just tried out my new RE0 against my old CX95s. The comparison certainly makes the CX95s sound like they have cotton wool drivers.

In terms of bass, the RE0 are a little light and the Fiio is pretty essential for drum and bass etc. The speed and detail is excellent though. The balance is getting close to my ideal.

I also have RE2s which I still think hold up very well against RE0s and anything else I have tried considering the price.

EDIT: I have just listened to some Pendulum without the amp and its still pretty good, just better with the amp.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #338 of 2,011
I think I'm beginning to understand why buying your first IEM's is going to cost you money in the future. I've been looking around here for almost two months now and I'm about ready to buy my first pair. The problem is that I still have lots of options and can't choose between them.

What most of you seem to do is just choose one, and buy another later, so that you have two IEM's (or more) with different sound signatures. There's simply no IEM out there that does everything perfectly. Maybe I should just buy the RE0 and the E5 and try something else later on. That way I already have an amp and I can easily sell the RE0 for more than it's worth now, because the price will probably go up again. Still, it's a difficult decision.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #339 of 2,011
I think you hit the head on the nail, there is no perfect sound. It's YOUR sound. You can fiddle with the settings to get your sound out of the RE0 for instance. I wanted a little more bass, so with a bit of EQing I have a sound that I like.
True, you can always sell it again and buy some other.

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #340 of 2,011
Just got my E5 delivered and had it connected to my S9 and RE0 for a few hours. I had the RE0 for about a week and a half without the amp. My initial impressions lead me be uncertain as to recommend the E5 for RE0 users. To me the treb sounds a lot more crisp without it. I was using complys previous to having the amp (to smooth out the treb which was a bit overwhelming to my ears). Writing this post gave me an epiphany! I should try to go back to silicon tips and see how it matches with the E5. Will come back to write my impressions.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #341 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by regenade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bacon_N_Cheese its very unlucky for you;i live in turkey and i got my re0 in 7 days...

Chicaman i also got problem and with my pairs and sent for replacement with my pairs;Ive missed my re0 so much;they didn't came from the guarantee back
frown.gif
But i started to worry about if there would be any problems in the future that i dont wanna deal with...

Guys do you think e5 and re0 combo is much much better than e3&re0? What do you think;if it is i am gonna order a fiio e5 amp.

I just sent mine out for replacement today!

how long it took for replacement? I miss it very very much!

Jul 27, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #343 of 2,011
My RE0s have broken after about a week of light use. One of the earpiece casings have just fallen apart. I could fix it with some glue, but it seems a bit soon to be repairing new, relatively expensive IEMs.

While im trrying to get them sorted I have switched back to me RE2s. I still think they are very good but its clear now that they pale in comparison.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #344 of 2,011
During the first week of burn in I found the RE0 to be harsh, very so. I though that the mids were very recessed and they were not pleasent to listen to.

I've now burned them in for a very long time, and don't think they are harsh anymore. The mids are there even at very low volumes (4/50 on european cowon D2).

I find the medium single flanges to fit and sound the best for me. The bass lacks just a little bit of quantity (compared to my RS1 and HD600) but it's fine. The sound is smooth but still exiting. I keep singing along when going to work and they do make me tap my feet and headbang.

I've listened to almost everything with these, from Beethoven to Sophie Zelmani to Slayer and it all sound good.

I will not send these back. They work perfectly fine for what I wanted them to do -> portable isolating headphones.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #345 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarlet Infidel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My RE0s have broken after about a week of light use. One of the earpiece casings have just fallen apart. I could fix it with some glue, but it seems a bit soon to be repairing new, relatively expensive IEMs.

While im trrying to get them sorted I have switched back to me RE2s. I still think they are very good but its clear now that they pale in comparison.

The same thing happened to mine on the left side.. I deciding between sending it back for a replacement or just gluing it back.. I leaning on just gluing it back though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back