[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Jul 29, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #346 of 2,011
If anyone has (or had, to compare) both an original pair from when they were released (@$229) and a recent pair from the summer sale, I'd be curious if there's any discernible difference in build or sound quality. A price drop (even in two steps) this large makes me wonder whether today's RE0 is the same as the initial release.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #347 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robisan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone has (or had, to compare) both an original pair from when they were released (@$229) and a recent pair from the summer sale, I'd be curious if there's any discernible difference in build or sound quality. A price drop (even in two steps) this large makes me wonder whether today's RE0 is the same as the initial release.

There are certainly differences that have been documented. The ones I can remember is the nylon-wrapped cord on the new ones and the lack of the cool DIY-style dragon case.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #348 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are certainly differences that have been documented. The ones I can remember is the nylon-wrapped cord on the new ones and the lack of the cool DIY-style dragon case.

Well, I can live without a case for $100+ less
wink.gif
and even cosmetic changes on the cord, but how about SQ difference? I haven't seen any posts saying "hey these things sound different or not as good," but I'm wondering whether anyone has actually side-by-side tested the SQ between the 'vintages?'

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #349 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robisan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I can live without a case for $100+ less
wink.gif
and even cosmetic changes on the cord, but how about SQ difference? I haven't seen any posts saying "hey these things sound different or not as good," but I'm wondering whether anyone has actually side-by-side tested the SQ between the 'vintages?'

That would be rather unfair of Head-Direct, to change the sound qualities of a pair of headphones without changing the model designation after all the reviews have been written. Doesn't seem like something they would do.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #350 of 2,011
Quote:

That would be rather unfair of Head-Direct, to change the sound qualities of a pair of headphones without changing the model designation after all the reviews have been written. Doesn't seem like something they would do.

I agree, hope they didn't, think it's unlikely they did. Presumption of innocence holds. Still, caveat emptor -- Such drastic price drops are curious. I'm just throwing the question out there in case someone had done this or has both and can do this.

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #352 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is the cord on the newer model then worse or something? Is there like a pic to compare both?

Sure. First, a pic of the old cord:

the_earphones.jpg

And a closeup of the new on:

2009Jun28095518RE0-5.jpg

As you can see, the old one is rubberized plastic and the new one is a nylon sheath. I have the new cord on my RE0s and the old cord on my RE2s (new RE2s have the nylon cord as well), and I prefer the nylon one. It's prone to kinking as the nylon fibers have some memory to them, but the old one was more prone to outright tangling. The new cable is slightly less microphonic IMO, but neither one is a problem for me as I wear all IEMs over-the-ear.

I think it just comes down to which one you prefer, rather than their performance characteristics, and I prefer the new cord. It feels sturdier and more pleasant to the touch, and adds some quality feel to the whole earphone.

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #355 of 2,011
The style of the jack is the same.
I prefer the new cord, too. It looks more sturdy (to me.)
SQ wise, I didn't have the old version of RE0.
But I'd judge the SQ as quite good. The sound is just as most reviews said.
Neutral and smooth highs, quite good even compared to the top-end IEMs.
(My inventory: IE8, Westone 3 and SCL5, btw., Custom FreQ Show and Livewire)

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #357 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmushy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have a comparision between the Audéo PFE and the RE0.

I am not sure which one i should purchase and price isnt the issue since they are about the same.

I asked pretty much the same question here. There are some opinions in there that might help you out, but direct comparisons of the two are scarce.

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #358 of 2,011
Quote:

I asked pretty much the same question here. There are some opinions in there that might help you out, but direct comparisons of the two are scarce.

Hmm im thinking about buying both and returning whichever one i dont like. You are right there are no real opinions on the board (i searched plenty before i posted)

Earphone solutions has 20% off coupon at the moment so im thinking thats the best route unless someone knows where to get them cheaper

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #359 of 2,011
Purchased and have been using my RE0's for a about 2 weeks now. Absolutely love them, but about a week ago, the nylon sheath on the right cable came apart where the splitter is and just now the sound isn't working on the right earbud. What do I do?

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #360 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramennn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Purchased and have been using my RE0's for a about 2 weeks now. Absolutely love them, but about a week ago, the nylon sheath on the right cable came apart where the splitter is and just now the sound isn't working on the right earbud. What do I do?

Warranty replacement, of course. email Fang at head.direct@gmail.com with your order number and problem, that should do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back