[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Jul 14, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #286 of 2,011
I just sold my RE0's to mark, excellent phones and don't let this discourage anyone from buying, I just put my FX66's in my ears today and missed the warm bassy sound, so I'm gonna get some Senn IE6's and Grado sr80/60's instead, but the RE0's are amazing

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #287 of 2,011
I played a bit with the EQ on my D2(+). Pumped up the low a bit for some bass, and the high a bit to bring it back in balance. Real nice sound now.

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #288 of 2,011
Decided to take the plunge and ordered a pair. My first serious pair of any kind of headphones. For months I've been watching the price of HD 555's and AD700 fluctuate on Amazon, but I figured what the hell, with an IEM it's much more portable.

Goodbye marshmallows

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #289 of 2,011
I just finish listening to 'PM's Love theme' from Love Actually O.S.T., going forward and back b/w RE0, TF10 and SE530. This particular performance is a mix of orchestra and electronic instruments, quite suited for demonstrating the strengths and weaknesses b/w these three IEM.

For RE0, it feels like the performance is taking place in a large, open top stadium while I am sitting just a few feet away. Yes the drum is placed slightly too far away to give me the heart pounding effect and I am sitting too close to the performers to have a proper sense of space, but I can clearly tell the sound from each row of instruments, like they have all been placed in different layers of their own.

For TF10, it feels like the performance is taking place in a mid sized concert hall while I am sitting in the first few rows. I can feel the sound bouncing around the wall giving the sense of airiness but the layers of instruments are no longer clearly distinguishable. The finest of the detail seems to get absorbed by the distance and the wall.

For SE530, it feels like the performance is taking place in small school hall and I am in the middle of the room. At first everything seems fine but when the drum and all the other instruments start kicking in, any sense of space is quickly overwhelmed and all the sound seems to get meshed together.

For this piece of music, I think RE0 is showing its best - but don't confuse RE0 to be universally best. TF10 is still more balanced sounding and SE530 is still great with vocal. The point is, even with the relatively low price of RE0 now, you should know what kind of sound signature you like first. Buying gear w/o regard to your own taste is just a waste of time and money. More than often, sound quality is in the ears of the beholder.

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #290 of 2,011
Small update. I've continued to play Infected Mushroom through my RE0 since my last post, and the harshness I felt back then have been reduced a lot. The mids are not as thin also. It might be burn in or I've just gotten used to them but I like them more now at ~110h burn in.

Jul 18, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #292 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2-3 business days.

definitely 2 days for same state. i got it in 3 days from NY to CA

Fang is very quick in processing orders so you if place one today and send an e-mail stating you need them by Tuesday, I'm sure it'll be there.

So if they ship out Friday, it'll arrive Tuesday.

It's not 2-3 business days. Ordered mine Tuesday, still hasn't come. And I live in PA.

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #293 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacon_N_Cheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not 2-3 business days. Ordered mine Tuesday, still hasn't come. And I live in PA.

You are more the exception than the rule then. I'm in Cali as well and I've gotten several Head-Direct purchases, each in 3 business days.

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #294 of 2,011
If an item is not in stock in NY it will be sent from China. My RE0 had to come from China.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #296 of 2,011
I got mine just 2 days back...I can feel the slight amount of harshness that is there in RE2 for the first few hours but after burning in for 20hrs,they are on a differnet level.I think RE2 is definiltely lacking bass but here it is adequate.But again no comparisions to RE2 at all.

atsmile.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #297 of 2,011
It only took about 4-5 days for shipment from China, and I live in Canada. Superb service from Fang. My initial order had been mixed up where my RE0 arrived but E5 was missing. Got an email just in a few hours with a tracking number already included, and is now on its way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine just 2 days back...I can feel the slight amount of harshness that is there in RE2 for the first few hours but after burning in for 20hrs,they are on a differnet level.I think RE2 is definiltely lacking bass but here it is adequate.But again no comparisions to RE2 at all.

atsmile.gif

I definitely agree. Initially out of the box the treb was overwhelming and I got fatigued very easily just half an hour or so of listening. After some burn in the harshness has subsided substantially and they are sounding better and better.

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #298 of 2,011
Reposting my questions from another thread here:

I've been thinking of upgrading from Sennheiser CX-95 for awhile now (mostly due to a nagging feeling that they're fake), and I saw the deal for RE0 and general consensus on their quality and price. Just wondering if it's worth it, and if there would be a noticeable improvement in sound quality (and if so, where's the best place to order from Ontario, Canada)? I mostly listen to classic rock, but also some jazz and vocal-heavy stuff. I like bass, but it's not the top priority and in fact would prefer them to not be too overwhelming. I tend to use them in both noisy and quiet environments - do the RE0 do a good job at blocking outside noise, but also prevent it from leaking out (sorry for lack of technical terms), and how do they compare with CX-95 in these respects?

Thanks.

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #299 of 2,011
Well Zenigamer the best place to get them is directly from Head-direct.
Bass is certainly not too overwhelming. I found it a bit too light to my liking and with a bit of fiddeling with the equaliser it's great.
I use them in the train and I noticed the RE0 is very good in blocking outside noise, leaking is very low. I can turn up the volume quite high and my fellow passengers don't hear my music (as it should be).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back