[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM
Jul 13, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #271 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice going
smily_headphones1.gif
now burn em in for 50ish hours and you'll like em even more!
still upset about not being able to get a comfortable seal on mine, never had issues with other IEM's
frown.gif
the complys work great but take a bit of SQ away imo, bi-flanges go in deeeep if I do the over the ear but the left ear is mighty uncomfortable. I'm gonna order some of the bi-flanges from Mark's sig see if they make a difference

Oddly, I found that the tips that work best for me are the hard-ish Soundmagic foamies from my PL30s. Using those as well as the excellent Soundmagic hard case and enjoying the RE0s even more.

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #272 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oddly, I found that the tips that work best for me are the hard-ish Soundmagic foamies from my PL30s. Using those as well as the excellent Soundmagic hard case and enjoying the RE0s even more.

yea, tis just a bit
frown.gif
coz well, for starters my right ear canal with the bi-flanges, both sizes, the phone slips right in and is comfortable. The left, well it goes in if I wiggle it around quite alot but its still uncomfortable. The bi-flanges in marks sig are meant to be alot softer so hopefully that'll be good

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #273 of 2,011
I started to write a first-impression post, but it got rather lengthy so I trashed it.

Instead a few short reflections (50h burn-in. Cowon D2. Stock medium single flanges):

* The most similar headphone I've heard would be the DT880 2005. A bit elevated treble, dark slightly recessed midrange.

* They lack a bit of body. Maybe more than a bit also.

* So far I find them rather harsh. Of all the full-sized headphones I've had I think these are the harshest. I think this is attributed to the lack of body and slightly thin and grating midrange. I do not think the Grados I've tried are harsh either. It doesn't sound as refined as the DT880 either, which makes it a little bit harsher than that one.

* Lowering the volume doesn't help a lot as it sounds like the body it has at medium volumes is the first to go at lower volumes and it sound even thinner.

I will let them burn-in more and experiment with tips.

From a sound-signature point of view, I think the Fiio E3 is almost the perfect synergy. The E3 enhances the low midrange A LOT and this have not worked very well with the headphones I've tried it with yet, but with the RE0 it really works. I've not yet decided if the result is better or worse with it yet though.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #274 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started to write a first-impression post, but it got rather lengthy so I trashed it.

Instead a few short reflections (50h burn-in. Cowon D2. Stock medium single flanges):

* The most similar headphone I've heard would be the DT880 2005. A bit elevated treble, dark slightly recessed midrange.

* They lack a bit of body. Maybe more than a bit also.

* So far I find them rather harsh. Of all the full-sized headphones I've had I think these are the harshest. I think this is attributed to the lack of body and slightly thin and grating midrange. I do not think the Grados I've tried are harsh either. It doesn't sound as refined as the DT880 either, which makes it a little bit harsher than that one.

* Lowering the volume doesn't help a lot as it sounds like the body it has at medium volumes is the first to go at lower volumes and it sound even thinner.

I will let them burn-in more and experiment with tips.

From a sound-signature point of view, I think the Fiio E3 is almost the perfect synergy. The E3 enhances the low midrange A LOT and this have not worked very well with the headphones I've tried it with yet, but with the RE0 it really works. I've not yet decided if the result is better or worse with it yet though.

I was going to get the Fiio E5, but you think the E3 is better?

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #275 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by GzusReigns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to get the Fiio E5, but you think the E3 is better?

I have never tried the E5. I would imagine that the E5 with bass boost is similar to the E3. I only use the E3 because I had it at home and got one with the RE0, but if I would buy one today I would choose the E5. I see no reason to get the E3 over the E5. Maybe one who have heard both could comment.

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #276 of 2,011
Jul 13, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #278 of 2,011
Yep, the E5 has a slightly different impact on sound than the E3, but it is not worth considering the E3 with all the disadvantages it has to the E5. For me the deciding factor is the amount of EM interference that the E3 receives, which is just unacceptable.

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #280 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I would suggest a good amp instead, like some German Corda, American RSA or Headamp, instead of Chinese stuff. Those should satisfy all one's amplifying needs, with none of the Chinese gripes.

Yeah, well those outclass the Fiio amps somewhat. The FIIO amps are great for a little bass boost or as an inline volume control/static attenuator, but noone expects them to compete with the $300 heavyweight portable amps like your cordas/rsas/miniboxes etc. On the other hand, almost everyone can afford a Fiio and it can be handy gadget to have around.

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #281 of 2,011
Yeah, sure, the price is always the dominating factor. I just wanted to comment on the EM/RF factor... which none of the European/American amps suffer from, only the rather shabby Chinese (which I heard lots of).

Damn, this is starting to sound.. wrong - even if it's the truth.

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #282 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, sure, the price is always the dominating factor. I just wanted to comment on the EM/RF factor... which none of the European/American amps suffer from, only the rather shabby Chinese (which I heard lots of).

Damn, this is starting to sound.. wrong - even if it's the truth.

Yes... a little Eurocentricity shining through there. And I agree that the Chinese designs seem to particularly succeptable to EM issues. No such problems even with cheap amps such as the Total Airhead and PA2V2. A decent cmoy probably fares better as well. But hey, the E5 is a huge step from the E3, and hopefully the E1/E7 will be even better-shielded than that.

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #283 of 2,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who tested this mod?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...le-mod-376745/

I have, as well as with and without the filter. Don't do it unless you have EQing capability and I don't mean light EQing, like +10 band EQing so you can fine tune the top end down properly. Too much treble. Feel free to try it though if you want, but I'll bet you'll have the foam back in within a couple days. Leave it in. It's just better that way. It's much easier to EQ up the treble just a hair then to EQ down the treble a whole lot.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, well those outclass the Fiio amps somewhat. The FIIO amps are great for a little bass boost or as an inline volume control/static attenuator, but noone expects them to compete with the $300 heavyweight portable amps like your cordas/rsas/miniboxes etc. On the other hand, almost everyone can afford a Fiio and it can be handy gadget to have around.

Yep. For a $25 tiny thing, the E5 does function quite well for its job. I started off with one. I later stepped to a 2Move and haven't gone back. However, the jump in amp isn't drastic, noticeable, better, yes, but me stepping to something well regarded like the 2Move did show me that something small and cheap like the E5 does actually perform admirably and without much fault. The only thing I really questioned with the E5 was power. I can tell noticeably the difference in available power between the E5 and 2Move when running my OK1 buds, even when not playing terribly loud. There was just a little more dynamic range and effortlessness in the sound. I got the hint that the RE0 also could use a little more power although it doesn't show major indicators of lacking. I just have a feeling the dynamic range of the RE0 could improve when enough juice is actually available. I was never really certain the E5 was quite up to the task although it is a nice, little amp. I can't say now though as I traded my RE0 in for the OK1 and no longer own one to run with the 2Move.

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #284 of 2,011
I think fiio e3 does a very good job with sansa clip.It boosts the volume up 25 percent and i used a fiio e5 before; i think fiio e3 is nice for its price and has a good relationship with re0.I assume that if fiio e5 made a much better job with re0;it would be free except fiio e3.But fiio e3 doesn't make any noticeable difference except boostvolume and soundstage...

About the tips i wonder if there would be better tips that i can use more relax and get better isolation without losing sq.I tried all the tips that comes with re0 and,its medium tip on it is by far the best.It is very relax and fits good to my ear.It is the most suitable for re0's design;but i wanna ask you guys if there would be better options i will try and use them.We can talk about this situation and try different tips ;after that write our results..

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #285 of 2,011
I used the white multi-flange half the time as it fit the nicest. However, I swapped to the slightly larger clearish multi-flange for a noticeably better seal. It just was uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time. A nice foam tip that came stock would have been awesome. There's actually a thread covering available tips for the RE0.
Headphonic Forums | Australian Headphone Forums • View topic - List of RE0 compatible tips.

The Comfly T-400 would be an obvious choice.

The only things with the E3 is that bass boost can't be turned off and at least for me, I had noticeable noise from the amp. With the E5 adding an on/off for the bass boost, volume control, and not having noise, it's basically a clear winner. I really can't see using the E3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back