REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Aug 22, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #1,142 of 1,326
Just bought a HiFiMan EF2 only to find out that it is not x64 bit compatible!!!!? So will not run on either win 7 or vista x64! Bugger...it's only good fir the 32bit systems. You can still use the RCA, but not the USB. Anyone else found this!?

Also there is now a EF2a version? Anyone own one? What's the difference? Bet it's dac is 64bit compatible right!? Would be just my luck!

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #1,144 of 1,326

Quote:
Just bought a HiFiMan EF2 only to find out that it is not x64 bit compatible!!!!? So will not run on either win 7 or vista x64! Bugger...it's only good fir the 32bit systems. You can still use the RCA, but not the USB. Anyone else found this!?

Also there is now a EF2a version? Anyone own one? What's the difference? Bet it's dac is 64bit compatible right!? Would be just my luck!

Well now... That is quite the issue.  I do have the EF2A, and it does accept Windows 7 64-bit.  Granted I am forced to dig through a few menus to get it running.  I'm not really sure what the differences are other than this supposed 64-bit compatibility, and different face plate. 

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #1,145 of 1,326
O.k., so the "A" model will work.

Anyone compared the EF2A to the Fiio E7?  I'm torn between those two or, if I decide the DAC isn't necessary (especially at only 16bit), maybe a Grado clone.

Anyone done a simple Rightmark test back into a good desktop soundcard to see what the real world performance of the HiFiman is?  Come on guys, it's easy.  I did it on all my mp3 players, mixers, receivers, and headphone amps back home.  Easy, quick.  Just requires a sound card with line input, a Y-splitter headphone cable with a pair of cheap low-impedence earbuds connected on one end to give it a load, some cables, and you're off to the races!

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #1,146 of 1,326
ok so after a bit of research, the only difference between the EF2 and EF2A is a slight better out put on the EF2A. I have managed to get the EF2 working on Win 7 x64.

After a bit of digging around I found out that both versions of the AMP have the same make/model of DAC...so they interface with the source in pretty much the same way.

The trick is what versions of Win 7 x64 you are running...I tried the amp on a Win 7 basic machine and home premium machine...neither worked. But plugged them into a Win 7 Pro and Win Ultimate machine (thanks to JB HiFi for letting me test this out) and Bingo!!!

Now I'm know expert...and don't pretend to be....but the guy in the shop told me that both Win 7 x64 pro and ultimate have and XP compatibility mode, but that Basic and Home premium versions do not. Apparently this allows most software and some hardware intended for XP to run in legacy mode on a Win 7 x64 platform.

Well this seemed to work for me! Has anyone else discovered this at all?

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #1,147 of 1,326
Hey Reticuli2 you should just go and listen to one. Its under $200 and sounds fantastic... The only thing I would suggest is swapping out the stock tubes it comes with, as they are a bit sharp..emphasis on the highs. I suspect they have used these tubes because, well they are cheap, but it also trys to make the AMP sound more detailed than it really is...

Its a valve AMP, so its pretty soft sounding, big emphasis on the mids and lower end. If you looking for accuracy & faithful reproduction...well you should probably look elsewhere. If you are looking for something musical and warm sounding, then its a great choice.

I run a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s through it (which are by no means monitor earphones ; ) ...really nice smooth sound, big bass...nice mids....but I wouldn't say its by any means appropriate for analytical play - just not that sort of product. You can tweek it with an equlizer, but it still rounds the edges of most recordings.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #1,148 of 1,326
Hi everyone I am strongly considering buying a Hifiman EF2A to use as both amp/dac with the HD 598  out of my laptop. I guess I might sound like a broken record but all the people complaining about the gain on EF2A has me scared. I wanted some input from you guys about this issue and whether its significant.

I am totally new to the forum and I have no experience with amps so I would really appreciate any help.

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #1,149 of 1,326

Quote:
Hi everyone I am strongly considering buying a Hifiman EF2A to use as both amp/dac with the HD 598  out of my laptop. I guess I might sound like a broken record but all the people complaining about the gain on EF2A has me scared. I wanted some input from you guys about this issue and whether its significant.

I am totally new to the forum and I have no experience with amps so I would really appreciate any help.

No need to be scared.  As long as you keep the amp volume over 8 o'clock it should be good... Granted anything after 10' is going to be loud.  Overall I've found the 598 and EF2A to be pretty good. 

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #1,152 of 1,326

Quote:
Looking to pick up an EF2A for my D2000s and I was wondering - is there a consensus on some good replacement tubes for the EF2A? Something not too expensive?

I've been partial to Raytheon 6AK5 and you can find them pretty decently priced on eBay or other places.

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #1,154 of 1,326
Hey, a little help needed please.

I'm new to this all, but am looking for the right DAC/AMP combo to get the best possible sound from my setup.
I'm using a Macbook Pro with Grado SR225i's (and occasionally Audio-Technica ATH M30's).
My music goes across many genres (blues, indie, classical, jazz, alternative, country, rap, etc.. etc..).
Some music files are FLAC, but most are MP3 and M4A of varying qualities.

I'm looking for a desktop DAC/AMP to give me the best sound quality (that 'wow' factor) for under $200.
I like that sound that makes you feel as if the artist is performing right in front of you.

I bought and returned the Fiio e7 after a few days of listening, as I didn't hear any real difference out of the Grado's between the e7 and my Macbook headphone jack.
I've been reading up on these DAC/AMPs, and like the EF2. I also see that the new Fiio e10 is coming out, and have read about about the Nuforce uDAC2.
Will any of these (or other recommendations) make my listening experience (subjective, yes I know) with my setup better?

Thanks!

ps: would a DAC/AMP plugged into the USB of my Mac drain a lot of battery if I play continuously for several hours a day? (one appeal of the EF2 is that it has a power cord)

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #1,155 of 1,326
Not sure if it's wow factor, but I am using exactly the same rig (MbPro, EF2A, 225is) and it's a hell of a lot of fun to listen to. Especially for Jazz, rock, etc. Classical is great too, but I'm not sure the Grado are the best match for that.. I like my AKG 702 for heavy classical listening. 

the EF2A has it's own power supply - no battery, and definitely not bus driven - so no battery related factors. I also use a Headroom Total Bithead, which can be driven from the USB (or has its own batteries as well) - I've not noticed any significant battery drain from that set up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back