REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Nov 25, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #601 of 1,326
Actually, nvm.

I want old vintage 60's 70's over the ear headphones. When I was in elementary school, they had this little tape recorder with these huge headphones with volume control on either side. I remember it sounding awesome when I brought in my own tapes of music..

I can't find them though for a decent price, without a huge shipping charge.

EDIT: Anyone here wanna send me old good sounding vintage headphones? I'll buy it.

Nov 25, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #602 of 1,326
Guys - can we keep this within the general realm of fullsize amps, please ?

mmd, that was a blatant threadjack: I'm sure most Grados would benefit from the EF2 but you just turned left and drove the thread straight down Grado St, pulling into Nostalgia Alley and waiting for someone to do a deal. I'd really like to head back to Amp Blvd if thats OK with everyone else.

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #603 of 1,326
Sorry, I didn't mean to threadjack, so don't go using the word blatent please.

An amp requires headphones to use it, thus I feel it was fine.. Therefor your accusation was unwarranted.. Thank you.

Might I remind you this whole thread has been about tubes and headphone pairing with the EF2 amp..

Oh, and the EF2 isn't a "fullsize amp".
popcorn.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #604 of 1,326
Its in the 'Fullsize Amp' forum, so its a fullsize for mine, but its a grey area : the Lisa is the amp that currently has my attention, but its annoying : finally find the amp that the vast majority agree is the 'best for around 1K USD' and new one comes along. I know we arent talking about the EF2 in that sentence, but I guess I've gone OT now : blatantly.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #605 of 1,326
I guess I'll call it a fullsize for the sake of it requiring a PSU and not batteries..

But I'm merely just trying to find headphones to use with my EF2, I have a specific need. I'm partially def yes, but can still hear some detail, but don't need top of the line, and I like the feel of old over the ear headphones, vs on ear headphones.. (I'm not keen for in ear either).

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #606 of 1,326
I just got some Raytheon 6AK5 tubes for my EF2.

I'm sick though
frown.gif
My nose and ears feel very clogged, so I can't hear a difference in my current state =p

HA, what were the differences you noticed with better tubes? nothing to detailed, just wanna know what I have to look forward to when I feel better =p

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #607 of 1,326
Ok, need advice. I found the headphones I want, they feel great on my head, and sound decent for me. BUT, it's impedance seems a little odd, and I worry the EF2 won't be able to drive it..

Pioneer SE-2P
Specs:
Speaker type / design: Moving Coil, full range
Frequency Response: 20-16,000Hz ± 3dB
Efficiency: 96.0 dB 1mV
Matching Impedance: 4-16Ω
Max power rating: 500mW

They are Pioneer SE-2P.

Can the EF2 handle that impedance? Or is "Matching Impedance" something else?

Nov 26, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #608 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenGecko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got some Raytheon 6AK5 tubes for my EF2.

I'm sick though
frown.gif
My nose and ears feel very clogged, so I can't hear a difference in my current state =p

HA, what were the differences you noticed with better tubes? nothing to detailed, just wanna know what I have to look forward to when I feel better =p

On page 1 of my review I said, "After I changed the stock chinese tubes at 300 hours to the NOS Raytheon 6AK5 tubes that Skylab sold me, the EF2 ceased sounding bright with any headphone once I got about 24 hours on the Raytheon tubes, and improved over an 75-100 hour burn-in on the new tubes. It also sounded more refined, smoother, more musical and more involving."

Nov 28, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #609 of 1,326
just got mine this morning, very nice indeed. Gonna burn it in tonight.
Anyone knows what ouput format/ postprocessing format I should use in foobar, and what buffer length I should use?

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #610 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AKGs have specific power consumption requirements. Especially the 701's. The 702's i had didn't seem to be particularly hungry cans. But the 701 really needs a jump start to get going.

Hi, can you elaborate? I though the k702 were exactly the same as k701.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #611 of 1,326
You would think so but The 701's have been known to need a good amp and the 702 owners have not come forward with the same concerns.. I only auditioned the 701's but owned the 702's and only had the EF1 and EF2 at the time so I can't say what amp would be required for the 70x's. Just that the 702's seemed lifeless with the EF's.

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #614 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Possible but not ideal.

You can drive a 300 ohm sennheiser to blaring volumes no problem with an ipod. It IS very possible. Quality on the other hand im still discovering...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back