REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Dec 3, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #616 of 1,326
Can EF2 drive Hifiman HE5 properly?

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #617 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by hasanyuceer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can EF2 drive Hifiman HE5 properly?

Given that HiFiMan make an amp specifically for the HE5, I'd probably take a look at that thread.

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #620 of 1,326
Yes, I saw the combo but i dont want to change EF2. All I need is a new headphone...

Mostly thinking about RS1 or RS2. Confused when I saw HE5.. Does HE5 worth changing amplifier?

Dec 4, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #621 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by hasanyuceer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I saw the combo but i dont want to change EF2. All I need is a new headphone...

Mostly thinking about RS1 or RS2. Confused when I saw HE5.. Does HE5 worth changing amplifier?

I will try EF2 later today.

At CanJam the HE-5 were still about 5 ohm or so on the impedance, and the EF2 didn't have enough current reserves to drive the HE-5. The final production version HE-5 is much easier to drive, and I can get decent sound (but not always the volume I want) from portable amps. The HE-5 tend to be like HD600 and want a desktop amp more than a portable, but for wanting the higher current capabilities rather than the higher voltage swing that the HD600 want.

I believe the EF2 amp will be fine for now since the impedance is higher than before, but you will likely want to upgrade amps later. I would not spend the money on the RS-1 or RS-2 after hearing the HE-5, because if you upgrade your amp later for the Grados you wont get as good sound quality as you will from the HE-5 with an upgraded amp later. The HE-5 are the first full size dynamic headphone to challenge my HD800 since I got the LA7000, which I still love because of the fantastic soundstage and imaging and synergy with my ZDT for great bass. I think I even like the HE-5 more than my LA7000, which at used prices cost 2x as much! But, those are my top 3 dynamics, and they come in above the RS-1.

Dec 4, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #622 of 1,326
Wait, when I asked about low impedance headphones like 4-16 ohms, Fang told me the EF2 could easily drive that.

Dec 4, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #623 of 1,326
There's more to it than just ohms of resistance. Sensitivity etc. ( I don't know all of the issues) but " Planar " orthodynamics require more power than regular dynamic drivers. ie: I need to turn up the volume approximately 25-50 % when using my Fostex T50RP's

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #626 of 1,326
To go with the ef2 you'd be much better off with top end grados or denons.
But since your in the euro zone you'll have to buy used grados.

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #627 of 1,326
Hi Larry,

Have you tried EF2 with HE5? Can it drive properly or can you get decent/listenable sound?

If yes, I guess I will get HE5...

Also how is HE5 with Woo WA6? Thinking about getting a Pico DAConly/DacMagic and WA6 in ~6 months...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will try EF2 later today.

At CanJam the HE-5 were still about 5 ohm or so on the impedance, and the EF2 didn't have......

@Mr C: Thinking about changing amp in 4-5 months, but EF2 have to handle me till that time. Also HE5 and RS2 are at the same price in here.. This is why I started to think about HE5...

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #629 of 1,326
Miguel, 3+ years ago my favorite phone is Sony MDR828 and I was listening music not sounds... I still cant get the same taste..

Unfortunately, things change...

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #630 of 1,326
I see what you mean about sensitivity. My vintage Pioneer SE-2P's arrived. Though 4-16 ohms, they are TOUGH. My laptop was unable to drive them right, sounded like crap. In the EF2, almost like crap, once the EF2 warmed up, the bass started to "come in", and sound floor started making these old 1966 headphones sound great for their time..

But damn, the EF2 is the only thing that can drive it except my Onkyo 4500 amp (which did them flat out easily)..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back