REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Aug 1, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #136 of 1,326
Not sure if I missed it, but could somebody either PM me a link or post it here of where you are ordering the replacement tubes. I've tried Google and such but only come up with stuff from Singapore it seems like. (PM preferred if it's possible)

Thanks!

Aug 1, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #138 of 1,326
Larry I have sent the unit I had on a round about! Four members here will have it for review/impressions. These are:

- raffy
- dw6928
- immtbiker
- Skylab (maybe, if time allows)

Should be fun to read the impressions of four additional members.

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #139 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After hearing Headphone Addict's EF-2 at a recent meet, I ahd to order one so Fang should send it off soon.

www.thetubestore.com has an equivalent and there are several on eBay. Google 6J1. or 5654

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry I have sent the unit I had on a round about! Four members here will have it for review/impressions. These are:

- raffy
- dw6928
- immtbiker
- Skylab (maybe, if time allows)

Should be fun to read the impressions of four additional members.

That would be cool.

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #141 of 1,326
I'm in the process of researching a DAC <$400 to pair with the EF2.

Not sure if you've heard these but it looks like the V-DAC, Oritek V4, and DAC Magic are excellent choices for full size DAC's in that price range.

Am I wrong to assume these three sound noticeably better than the D10/Pico because they're full-sized?

What would you recommend? Not sure if this is important but I prefer a warm sound.

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #142 of 1,326
You might be better off with a neutral sounding DAC with the EF2, my experience with tube amps you don't want the DAC colouring the sound that much. LOL btw this is my first post, so you can take it with a grain of salt haha.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #143 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the process of researching a DAC <$400 to pair with the EF2.

Not sure if you've heard these but it looks like the V-DAC, Oritek V4, and DAC Magic are excellent choices for full size DAC's in that price range.

Am I wrong to assume these three sound noticeably better than the D10/Pico because they're full-sized?

What would you recommend? Not sure if this is important but I prefer a warm sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveHao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might be better off with a neutral sounding DAC with the EF2, my experience with tube amps you don't want the DAC colouring the sound that much. LOL btw this is my first post, so you can take it with a grain of salt haha.

I think you would be surprised by the D10 (via optical) or Pico DAC (via USB), despite their size. I have compared them to many desktop DACs and I think they hold up quite well. And, I would say their DACs are very neutral without coloring the sound. The D10 via USB is not quite as good as the Pico's USB DAC, but both are still a noticeable upgrade over the EF2 DAC in terms of micro-detail, spaciousness and soundstage - the D10 or Pico DAC feeding the EF2 amp is a very nice combo, with more power for full size phones like HD600/800 than most portable amps can offer with their built-in amps.

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #145 of 1,326
Quote:

Very interested in buying a Pico after everything I've read. Just curious though, paired with the EF2, what differences would I hear with a Pico vs a D10?

Not a big difference if the D10 is used via optical input, while the D10 via USB has slightly less detail and depth than the Pico DAC (DAC only or DAC/amp).

The main difference is the output levels of the DACs. The Pico DAC-only or Pico DAC/amp (used as a pre-amp and volume turned up) will both provide a higher volume level signal into the EF2 than the D10's line out or the EF2 built-in DAC. So you wont need to turn the EF2 volume knob as high to achieve the same volume levels. Max power of the EF2 wont change, it's just that you will reach max volume at a little bit of a lower volume knob setting on the EF2.

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #147 of 1,326
Quote:

Thanks for the responses.. I think I'm going to go w/ the Pico DAC.

Also, just to clarify - when using the EF2's DAC, does it go through the amp or does it go straight to the line out?

It goes to the amp inside the EF2. You can not use the EF2 as a DAC only.

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #148 of 1,326
Gotcha, thanks.

Another issue, the EF2 is producing a loud hiss w/ my powered speakers using the USB DAC. My speakers are connected to the EF2 via XLR -> 3.5mm. I didn't get any hiss w/ the iBasso D2, any idea what the problem is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back