REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
Aug 5, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #151 of 1,326
Question about burning in the DAC/Amp.... will it burn-in if I just leave the power on w/ no music playing? Or does music need to be playing?

Is it bad to leave this thing on 24/7 since I'm trying to burn-in?

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #152 of 1,326
Just arrived today and burn in is progress. Not as powerful (actual volume) as the EF-1. At this time it is connected to my netbook via USB and the computer instantly recognized it with no problems. The headphone plug seems quite sturdy and the step volume is very smooth without any inbalance drop off in low volume as was an issue with the EF-1. I really appreciate the controls all "Up Front".
I would not attempt to evaluate the SQ pre-burn in so we'll have to wait and see, but even without an improvement post burn in, this little buddie is well worth the price.
It came extremely well packaged and quickly via EMS/USPS. I was surprised to find the tubes shipped installed in the unit. I don't know if there would be a downside to shipping with the tubes installed.... Just different...

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #153 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question about burning in the DAC/Amp.... will it burn-in if I just leave the power on w/ no music playing? Or does music need to be playing?

Is it bad to leave this thing on 24/7 since I'm trying to burn-in?

Leaving it on will simply shorten the tube life, but should not harm the amp as long as there is sufficient airflow for the amp to maintain temp. It is best to have a signal running through the amp during burn in, (headphones playing) as the current must travel through the entire circuit for burn in to be effective

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #154 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just arrived today and burn in is progress. Not as powerful (actual volume) as the EF-1. At this time it is connected to my netbook via USB and the computer instantly recognized it with no problems. The headphone plug seems quite sturdy and the step volume is very smooth without any inbalance drop off in low volume as was an issue with the EF-1. I really appreciate the controls all "Up Front".
I would not attempt to evaluate the SQ pre-burn in so we'll have to wait and see, but even without an improvement post burn in, this little buddie is well worth the price.
It came extremely well packaged and quickly via EMS/USPS. I was surprised to find the tubes shipped installed in the unit. I don't know if there would be a downside to shipping with the tubes installed.... Just different...

The Amp without much burn-in sounds nicer than the DAC without burn-in - the DAC itself only needed 24-48 hours to open up in clarity and detail, and I did 250 on the amp with most of the improvement in the first 100-150). With burn-in the amp becomes less bright and the bass fills in nicely, while the DAC burn-in improves clarity and detail of the DAC section. My EF2 had about 24 hours on it when I took it home from CanJam.

Also, the internal DAC output level is lower than some other DACs with a "hot" output like Pico DAC only or Apogee mini-DAC, and is closer to the lower levels of the D10 line-out. So it wont play quite as loud using the internal DAC as it does with the Pico DAC-only or Apogee mini-DAC. But typically that only affects the position on the volume knob needed to achieve the same volume levels.

With most phones the power level is just a little below the EF1, but with those new HiFiMan prototype RE5 orthodynamic phones the EF1 was much better at driving their low 4-8 ohm impedance load. With Grado and Denon the volumes can be quite loud, and still fairly loud even with 300 ohm HD600 and HD800. It beats most portable amps for power, excluding maybe the 3MOVE or SR-71.

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #155 of 1,326
I currently have an asus xonar d2 with hd555s (which i soon hope to get 650s) my main concern is something like this worth it if you already have a decent sound card?

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #158 of 1,326
I don't think the EF92 will work. 6AK5 subs/equivs are 5654, CV4010, EF95. I like the Mullard CV4010's.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #159 of 1,326
Hello, I'm having an issue and need help from more knowledgeable people..

I cannot get the EF2's DAC to work w/ my powered speakers because since it goes through the amp, it's producing a very loud hiss w/ my self-amped speakers.

Will a PVC or passive preamp fix this issue or no? Do I need to get a standalone DAC and PVC together?

I cannot use the volume control on the speaker so I need a solution that will eliminate hiss and give me a volume knob.

Can anyone please help me with this? I'm really desperate because I cannot use my speakers right now since there's so much hiss.

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #160 of 1,326
Quote:

Hello, I'm having an issue and need help from more knowledgeable people..

I cannot get the EF2's DAC to work w/ my powered speakers because since it goes through the amp, it's producing a very loud hiss w/ my self-amped speakers.

Will a PVC or passive preamp fix this issue or no? Do I need to get a standalone DAC and PVC together?

I cannot use the volume control on the speaker so I need a solution that will eliminate hiss and give me a volume knob.

Can anyone please help me with this? I'm really desperate because I cannot use my speakers right now since there's so much hiss.

Maybe you could try a Shure or Westone headphone volume attenuator between the EF2 and the powered speakers.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #161 of 1,326
Thanks for that suggestion.. what do you think about the following idea:

I'm pretty set on getting a Pico DAC.. so I'm thinking, can I use both RCA and Line-Out and have the RCA go to the EF2->Headphones, while the line out goes to the speakers?

Is there a switch in the back that determines whether u want RCA out or Line out?

Or how would it work if they're both plugged in? Would music be playing simultaneously on my speakers and headphones?

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #162 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the EF92 will work. 6AK5 subs/equivs are 5654, CV4010, EF95. I like the Mullard CV4010's.

I asked about the ef92 since the little dot mk2 takes those as well as the ef95s which are compatible with these. It has to be switched internally to work though on the ld mk2. I guess If I get this amp, I could try rolling with my 6ak5 and russian 6zh1p-ev when they arrive.

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #163 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone try any more tubes? I take it ef92s wont work on these?

You can check the DV 332 thread for more options. The smaller tubes in the DV 332 are the same ones in the EF2.

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #164 of 1,326
Quote:

Thanks for that suggestion.. what do you think about the following idea:

I'm pretty set on getting a Pico DAC.. so I'm thinking, can I use both RCA and Line-Out and have the RCA go to the EF2->Headphones, while the line out goes to the speakers?

Is there a switch in the back that determines whether u want RCA out or Line out?

Or how would it work if they're both plugged in? Would music be playing simultaneously on my speakers and headphones?

I answered this in the other thread you posted in. "I feed the RCA into my Amphora and the mini to my EF2 with a mini-RCA cable, and both outputs are active at the same time with no switches, so if the amps are both on then the sound comes out of both of them."

You can feed the RCA into the EF2, and the mini to the powered speakers just fine, but you have to control the speaker volume via the speakers or with a volume attenuator.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #165 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can check the DV 332 thread for more options. The smaller tubes in the DV 332 are the same ones in the EF2.

While that's true, what works in the DV (or LD amps) may not work in the EF2. Might want to ask HeadDirect. Otherwise, I would stick to the 6AK5 and direct equivalents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back