Jul 28, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #121 of 1,326
hello I am new to all this stuff and I am trying to setup a system to buy

so far people have told me to do this

-senns hd600 headphones
-iBasso d10 cobra as the usb amp
- the ef2 as the tube amp

and connect the ibasso to the ef2...

or should i just buy the hybrid?

Is this good for a stationary setup? it will be staying on my desk connected to my computer.
or should I look for a differnt amp/dac?

Also can I hook up external speakers to all this in the future? because it is a lot of money to just spend on a headphone setup...I would feel better if I knew i could setup a stereo system with it..

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #122 of 1,326
it'll work as both a dac and amp.. if you want to use the d10 as a DAC and the ef2 as an amp, that sounds like it'd work great

it's a great budget desktop setup and yes u can hook up active/powered speakers but i'm not so sure about bookshelf speakers, probably not enough power.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #125 of 1,326
I may be getting ahead of myself, but I have another question in regards to my upgrade path after the EF2..

I will be using the DAC as a source maybe 80% of the time, and the Fuze w/ Line Out as a source maybe 20% of the time.

If I wanted to improve my setup in the future... which option would be the most beneficial?

a. add a dedicated DAC and use the EF2 as an amp
b. use the EF2 as a DAC/preamp and add a dedicated amp
c. upgrade the tubes
d. a & c, or a & b

Thank you

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #128 of 1,326
The EF2 can not be used as pre-amp or an stand alone DAC. If you are going to spend $600 for an iBasso D10 plus an EF1 I would suggest you buy an used Oritek DAC V4.0 or higher w/ the built in headphone amp. This combo sells for about $500 and IMO is a better sounding option.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #129 of 1,326
I've got a pair of NOS/NIB SYLVANIA 6AK5 tubes on the way as my tube upgrade. I couldn't find the Raytheons. Will the Sylvanias be OK? Thanks, Chris.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #131 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just also purchased a pair of NOS 6AK5 tubes off ebay for about $14.xx shipped

Should I change them out immediately or do you think I should give the stock tubes a try?

Give the stock tubes a try and burn-it in with the stock ones.

Jul 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #132 of 1,326
Nice review Larry.

I'm looking for a nice desktop amp to use with my IEMs
tongue.gif
Do you get any hum with the ES3X with the EF1/EF2? Which one would be better suited for IEM usage?

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #133 of 1,326
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review Larry.

I'm looking for a nice desktop amp to use with my IEMs
tongue.gif
Do you get any hum with the ES3X with the EF1/EF2? Which one would be better suited for IEM usage?

I was very clear in my review about what I heard - if I didn't mention hum I didn't hear any, and I used IEM and full size phones with it.
tongue.gif
I also said that the EF1 volume control was unsuitable for IEM while the EF2 volume control works well with them.

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #135 of 1,326
Hello EF2 users,

I'm currently using the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and the Sennheiser HD 595 in combination with the Ibasso D2. When I'm using the DAC in combination with the HD 595 I'm not really getting a lot of bass. Will the EF2 give a better representation of the lower frequencies on my HD 595 in comparison to the D2? Proper amplification could solve this problem doesn't it?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back