Review: Audeze LCD-2 (r1 & r2), HiFiMan HE-6, Stax SR-507, Stax OII MKI/BHSE, et al
Apr 11, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #17 of 83
Thanks for this review.  I have been debating whether to get the LCD-2, HE-6, HD800 or T1.  I think after reading this The LCD-2 is going to get the win for me.  It also helps that I'm working on a balanced Beta22.  Thanks again, we do need more reviewers like yourself.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #18 of 83
Quote:
I'm somewhat confused though, they say the LCD-2 is pretty effcient but you state that "it clearly takes high-power amplification to begin to get good sound out of the LCD-2". Can you tell what's the power output of your B22 at 50ohms?

Just because a headphone might be efficient doesn't mean it won't benefit from more power. The LCD-2 is 50 Ohms with a sensitivity of 91 dB/mW - the 50 Ohm rating doesn't really tell the whole story of its power demands, and 91 dB/mW is not very sensitive (well certainly not as sensitive as most low-impedance headphones tend to be). You can see the B22's power output specs here: http://www.amb.org/audio/beta22/

Quote:
Very nice comparison!

Do you see any reason to own the SR-507 if you have the SR-007 mk1? Does the SR-507 do anything better than the SR-007?

I just added a new comparison at the end of the review to cover your question.

Quote:
From what I can gather, it seems from this review that the LCD-2 falls short in comparison with the Stax rig in classical only?

I haven't read the in depth notes yet.

No, not just classical music. That was just the only example I wanted to cite in the review. There's more on the subject in the notes file.

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #20 of 83

Just because a headphone might be efficient doesn't mean it won't benefit from more power.

The HE-6 sounds better with a speaker amp.

+1

HE-6 defense force go! They got pretty torn apart in this review. Although, comparing them vastly underpowered to what is to known as one of the best headphone/amp synergies really grinds my gears.

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #21 of 83
I respect ASR's opinion and I'm not intending to argue the merits of his amp with the HE-6. I've not heard his amp with the HE-6 but I have heard one with HDs and it is a sweet amp.

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #22 of 83
Great review! I bet a lot of time and effort were put into this. Thanks.

I agree with most of the things mentioned here regarding LCD2, HE6, HD800, JH13, O2 but one thing I disagree is that HE6 lacks bass compared to HD800. HE6 produce plenty of bass even with my not so impressive rig. I was quite surprised to read that they lack bass compared to other headphones that were mentioned in the review. In my opinion both headphones hits very low but HE6 has a bit more bass quantity than HD800 (doesn't necessarily mean good). I really want to try SR-507 and compare it to HE6.

Apr 12, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #24 of 83
Excellent review and matches what I've experienced and heard. I also follow the source first, headphones second rule now. What I heard out of the O2 and Blue Hawaii was simply and undoubtedly the best I've heard. There's not even a close second. Hopefully the KGSS would be in a similar playing field as the Blue Hawaii performance.

Apr 12, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #25 of 83
Well I went form a Woo 6SE (via another speaker amp) to a Primare 100w dual mono amp and the difference with the HE6 is like night and day. I also got rid of the LCD-2

Apr 12, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #26 of 83
Steve, very nice review and comparision, interestingly I share your love for the AD2ks, while not perfect they hit enough notes to earn them a "do not sell" (again) in my rig. I also really like the LCD2s and they are my go to one thing that troubles me about them is they shelter bad recordings. There are some modern rock tracks that are utterly unlistenable on my speaker rig due to compression of synamic range that rock on the LCD2s. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth but a true reference headphone would shine a light on a poor recording. That said I love the LCDs for timbre and tonal balance and really like them on speed and detail.

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #27 of 83
Nice review. I agree in most JH13 vs LCD-2 and for this reason more air between instruments layer I clearly prefer LCD-2 and it has  also more real feeling to me. But I respect JH13 has several really strong things for example it is very energy, tones vocals are greatly readable from mids to the highs etc. it is sure different iem and full size headphone.
And very interesting read about HP2. you evidently like their lifelike sound. I am surprised that you sold them.

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #30 of 83
Too bad this will be your last review here.  Nicely done and reasonably objective.  We could use more reviews similar in depth, perception and syle like this.  

I also have a permanent place for the AD2K as it does many things well and sounds "right".  I've been waffling on the Audeze LCD-2, but their need for power has held me back.  This was pretty obvious at our local meet.  They may be more finicky regarding amp than many believe.  The SR-507 interests me and I hope to hear it soon.  Generally agree with most of your opinions on the cans I've heard.

Thanks for taking the time to do a review right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back