Review: Audeze LCD-2 (r1 & r2), HiFiMan HE-6, Stax SR-507, Stax OII MKI/BHSE, et al
Aug 28, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #76 of 83

Quote:
Mine either - wonder if ASR's pair is somehow bad?

Quote:
It's Larry's pair...and Larry knows good sound.

Quote:
Ahhh...that's right. And yes, he sure does.

I think the HE-6 had poor synergy with his gear.  With the wrong amp they can sound slightly thin and bright, and I also didn't like the prototype pair of HE-6 out of his B22 at the 2009 Colorado meet.  With a strong speaker amp the HE-6 really start to shine, but I still find that most headphone amps don't do them justice.  I'd say that they have the same or even higher demands for an amp that the K1000 have.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #77 of 83
My HE-6 has plenty of bass through my ARC speaker amp, 60wpc. Not thin or bright at all. I just changed to SED 6550Cs from Tung Sol 6550 reissues, through the 6, I can hear the differences between these tubes.

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #78 of 83

Another thank-you note, Asr, from a late-comer to this thread. We need more reviews like this one.

Quote:
Further thanks for the review.    My own feeling is that the only reviews that are worth reading are comparisons.  TheHead-fi  review section misses the point IMHO.

Right on target, Edstrelow!

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #79 of 83
^ That is a very good point, that since we all hear different and have different gear the only thing that can possibly be relevant from one experience to another is how individual components sound when compared against each other in the same system.

Dec 11, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #80 of 83
I just updated this review to cover the LCD-2 r2, based on my experience with it over the past couple of months. (The review was originally written for the r1.) There's a new section added right below the first one for the LCD-2.

The corresponding PDF copy has also been updated. The link is the same, just re-download for the new copy.

No new notes were added to the Notes file btw.

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #81 of 83
Thanks for the update, Asr. Indeed I can agree that the differences between the R1 and R2 tend to be overstated in this forum, I A/B-ed them before carefully and I found that unless you concentrated fully the differences were quite subtle and on some tracks, were not apparent at all. 

Anyway, maybe you could clarify which version of R1 you had: the one with older pads or newer R2-like ones. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #83 of 83
Quote:
Anyway, maybe you could clarify which version of R1 you had: the one with older pads or newer R2-like ones. 

Not sure about the earpads but the details of my r1 (including a pic) can be found in the FS ad I listed for them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/549609/fs-audeze-lcd-2

[Mod note: This thread was locked by request.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back