Review: Audeze LCD-2 (r1 & r2), HiFiMan HE-6, Stax SR-507, Stax OII MKI/BHSE, et al
Apr 14, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #47 of 83
Fantastic review. I'm always happy to read comments that give me clear impressions of what is going on with a healthy dose of realistic perspectives, such as the price comparison of the dynamic and electrostatic rigs. I'm sorry to hear that this will be your last review.

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #48 of 83
What a quality review. I'm glad you were able to bring this one out, thanks! My observations for the most part are very in line with what you have said!

However, I do have to say, like others, I disagree with the evaluation of the HE-6 (especially in comparison to the HD800). There was no doubt in my mind that the HE-6 had a smaller soundstage than the HD800 and also some more bass.

Nonetheless, thanks for the in depth review and I hope that you're not serious about this being your last review :)

Apr 17, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #50 of 83
Thanks for all the notes of thanks and compliments so far, but they're not really necessary, and no need for that to continue either. I'll continue to revisit this thread for the next several days to address any questions or points of dissent though.

Quote:
Steve, very nice review and comparision, interestingly I share your love for the AD2ks, while not perfect they hit enough notes to earn them a "do not sell" (again) in my rig.

Agreed about the AD2K, they're definitely a "never sell" for me. Almost can't believe I still have headphones I got more than 4 years ago - funny how they've worked out since I originally bought them on a complete whim.

Quote:
And very interesting read about HP2. you evidently like their lifelike sound. I am surprised that you sold them.

I sold the HP2 for two specific reasons: (1) I just didn't get along with its supra-aural design, as it fit too loosely, and (2) I prefer to not own discontinued headphones if I can help it. Though the HP2 had definite strengths, I saw no real reason to keep it when the LCD-2 filled in for it almost as well for the music I used it on, at least for my dynamic system.

Quote:
Would it be worth it to get a BHSE just for the sr-507?

A BHSE for the SR-507 would be overkill IMO. I can't speak for the SR-507's electrical requirements but would guess that it wouldn't need a very high-power amp. The OII on the other hand is a different beast.

Quote:
x2. I was really surprised to read what Asr found here....the HE-6 had more bass (esp the lower octaves) than the HD800...it was easily noticeable. It was deep, hard-hitting, resonant and huge. Also, the HD800 had a significantly larger and deeper soundstage than the HE-6 IME.

Other than that...great review, really enjoyed reading it.

I'd like to remind folks that I had only about 2 weeks of listening on the HE-6, which wasn't enough time to get really familiar with it. Ideally I would've liked at least a month if not longer to really acclimate to it and better mentally process what I was hearing, for the purpose of being able to better specify the details of how the HE-6 compared to the other headphones. I do know, however, that no further amount of listening would've made me like the HE-6.

On a note related to the HE-6, I forgot to previously note that the B22 was configured with a gain of 8x. Also I'd like to point out that the B22 is also a speaker amp and can drive the K1000, so I don't see a reason why it wouldn't also drive the HE-6 at least relatively well. I'm sure the HE-6 benefits from even more power as others have reported, but I don't think the B22 would be insufficient for it either.

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #51 of 83

Quote:
Thanks for all the notes of thanks and compliments so far, but they're not really necessary, and no need for that to continue either. I'll continue to revisit this thread for the next several days to address any questions or points of dissent though.

Agreed about the AD2K, they're definitely a "never sell" for me. Almost can't believe I still have headphones I got more than 4 years ago - funny how they've worked out since I originally bought them on a complete whim.

I sold the HP2 for two specific reasons: (1) I just didn't get along with its supra-aural design, as it fit too loosely, and (2) I prefer to not own discontinued headphones if I can help it. Though the HP2 had definite strengths, I saw no real reason to keep it when the LCD-2 filled in for it almost as well for the music I used it on, at least for my dynamic system.

A BHSE for the SR-507 would be overkill IMO. I can't speak for the SR-507's electrical requirements but would guess that it wouldn't need a very high-power amp. The OII on the other hand is a different beast.

I'd like to remind folks that I had only about 2 weeks of listening on the HE-6, which wasn't enough time to get really familiar with it. Ideally I would've liked at least a month if not longer to really acclimate to it and better mentally process what I was hearing, for the purpose of being able to better specify the details of how the HE-6 compared to the other headphones. I do know, however, that no further amount of listening would've made me like the HE-6.

On a note related to the HE-6, I forgot to previously note that the B22 was configured with a gain of 8x. Also I'd like to point out that the B22 is also a speaker amp and can drive the K1000, so I don't see a reason why it wouldn't also drive the HE-6 at least relatively well. I'm sure the HE-6 benefits from even more power as others have reported, but I don't think the B22 would be insufficient for it either.

So why you giving up reviewing stuff?

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #52 of 83
Thanks ASR for the nice review!

Having heard the LCD-2 with both the TTVJ Apex Peak + volcano and my own Antique Soundlabs Twinhead mark 1 amplifiers at the last meet we had in Montreal (at the SSI), I can say you are right about the LCD-2 being somewhat dark and/or closed when paired with either the Apex or the other lower end amplifiers we had on hand. However, whenever we put it on the Twinhead it sounded far clearer with a more expansive soundstage. The twinhead has a very clear sound, especially in the midrange, and that complemented the LCD-2s perfectly. We also had some Hd800s on hand and the Twinhead's clarity and openness didn't work so good with it: everything was put brutally in your face and most acoustic instruments sounded quite thin. However, voices were gorgeous (we had an opera amateur swear this setup was better than the VTL / Wilson setup next door) and details were just popping out of everywhere. Also, the Twinhead's power was able to make the LCD-2's bass as tight as can be, unlike on the Apex where things were a bit messier. The LCD-2s also had world class dynamics on the twinhead.

Weird thing, when we compared the two amps with Grado Hp-2s, it was the total opposite: everything was much more controlled on the Apex, and things were dark, muddy and flat on the twinhead. My AD2000s also don't match very well with the Twinhead. It seems that amp was designed for lower sensitivity or higher impedance headphones.

What I'm saying here is that synergy is the key, and if by any chance you can hear a pair of LCD-2s driven by a 2a3 amp (jp11801 has just made a review about the EC Balancing Act paired with LCD-2s) go for it. You could very well be impressed.

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #53 of 83
Just curious, what tube(s) were you running on the Peak/Volcano with the LCD-2s? I didn't find that combo dark at all, although I felt the LCD-2s sounded more open and relaxed on more powerful balanced setups. The HP2s (I think Asr's old pair ended up in my hands) do indeed sound great on the Peak/Volcano though - probably why I sold off the LCD-2s in favor of the HP2s - although the comfort/weight of the LCD-2s were another factor. 

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #54 of 83
asr,

What a great review man!  I don't have anything to add on headphones but I second your findings on the GSX (same as my Headamp Gilmore Balanced Reference) amplifier.  It such a transparent amplifier!

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #56 of 83
purrin, the tube was a shuguang black bottle cv-181z (6sn7 equivalent) which had been supplied by todd. Also, I found the LCD-2 to be quite comfortable, unlike the hp-2 which were BY far the most uncomfortable headphones I've worn, ever. No clamp at all = I couldn't move at all so they didn't fall off.

Apr 24, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #57 of 83
I listened to the HE-6 on a B22 today and I somewhat agree what ASR meant when he said there is no bass on the HE-6.  On every other amp I have plugged my HE-6 to, there is plenty of bass, but on the B22 there was close to none.  Not sure why is this, maybe it is not a good pairing abet the tons of power the B22 has?

Apr 24, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #58 of 83

Quote:
I listened to the HE-6 on a B22 today and I somewhat agree what ASR meant when he said there is no bass on the HE-6.  On every other amp I have plugged my HE-6 to, there is plenty of bass, but on the B22 there was close to none.  Not sure why is this, maybe it is not a good pairing abet the tons of power the B22 has?

That's really strange. I'm wondering what Ti's thoughts on it are.

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #59 of 83
Thanks for a great review one of the best i've seen, the notes are particularly useful
Having just acquired the Audeze LCD-2 to compare with my Stax 007 your thoughts compare very closely to mine.  I find the bass on the Audeze particularly articulate and tunefull 

Audeze have done a really great job with their headphone,especially at the price, but not quite on the level of the Stax but its damn close!  If I didnt have the Stax I would be very happy to live with the Audeze.  The Audeze will be really useful to get almost electrostatic quality when its not convenient to use the Stax

I cant wait to hear the new Stax SR-009

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #60 of 83

Quote:
That's really strange. I'm wondering what Ti's thoughts on it are.

I also listened to a pair of he-6 on a beta at a meet. I thought they were bass lite and sounded a little thin. I think it's a power issue. The owner said he uses a speaker amp at home with his he-6. So I guess he also doesn't think the beta is a good match. These things are very picky about amp matching. I know many have thought on paper their amp should be able to drive the he-6, but it just wasn''t the case. This makes them a very strange headphone indeed. I think they actually need more power than the k1000. But once you have the right amp on them, they can produce magic. Great review though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back