Resistance of cables; pics, comments, and links
Aug 28, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #316 of 407
Great review man! This is so helpful for us mortals with no knowledge of cables and stuff, great work!
Im gonna be waiting for a discount from effect audio to purchase mine, but i got one last question, ill be using a sony a55 with fearless audio s8f, would that be a dark or bright combo in your opinion?
i don't own sony a55 nor fearless audio s8f, but according to this great review of fearless s8f from @Animagus , guess it's in the neutral or bright side (v-shaped). the stock cable doesn't look bad, but 234 or 175 (up-occ coper and silver hybrid cables), or 230 or 171 (up-occ copper) are good replacement choices.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #317 of 407
Just cancelled Amazon order of the DD after reading this thread. Thank you!

But I need a 4.4 adapter to use with Solaris and DX228ex. Looks like some of the others on here are much lower resistance, will check them out. And I'm still interested in the Dunu Noble cable, which would solve this problem and seems to have a decent connector, but it's hard to find them (especially used).

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #318 of 407
Just cancelled Amazon order of the DD after reading this thread. Thank you!

But I need a 4.4 adapter to use with Solaris and DX228ex. Looks like some of the others on here are much lower resistance, will check them out. And I'm still interested in the Dunu Noble cable, which would solve this problem and seems to have a decent connector, but it's hard to find them (especially used).
you are welcome.
remember that you shouldn't use a balanced output (4.4mm) together with a 4.4-male-to-3.5-female adapter and a single-ended cable. it could be dangerous for your player besides of staying with single-ended signals.
if your plan is using 4.4-female-to-2.5-male adapter, to use a 2.5mm balanced output with your 4.4mm cable, or a 4.4-female-to-3.5-male adapter to use a single-ended output with your 4.4mm cable, i'd recommend any of the eac adapters in my list, because of the quality of the plugs (their 4.4mm female plug is the best by far in my inventory) and wires.

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #319 of 407
Hello there! I'm looking for an adapter for my 177 cable. I have some etymotics now but want to use my cable instead of theirs however the existing mmcx plug doesn't fit super well. I think I need 2 right angle MMCX adapters for my cable. I basically want my cable to have similar connectors as here. Any recommendations?

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #320 of 407
Hello there! I'm looking for an adapter for my 177 cable. I have some etymotics now but want to use my cable instead of theirs however the existing mmcx plug doesn't fit super well. I think I need 2 right angle MMCX adapters for my cable. I basically want my cable to have similar connectors as here. Any recommendations?
in order to use your actual quality cable with your etys, a quality adapter is the best solution, without a doubt. the adapter will also be useful to use other cables.
this one, for instance (Haldane shop at aliexpress; maybe you can get better price at taobao, but agent's cut and shipping costs might don't compensate):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001507370795.html
angled adapters, needed for etys
Hfcda4cbd015341128cdbd786ecbb78bd1.jpg

or this one, but the other is shorter and has got proved quality:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000806535130.html
H293a3f77baf5406e80c6297dcd56dc5ee.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #321 of 407
in order to use your actual quality cable with your etys, a quality adapter is the best solution, without a doubt. the adapter will also be useful to use other cables.
this one, for instance (Haldane shop at aliexpress; maybe you can get better price at taobao, but agent's cut and shipping costs might don't compensate):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001507370795.html
angled adapters, needed for etys
Hfcda4cbd015341128cdbd786ecbb78bd1.jpg

The first one looks perfect if a bit pricey. Do you maybe have a taobao link?

Dec 5, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #322 of 407
Keep in mind that classic mmcx plugs don't have the plastic ring with the little extruded part to fit in the Etymotic SR and XR series and stop rotation. As a result, I've found that they're more likely to come out when you didn't want them to. The other issue IMO is that I've always inserted and pulled my Etys while turning them to help with the seal and just overall comfort. With non Ety mmcx plugs, the only thing that will turn in the plug itself, not the IEM. it's probably just me, but I find that really inconvenient.

Dec 5, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #323 of 407
The first one looks perfect if a bit pricey. Do you maybe have a taobao link?
i made a quick search at taobao because most adapters found at aliexpress can be found there, but no success this time.
there are many adapters for JH, HD, A2DC, ATH.. but these Etys proprietary mmcx adapters are rare.
so i'd get that haldane adapter. i own several adapters of that exact kind, and love them: the "egger" thick and hard resin is much more resistant than other plastics, conductor material is gold plated beryllium copper, soldered with mundorf supreme alloy (Sn 88.6%, Cu 1.8%, Ag 9.5%, Au 0.1%), supposedly; the fit uses to be tighter than with other plugs (good for secure fit, not so good if you plan to un/plug it repeatedly).

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #326 of 407
Any recommended 4.4 male to 2.5 female adapter?
my take:
- jack adapters (measurements, pics, and links)
Are connections in Blon BL-01 same as in 03 ? Just ordered 01's and from what I read cable swap is a must but I'm IEM newbie.
Is NICEHCK considered good cable provider? They have THIS cable that I'm thinking to get with Blons
that cable looks good to me for your BLONs, although i haven't tried it. NICEHCK is a good cable provider in my opinion.
check my lists (from the 1st post of this thread), and you'll probably get a better idea of what you can expect.
if i recall it right, BLON BL-03 uses a kind of QDC plug, but with squared rect angles. so some people sanded the sharp angles to use standard QDC terminated cables

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #327 of 407
my take:
- jack adapters (measurements, pics, and links)

that cable looks good to me for your BLONs, although i haven't tried it. NICEHCK is a good cable provider in my opinion.
check my lists (from the 1st post of this thread), and you'll probably get a better idea of what you can expect.
if i recall it right, BLON BL-03 uses a kind of QDC plug, but with squared rect angles. so some people sanded the sharp angles to use standard QDC terminated cables

Yeah NX7 i think it's called. Is there higher risk of bending pins when buying just 2 pin cable for those ? Because I feel like buying just 2 pin would be more universal purchase for other IEM's . That cable just went from $15 to $35 btw for some reason hah. Should've bought it

Dec 12, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #328 of 407
Yeah NX7 i think it's called. Is there higher risk of bending pins when buying just 2 pin cable for those ? Because I feel like buying just 2 pin would be more universal purchase for other IEM's . That cable just went from $15 to $35 btw for some reason hah. Should've bought it
yeah, NX7 termination, thanks. the problem with protruding 2pins termination and BLON NX7 or QDC sockets (protruding female) is that connection wouldn't be as secured (could get un-plugged easier); it shouldn't be a big issue at home, though, and 2pins version of that cable is not much protruding.
you can wait for next sale of the cable (soon), or check the actual price of the same cable in other shops at aliexpress

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #329 of 407
Keep in mind that classic mmcx plugs don't have the plastic ring with the little extruded part to fit in the Etymotic SR and XR series and stop rotation. As a result, I've found that they're more likely to come out when you didn't want them to. The other issue IMO is that I've always inserted and pulled my Etys while turning them to help with the seal and just overall comfort. With non Ety mmcx plugs, the only thing that will turn in the plug itself, not the IEM. it's probably just me, but I find that really inconvenient.
So I finally got the Haldane adapters today that were recommended to me and you might excited to learn that these adapters actually do have the little plastic piece that extends out and locks into the etymotics pretty well. I found no change in how I adjust the IEMs while trying to get a comfortable fit at all. Really the only hang up on them should be the price, they should not be this expensive for what they are to be honest but they're the only good option around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back