Resistance of cables; pics, comments, and links
Aug 23, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #91 of 407
if you want a 4 cores cable, you have to decide which material is used for positive signals and which for negative/ground.
Very interesting, always wanted to know about this :)
So if I understand well in a mixed 4 core configuration :
  1. if I solder silver on the positive and copper on negative = do I will benefit from the silver sound characteristic ?
  2. if I solder copper on the positive and silver on negative = do I will benefit from the copper sound characteristic ?
I remember bought in the past (or dismantled) some mixed cables on which most of the time even 8 cores were not mixed properly (silver only for the ground, for exemple). Do you have good brands to recommend to avoid that maybe?
Many thanks in advance,
Cheers'

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #92 of 407
Very interesting, always wanted to know about this :)
So if I understand well in a mixed 4 core configuration :
  1. if I solder silver on the positive and copper on negative = do I will benefit from the silver sound characteristic ?
  2. if I solder copper on the positive and silver on negative = do I will benefit from the copper sound characteristic ?
I remember bought in the past (or dismantled) some mixed cables on which most of the time even 8 cores were not mixed properly (silver only for the ground, for exemple). Do you have good brands to recommend to avoid that maybe?
Many thanks in advance,
Cheers'
If the cable is balanced and used with balanced signals (positive and negative), I guess it doesn't mind, you'll get same mix of attributes.
If the signal is single-ended, I guess that the material which carries the positive signal will be the main one, because the other wire only carries ground. However, the material used at ground also matters. A friend tried silver wire in 4 cores, and then, silver for positive and thicker copper litz for ground, and he got longer bass notes with the latter cable.

I've tried only a few hybrid cables because each one I tried, 4 or 8 cores, was using different wire for each signal. None of them used mixed cores for every signal, I don't know the reason, I thought it should be true mix for every signal in single-ended 8 cores cables, and this is what I asked for when ordering my hybrid custom cables (175), and it's also the reason I like neotech hybrid wire, where spc and copper strands are mixed into each core.
Can't help, because I've not found or tested any true mixed hybrid 8 cores cable yet, other than 175 and cables using the wire of 169.

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #93 of 407
A friend tried silver wire in 4 cores, and then, silver for positive and thicker copper litz for ground, and he got longer bass notes with the latter cable.
Many thanks for your detailed answer, appreciated. Now I understand better :)
Just to be sure, was your friend experimentating on single-ended, or balanced ?
Cheers'

Aug 23, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #94 of 407
Many thanks for your detailed answer, appreciated. Now I understand better :)
Just to be sure, was your friend experimentating on single-ended, or balanced ?
Cheers'
He was using single-ended. And I trust his ears and deep impressions 100%. That's why I think now that the ground wire also matters, contrarily to my first guesses.

Sep 7, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #98 of 407
Hello OP, can you measure Massdrop's 2.5mm to 4pin XLR adapter? Many thanks
I don't own that adapter (massdrop/venture). I got these instead:

EST Japan socket + Neutrik XLR4 (longer than massdrop/venture)
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=571836630995
O1CN011D8oaTZIEWCV5Fi_!!3831900172.jpg

and this (Music Heaven, shorter than both):
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=531398857717
O1CN012eSqXg1dmMpEyaG5Y_!!479073778.jpg

they measured (L+, R+, L-, R-, in mOhms):

Neutrik + EST: 14, 13, 14, 13
Music Heaven: 13, 12, 12, 10 (slightly better)

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #100 of 407
Fantastic resource, thanks. Does anyone know of the lowest resistance, black, 2-pin cable with memory wire under $50?
thanks.
from my list, probably these (check for links in my lists):
053, spc & black sleeve version https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32913860097.html
066. jcally 5n tpc 8c (black,cheap furt,MV)...................249/155/155..130/145/146..126/138/142..126/140/142..[29.2]
both are tin/alloy plated copper.
no memory wire, but molded ear guides

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #102 of 407
thanks.
from my list, probably these (check for links in my lists):
053, spc & black sleeve version https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32913860097.html
066. jcally 5n tpc 8c (black,cheap furt,MV)...................249/155/155..130/145/146..126/138/142..126/140/142..[29.2]
both are tin/alloy plated copper.
no memory wire, but molded ear guides

Thanks for the quick response. I forgot to say, I need an unbalanced cable, and a pin diameter of 0.78mm. I think the ones you listed are 0.75mm as they're made for the KZ ZSN?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #103 of 407
Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #104 of 407
Thanks for the quick response. I forgot to say, I need an unbalanced cable, and a pin diameter of 0.78mm. I think the ones you listed are 0.75mm as they're made for the KZ ZSN?
I didn't have any issues with 0.75mm-0.78mm cables and IEMs. The only problem were FLC8s and their ~0.70mm sockets.
The important thing is if the type of 2pin plugs: flush or near flush, protruding, or encapsulated (ZSN type). Flush plugs work well with flush sockets, but also with ZSN type protruded sockets. Protruding plugs work well with recessed or flush sockets. Encapsulated (ZSN/QDC) plugs are only for protruding sockets (and you have to be careful, because the shape of the capsule, usually rounded, must be compatible withe the shape of the protruding sockets; for example, some TFZ IEMs use polygonal-rect protruding sockets which you'd have to sand off a bit to fit most ZSN/QDC rounded plugs).

@hakuzen I am looking for a sub 50$ (can add a bit more if absolutely needed) mmcx to 2.5mm balanced cable for my Sony XBA N3AP. Prefereably light weight. Can you suggest me one? I went through your posts but seriously confused. Is getting the cheaper one a good option?
Should I get no. 1, 2 or 3? TIA.
1. 6N OCC + OCC Silver plating 26AWG Special Offer from Electro Acousti
2. GUCraftsman 5n OFC silver se535 se846
3. NICEHCK High-end 8 Core Single Crystal Copper Silver Plated Cable
I've only tried number 3, and it is a good all-rounder.
But I tried this cable yesterday: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33004747860.html, and despite of quite higher resistance, I've been impressed with the low background noise and big stage (specially noticed in dense passages) for the price, and with the extreme softness and suppleness (although the sleeve is delicate, weak; you have to take care of this).
If your cable number 1 uses this wire, plus similar silver plated wire, it could be a great value. Plugs are very good. But can't confirm it till I try that exact cable.

Anyway, if you spend only a little more, you can get the chance to try best neotech 7N UP-OCC wires, which suppose a jump respect any other wires.
4 cores version of cables 170 (copper), 173 (silver99%gold1%), 175 (170-173 mix), 177 (copper+spc mixed into each core), or 172 (copper no-litz).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back