Recommend me some good $800+/- complete rigs for home use
Feb 18, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #32 of 105
I bought some mint condition HD650s on Amazon for $310 including shipping.  Pair this with an iBasso D12, D6 or a CEntrance DACPort (better sound, fewer features).

Aternatively, go the T50rp route, with modifications it's quite remarkable.  $75, plus $25 in parts and 1-3 hours (or many depending on how crazy you go), you have something quite special (I find I grab these over my 650s 5:1), then you have $500 for a DAC/Amp.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 18, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #33 of 105

Quote:
One of the best, most versatile headphone / amp combos I've heard was the Beyer DT880/600 and a Schiit Valhalla.  The Valhalla may be a bit pricey for what you're looking at ($350), but the build is solid and it really makes the 600-ohm Beyers sing.  Bass on this setup is pretty deep (no problems reaching down to 30 Hz, possibly even farther) and taut.

The problem with this suggestion is that it unfortunately doesn't leave much if any money left for a DAC -- your best bet would probably be to try to pick up a NuForce uDAC-2 for around $100, making the total system cost come in at about $700.  That's not too far beyond your budget, so looking around in the used market would definitely make this a feasible option.

If you are gonna spend that much it would make more sense to spend like an extra $50 and get a HRT Music Streamer II as a dac.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #35 of 105
Scottiebabie: I enjoy listening to music in my car on the crappy built-on system, but different music. I believe the type of music and what one gets out of a system are not given enough attention. Thus we have varying ideas what the differences between different amps etc. amount to. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #36 of 105

Quote:
Is the D12 powerful enough to drive HD650's?

It surprised me but yes, and even the T50, which is a lot less efficient.  

But I don't crank it to club volumes, nor do I turn up the bass, so it may not be for everyone.  But the D12 goes louder than I would ever listen to with the cans without clipping.  

The D6 or DACPort would definitely be the better picks for someone who likes it loud(er).  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #37 of 105

That's very nice to know.

I'm fairly confident I will be the future owner of HD 650's, but I have still not settled on an Amp or DAC yet..

Are there any portable AMP/DAC combos that do the HD 650's justice around my pricerange? 300-350 bucks?

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #38 of 105
For $399, the DACPort rocks.  It has two advantages over the iBasso's; it is class A output, so the power feels really easy, and it has 18V of swing, so it can easily drive the voltage swing needed for higher impedance cans.  I like the sound more than the iBasso gear...

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #39 of 105
Another option is the new AKG Q701 which is selling on Amazon for $349 and the Schitt Vahalla tube amp, sold online by Schiit Audio for $349. I own both and they sound great togeather. The Q701 has a better bottom end than the 701, as well as a fuller midrange. Treble is slightly smoother on the Q. Great combo for the money, and approaches the threshold of much higher end and vastly more expensive rigs.

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #41 of 105

I'd really prefer not to go too far out of my budget, so I'm not going with the HRT solution.

On eBay there's an offer with an HD650 and a E9 for $500, and the seller also sells the E7 for around $100 - would this be a good combo?

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #42 of 105
Nothing but good things heard about the HD650 with the E9. As far as the E7 goes, that's MSRP for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back