Recommend me some good $800+/- complete rigs for home use
Feb 24, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #79 of 105

Quote:
I would skip the Yulong D100 and go with the Zero DAC/amp as they both use op-amps and thus will sound practically identical if you match op-amps. The Zero can be had for around $100 stock, $120+ with upgraded op-amps and THIS is in my opinion the best DAC to get until you can afford to loose those op-amps and buy something other than Chinese rubbish. 

I have got to hear with my own ears that the Zero DAC with an opamp upgrade sounds as good as the Yulong D100. Did he just say the D100 is "Chinese rubbish"? Oh my. The D100 has an excellent amp built in. Does the Zero DAC drive just as well?

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #80 of 105
Quote:
I have got to hear with my own ears that the Zero DAC with an opamp upgrade sounds as good as the Yulong D100. Did he just say the D100 is "Chinese rubbish"? Oh my. The D100 has an excellent amp built in. Does the Zero DAC drive just as well?

Haha I did say Chinese rubbish, you know what I mean; perhaps I'm gloating with my made in USA DAC, made in Germany headphones. That said my Zero with 1000+ hours is still working flawlessly.

And yes the Zero drives just as well, as you pointed out if you match op-amps you practically have the same amp/DAC... yes there are improvements found with high end models but most of this new hardware coming form China; Zero, Yulongs, Matrix M-Stage and so on is the same thing.

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #81 of 105
I wish I had done this when I first started. I had only $200 or so and didn't really expect to buy any more than a headphone.

E7+E9 with your choice of DT880/HD650/K701. You'd still have money for a portable rig leftover if you buy used.

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #86 of 105
Get the best dac/amp for the money like the NFB-12 or NFB-11 and a nice set of headphones.  That will get you started on your journey pretty nicely.

I say go for the NFB-12 / NFB-11 or any audio GD stuff because they use a better dac than most of the competition and they are powerful enough to power the vast majority of headphones.  You'll thank me if you buy one of those instead of going with the E7/E9 (lower quality dac, not as powerful).

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #87 of 105
I bought my HD580 for $110. I've seen them go for even less or slightly more depending on the public awareness. 
bigsmile_face.gif
 Just keep your eye out for them and try Craigslist as well. Look for them in places your fellow Head-Fi'ers aren't looking. That's where I got them. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #88 of 105
I think it will probably be either the Zero DAC or an Audio-GD route I will go.

Headphones I have still not decided on.

Negakinu: I really don't think Craigslist is an alternative to me as I live in Europe 
wink.gif
 But thanks for the tip anyway 
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #89 of 105

Excuses for the double post!

I've started looking a bit at the Denon D2000. I've read some reviews, and so far it looks pretty good. The good thing with these puppies are, these are the only ones I can actually hear in real life, as a near-by store sells them. I'm not sure if I have the time tomorrow, but if I do, I might have to go audition them!

Anyone have any good amp/dac suggestions for the Denon?

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #90 of 105
Quote:
I've started looking a bit at the Denon D2000. I've read some reviews, and so far it looks pretty good. The good thing with these puppies are, these are the only ones I can actually hear in real life, as a near-by store sells them. I'm not sure if I have the time tomorrow, but if I do, I might have to go audition them!

Anyone have any good amp/dac suggestions for the Denon?

Unless you're looking for a bass monster skip the D2000. I owned the D2000 for some time however upon receiving a JVC RX700 I realised how colored (sloppy bass, runs into mids) the sound was I sold them. I like to think of the RX700 as a well behaved D2000, very similar sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back