RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Apr 14, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #3,436 of 3,674
I look forward to the day you call the N8ii bright and Head-Fi crashes from the fallout! 😅
The N8ii is on the bright side. I have to put it on tube mode to cut the glare which is does nicely. Unfortunately, the tube timbre won't pass through the line out, so when I pair it with an external solid state amp, it's slightly too bright. As much as I like the form factor of the N8ii, I think I would have preferred they make it bigger and provide a complete set of features including a full tube implementation instead of the partial one they opted to pursue.

Apr 14, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #3,437 of 3,674
When people tell me I need Orphy to hear [insert whatever here] better, I treat that statement the same way I do when people tell me I can use Bluetooth (of any description) and have a comparable listening experience :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Both statements are technically accurate, though the former costs you $7500 for the privilege while the latter** is free to try for yourself :smirk:
**BT quality can only be guaranteed with LDAC 'highest quality' setting on both source and receiver.

Apr 14, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #3,438 of 3,674
The N8ii is on the bright side. I have to put it on tube mode to cut the glare which is does nicely. Unfortunately, the tube timbre won't pass through the line out, so when I pair it with an external solid state amp, it's slightly too bright. As much as I like the form factor of the N8ii, I think I would have preferred they make it bigger and provide a complete set of features including a full tube implementation instead of the partial one they opted to pursue.
As far as I know there is no such thing as "full tube" implementation unless you go the WA8 route, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

Apr 14, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #3,439 of 3,674
You definitely lose the music discovery features of Tidal if you rip the music to your own playlists and forgo streaming. But, given the problems I have been having with downloaded Tidal music lately, I am thinking about moving in that direction. Maybe I will rip my playlists to SD Card and just stream the Mixes and Track Radio.

How is the quality?
Quality is the same. The music discovery features of Tidal are generally speaking awful IMO, at least compared to Spotify. I still use Tidal on my PC and phone, I only download stuff for my DAP.

Apr 14, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #3,440 of 3,674
When people tell me I need Orphy to hear [insert whatever here] better, I treat that statement the same way I do when people tell me I can use Bluetooth (of any description) and have a comparable listening experience :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Has somebody actually said to you that you need an Orphy? Sheesh 😬

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #3,441 of 3,674
Has somebody actually said to you that you need an Orphy? Sheesh 😬
My post was more a jab at LDAC but outside of me joking with @gLer, I have seen plenty of posts where people have said they have some issue with an IEM and the reply that came back was that Orphy sorted that issue, or they were asked: "have you heard it with Orphy?". While maybe not specifically saying you "need" it, I'm not sure what else you would draw from that. Be it cables, burn-in, the wrong source or whatever, there is usually a list of things that come back when someone says they have an issue.

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #3,442 of 3,674
Quality is the same. The music discovery features of Tidal are generally speaking awful IMO, at least compared to Spotify. I still use Tidal on my PC and phone, I only download stuff for my DAP.
Oh, I agree about Spotify. I maintain a Spotify family account for my family and to preserve music discovery. They promised Spotify Hifi last February and they failed to deliver it. Not happy about that. Whenever I listen to Spotify, I think the quality sounds worse than Tidal, but that may just be my mind telling me it's worse when it technically isn't.

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #3,443 of 3,674
As far as I know there is no such thing as "full tube" implementation unless you go the WA8 route, which is a whole different kettle of fish.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I don't mean a WA8 implementation. That' won't be possible. I mean a full Nutube implementation which would entail being fully balanced and passing through tube timbre to line out. My understanding is that the form factor would not allow them to put in the extra tubes. Also, given the heat problem, I doubt it could be handled anyway. Too many engineering problems to overcome to complete the nutube implementation.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #3,444 of 3,674
Oh, I agree about Spotify. I maintain a Spotify family account for my family and to preserve music discovery. They promised Spotify Hifi last February and they failed to deliver it. Not happy about that. Whenever I listen to Spotify, I think the quality sounds worse than Tidal, but that may just be my mind telling me it's worse when it technically isn't.
Yeah I'd say the moment Spotify go HiFi it's going to be a bloodbath

Apr 15, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #3,448 of 3,674
It’s awesome. Enjoy!

Apr 15, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #3,450 of 3,674
Finding the Kr5 warm is an assertion of dominance ‘round here
Old comment I know, but since I've just spent some time with...

PSX_20220415_152922.jpg

...I'm going to throw my hat in with @discord. Even compared to Z1R, Kr5 is leaning warm for me. Had to switch from gold to silver module because gold was all bass. Heck gold makes EVO blush.

Could also be source synergy (RS6 and WM1Z) but still... This is one bassy boy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back