RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Jul 20, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #2,656 of 3,674
I suspect most (not all) of the guys buying multi kilobuck cables are buying them for 1. looks/bling 2. ergonomics 3. prestige 4. brand loyalty............5. sound quality. In that order.
It would literally be the reverse order for me. I don’t know if I’ve got unusual hearing or something but good cables make a huge difference to the sound of an IEM to me and the right pairing synergy can produce incredible results.

I know many won’t agree but, for me, the cable is almost as important as the IEM itself. That 5 -10% improvement (the arbitrary figure often quoted to illustrate the importance - or lack thereof that good cables might offer - note that I say good not expensive, as they are not necessarily the same thing) may seem like a small percentage on paper but can make a lot of difference in practice.

Take, for example, the EE Hero, an IEM that I really like for a lot of reasons but can, at times, get shouty and sibilant. When paired with the new Penon Storm cable, the Hero retains nearly all of its great qualities, expands the stage and settles down the shoutiness and sibilance without losing any of the satisfying detail or low end. That could be the difference, for some, between an unlistenable or listenable IEM. For me it’s the difference between a really good IEM with flaws and a great IEM that shares regular rotation with my Trailli, Cerberus, Odin and others.

And all products in this industry are ‘tuned’ in some way, using different drivers, shells, tubes, crossovers, vents and conductivity of various metals, amongst many other factors. Just because a metal is more conductive, it doesn’t mean it produces a more pleasing sound, or the opposite.

Working with different materials and alloys offers more variation and fine tuning options for consumers, and companies like Effect Audio, PW Audio and Eletech are at the forefront of R&D in this area. R&D costs money and the numbers these TOTL cables are sold in are very small, so they need to be priced high in order to cover that and the materials etc. It’s up to you as a consumer to decide the value of that change in sound vs cost of entry. No one is forcing anyone to buy cables here. If a person doesn’t see the value in them, then I feel happy for them because they’ve just saved a lot of money. Unfortunately for my bank account, I seem to be afflicted by hearing that can tell (and appreciate) the difference.

And it doesn’t hurt that @EffectAudio, PW Audio and @Eric Chong, amongst others, makes truly stunning-to-look-at cables either.

Jul 21, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #2,657 of 3,674
fair enough, but then I see something like the 1950/1960s series doing so well and I wonder how much ergonomics, bling, or the prestige of the cutting edge really does matter, and how much of it is just the price tag.
For me the 1950s/1960s are the first (and only) high-end cables I've heard that made a difference that notably improved the sound of already great IEMs. I'm convinced it's the Cardas copper in these (which is why I had my own Cardas cables made up by the voodoomeister @doctorjuggles). At the same time I used the opportunity to improve on the look and ergonomics of the 1950s/1960s, so essentially got the best of all worlds minus the silly prices PW wants for his Cardas cables. I still won't pay those sort of prices no matter how good the cable is, and frankly I don't believe any of the new cables will improve on my Cardas enough to justify any sort of added investment, at least not with the LX.
For me, an iem requiring any form of EQ is already out of the question. There shouldnt be a need to EQ what I like.
Agreed. If the IEM needs EQ that I can't tweak with a cable or tips, it's not the right IEM for me.
Well, I do love my tubes, but I also love Cardas Copper.
Can't comment on your other cable choices but I'm sure they're fantastic ito synergy with your IEMs. If anyone knows what he's after sound-wise it's you.
It would literally be the reverse order for me. I don’t know if I’ve got unusual hearing or something but good cables make a huge difference to the sound of an IEM to me and the right pairing synergy can produce incredible results.

I know many won’t agree but, for me, the cable is almost as important as the IEM itself. That 5 -10% improvement (the arbitrary figure often quoted to illustrate the importance - or lack thereof that good cables might offer - note that I say good not expensive, as they are not necessarily the same thing) may seem like a small percentage on paper but can make a lot of difference in practice.

Take, for example, the EE Hero, an IEM that I really like for a lot of reasons but can, at times, get shouty and sibilant. When paired with the new Penon Storm cable, the Hero retains nearly all of its great qualities, expands the stage and settles down the shoutiness and sibilance without losing any of the satisfying detail or low end. That could be the difference, for some, between an unlistenable or listenable IEM. For me it’s the difference between a really good IEM with flaws and a great IEM that shares regular rotation with my Trailli, Cerberus, Odin and others.

And all products in this industry are ‘tuned’ in some way, using different drivers, shells, tubes, crossovers, vents and conductivity of various metals, amongst many other factors. Just because a metal is more conductive, it doesn’t mean it produces a more pleasing sound, or the opposite.

Working with different materials and alloys offers more variation and fine tuning options for consumers, and companies like Effect Audio, PW Audio and Eletech are at the forefront of R&D in this area. R&D costs money and the numbers these TOTL cables are sold in are very small, so they need to be priced high in order to cover that and the materials etc. It’s up to you as a consumer to decide the value of that change in sound vs cost of entry. No one is forcing anyone to buy cables here. If a person doesn’t see the value in them, then I feel happy for them because they’ve just saved a lot of money. Unfortunately for my bank account, I seem to be afflicted by hearing that can tell (and appreciate) the difference.

And it doesn’t hurt that @EffectAudio, PW Audio and @Eric Chong, amongst others, makes truly stunning-to-look-at cables either.
I definitely agree. If there's no measurable improvement in SQ or synergy (there's a difference) there's really no point getting a cable upgrade. The only other time I would is to fix obvious ergonomic balls ups like 64 Audio's stock cables (prior to the U6t cable) or to get a cable with better/different terminations.

Jul 21, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #2,658 of 3,674
I also think it depends where you are coming from as that has a marked difference on the context.

For example if it’s for a 64 Audio IEM it’s almost obligatory. Mostly for SQ and overall quality / handling. If it’s for a moderately priced IEM that came with a good but not great cable, it might be purely for a sonic upgrade. If it’s for something like the bird or IE900 it may be purely for ergonomics.

Sure, you get fanboys that need to match cable brands across their IEMs irrespective of any innate need for a change, but believe they are in the minority (though often very vocal).

TL;DR - replacing a cable has its merits but the rationale typically differs on a case by case scenario.

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #2,659 of 3,674
The only problem is Carver’s stuff sounded like dog crap.
It was null tested, so the C-J has to have sounded like dog crap in the first place for the null to be valid :wink:

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #2,660 of 3,674
Jul 21, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #2,661 of 3,674
I suspect most (not all) of the guys buying multi kilobuck cables are buying them for 1. looks/bling 2. ergonomics 3. prestige 4. brand loyalty............5. sound quality. In that order.
bada bing. Nailed it.

Jul 21, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #2,662 of 3,674
Jul 21, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #2,663 of 3,674
I'd love to know what the COG is on these “super cables!”
Dealer margin varies but AFAIK ranges between 45% on the companies with smaller margins and 70-75% at the upper bound

Jul 21, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #2,664 of 3,674
Apparently to some, dog crap sounds delicious.
That would be the CJ stuff, the thickest, warmest, loveliest dog crap ever made!😉

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #2,665 of 3,674
@mvvRAZ you bought a Thummim back? I got one myself finally awhile back. Funny enough i haven't been able to touch it - it's sitting with a family member because I'm out of the country and will be for a bit haha. An interesting game of patience to pay a price tag like that and not actually touch it for a few months.

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #2,666 of 3,674
@mvvRAZ you bought a Thummim back? I got one myself finally awhile back. Funny enough i haven't been able to touch it - it's sitting with a family member because I'm out of the country and will be for a bit haha. An interesting game of patience to pay a price tag like that and not actually touch it for a few months.
Atleast you will enjoy it burned in :)
Kinda of hated the burning in of my unit.
Couldn't decide between believe I got a defective pair or I should just be patient :)

Jul 23, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #2,667 of 3,674
I did indeed get one again, need to check with Joseph on the shipping... haha yeah I can imagine the anticipation. As long as the fit works for you I believe you'll love it!

A18S.PNG

On another note, the A18S review sheet has been updated and a lot of the thread's suggestions have been taken into account!

IMG-4786.jpg

Jul 23, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #2,668 of 3,674
I did indeed get one again, need to check with Joseph on the shipping... haha yeah I can imagine the anticipation. As long as the fit works for you I believe you'll love it!

A18S.PNG

On another note, the A18S review sheet has been updated and a lot of the thread's suggestions have been taken into account!
Nice! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back