RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Jun 17, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #2,311 of 3,674
Traillii stock cable MSRP is $2.4k I believe (not justifying, just clarifying). But yeah we mostly all felt that way about the cost/build/packaging til we actually listened to it😂🤷🏼‍♂️
I think i mixed cable with a other (FuSang maybe?) Where it was highly unrecommended. Read a few diff IEMs the past couple days. But yeah, i have a very nice 2 channel speaker system, no headphones or IEMs can match so i have my highedt sound quality fill. I use my IEMs for portability, if they're not portable i.e usable out and about, durable, made to last. Not for me. Whenever I'm home, I'm at my speakers, whenever I'm moving about that's what my IEMs are for. What's better in life then sitting at a creek over rushing water with fantastic music playing in your ears. Hiking mountains with bliss in your ears? Trust your 6k plastic IEMs for that? Not I

Plus, i couldn't guess repair bills on the shells in a couple years when the acrylic starts to crack

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #2,313 of 3,674
The only “tougher” built IEMs I can think of with DDs that aren’t “low fi” would be Noir, M5, Sultan, and Thummim. Definitely not much given your criteria. I’d suggest a Noir for sure.
*Cough* Z1R *Cough*

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #2,315 of 3,674
Ah yeah that too, Noir or Z1R would be my recommendations out of all of those. The M5 probably has the safest tuning from what I listed but it sounds like you want a bass cannon @Liberatus so it may fall short there.
M5 was my first custom actually. Sultan did it better.
Noir i haven't tried, I overlooked it in the past, came out a couple years ago?

I'm not looking for a bass cannon I just have a engineer ear tuned more for DD style. BA just doesn't do it for me very much. Some tune BAs well, but the air & pressure differences are still there

Thanks for all the suggestions though everyone! I have been hunting for a few years so almost all these same options have come and gone on the list haha. This is why I took a hiatus for awhile and just enjoyed the Sultan

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #2,316 of 3,674

I'm not looking for a bass cannon I just have a engineer ear tuned more for DD style. BA just doesn't do it for me very much. Some tune BAs well, but the air & pressure differences are still there

Thanks for all the suggestions though everyone! I have been hunting for a few years so almost all these same options have come and gone on the list haha. This is why I took a hiatus for awhile and just enjoyed the Sultan

Noir is like 2 years old now but it’s probably something you’ll enjoy. It’s quite different from the OG Fourte.
Good luck!

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #2,317 of 3,674
Ah yeah that too, Noir or Z1R would be my recommendations out of all of those. The M5 probably has the safest tuning from what I listed but it sounds like you want a bass cannon @Liberatus so it may fall short there.

Ahmm ahummm where did fourté og and trio have gone? Those are not bad bass DD as well.

I would add also Jolene and Lola!

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #2,319 of 3,674

Did you ever try the Thummim? You said, I think, it checked your boxes based only on reviews.

My story with Thummim was a 20 minute demo which had me perplexed, what I heard stayed lodged in my brain, but the sharp edged shell made me pass. After 4 months of dreaming about what I had heard I borrowed one for a week and found out they were fine for comfort. Now I am very happy to have one of them. Maybe you should just go with your gut on this one and give them a try.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #2,320 of 3,674
Did you ever try the Thummim? You said, I think, it checked your boxes based only on reviews.

My story with Thummim was a 20 minute demo which had me perplexed, what I heard stayed lodged in my brain, but the sharp edged shell made me pass. After 4 months of dreaming about what I had heard I borrowed one for a week and found out they were fine for comfort. Now I am very happy to have one of them. Maybe you should just go with your gut on this one and give them a try.
You sir, have had the most reasonable response yet that has made me want to just make the purchase I've been holding off on since it came out haha!

Damn. It would be a big bite to take if the fit is an issue and i can't really get my hands on one in advanced. I had hoped to test one prior but didn't get the opportunity.i also just don't like the looks. But i can give up on looks if the sound and durability and fit are all checked because looks are minor consideration

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #2,321 of 3,674
You sir, have had the most reasonable response yet that has made me want to just make the purchase I've been holding off on since it came out haha!

Damn. It would be a big bite to take if the fit is an issue and i can't really get my hands on one in advanced. I had hoped to test one prior but didn't get the opportunity.i also just don't like the looks. But i can give up on looks if the sound and durability and fit are all checked because looks are minor consideration
Just catching up with the comments

Personal recommendation for a DD IEM will be Noir or Thummim. Leaner and cleaner for noir, balls to the wall for thummim

Both have excellent shells, excellent build quality and incredible, speaker-like sound

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #2,322 of 3,674

Interestingly, the Thummim are my best fitting IEMs. I can wear them for hours. It's personal of course, but I think that for most people, the pointy bit sticks out and doesn't touch the ears. (I love the looks btw.)

Jun 18, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #2,323 of 3,674
Maybe go to 3500 like most TOTL in plastic clothes and cheap gear but without the cables bundle, expensive/fancy shell, extra offerings, etc. like UM at least did with the FuSang, i just don't believe they've justified the price difference.
Traillii cable is $2000 retail, so that gets you close to the $6K asking price with your $3500 'plastic' budget. That said, if you're looking for an out and about, rough and tumble IEM, I agree, Traillii is probably not ideal. I definitely wouldn't take it out the house!

@Liberatus there are lots of suggestions here but one glaring ommision: Sennheiser IE900. It ticks all your boxes, and if Traillii sound is the benchmark recommendation, may I suggest you give the IE900 a demo. You might think at $1300 it doesn't play on the same field as the 'big boys', but trust me and trust your ears.

Good luck with the search!

Jun 18, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #2,324 of 3,674
Traillii cable is $2000 retail, so that gets you close to the $6K asking price with your $3500 'plastic' budget. That said, if you're looking for an out and about, rough and tumble IEM, I agree, Traillii is probably not ideal. I definitely wouldn't take it out the house!

@Liberatus there are lots of suggestions here but one glaring ommision: Sennheiser IE900. It ticks all your boxes, and if Traillii sound is the benchmark recommendation, may I suggest you give the IE900 a demo. You might think at $1300 it doesn't play on the same field as the 'big boys', but trust me and trust your ears.

A 1960s 4w at 2000$ is kinda yuck though lol, especially considering you can get a clone with nicer hardware for 500 or so

Jun 18, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #2,325 of 3,674

That good, huh? Well, now the wait will feel even longer. Thanks, man… 😄

Keen on your impressions/review when that drops

Users who are viewing this thread

Back