RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Jun 17, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #2,296 of 3,674
Jun 17, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #2,297 of 3,674
With a new 64 flagship on the way I’m kind of eyeing the new Metropolis lineup from PW… anyone that can provide any insight on either?

2128C2D8-5D81-4646-BE6F-F1504101B72A.jpeg

Jun 17, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #2,298 of 3,674
With a new 64 flagship on the way I’m kind of eyeing the new Metropolis lineup from PW… anyone that can provide any insight on either?

Believe @Calfredo826 has a metropolis paired wit his Bomber

Jun 17, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #2,300 of 3,674
Jun 17, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #2,301 of 3,674
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #2,302 of 3,674
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/un...nd-special-edition.25094/reviews#review-26084

Mason FuSang/FS review is now up!

@Liberatus nice to have you back! The Balmung was just released, but it's a little too emotional and musical for me. U18S - as you know I'm a massive fan, and lastly the Mason FuSang that I just reviewed :)

Lots of stuff came out while you've been away actually, good times haha
Too musical and emotional? Is that even a possibility? Haha i didn't think that would be a complaint available to music ^_^
Interesting because that means in my direction, as well all metal is definitely in my boat. But the all BA setup.. I just have too much of an affair for DD bass.

I'm looking for something that will match the Thummim but has a better she'll design -_- I've been content with the Sultan because it's almost that. But the Thummim always seems to be asking me to come join it on the future-fi side.
The FuSang seems interesting but what about that shell, it's all carbon fiber? Is it similar to acrylic shells in structure? I'm curious what that feels like and the durability. The all BA again isn't really getting me too excited. Beautiful midrange & vocal reviews do, ever since the Elysium I've been looking to get that vocal/midrange but in hardshell, with better low end.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #2,303 of 3,674
Too musical and emotional? Is that even a possibility? Haha i didn't think that would be a complaint available to music ^_^
Interesting because that means in my direction, as well all metal is definitely in my boat. But the all BA setup.. I just have too much of an affair for DD bass.

I'm looking for something that will match the Thummim but has a better she'll design -_- I've been content with the Sultan because it's almost that. But the Thummim always seems to be asking me to come join it on the future-fi side.
The FuSang seems interesting but what about that shell, it's all carbon fiber? Is it similar to acrylic shells in structure? I'm curious what that feels like and the durability. The all BA again isn't really getting me too excited. Beautiful midrange & vocal reviews do, ever since the Elysium I've been looking to get that vocal/midrange but in hardshell, with better low end.
The Oriolus Trailli may be what you’re after.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #2,304 of 3,674
The Oriolus Trailli may be what you’re after.
Unfortunatly, plastic is garbage. And i won't pay $6k for plastic. Or 2k. Hardshell is the only thing that works for me. I don't like to baby my IEMs. I want to use them, if i need to pull out of my ears and hand around my neck for a bit, i want to be able to. Versatility and still be protected and durable. No I'm not throwing them against a wall but these acrylic ones have cracked just from age before, or clicking together around my neck.

Can't do it. Especially for the price, absolutely a joke to me honestly. Can afford, but won't bother.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #2,305 of 3,674
Unfortunatly, plastic is garbage. And i won't pay $6k for plastic. Or 2k. Hardshell is the only thing that works for me. I don't like to baby my IEMs. I want to use them, if i need to pull out of my ears and hand around my neck for a bit, i want to be able to. Versatility and still be protected and durable. No I'm not throwing them against a wall but these acrylic ones have cracked just from age before, or clicking together around my neck.

Can't do it. Especially for the price, absolutely a joke to me honestly. Can afford, but won't bother.
If Trailli’s build is a dealbreaker (although I imagine it’s tuning is similar to what you are describing, and yes even without the DD), I don’t think there are many IEMS (if any) similar to Thummim right now. Most fall short soundstage/texture/thickness wise, including Sultan-although I agree it can be considered a mini-Thummim with worse treble but better subbass + equally similar dry’ish neutral mids. Thummim fit was also a deal breaker for me sadly, but it’s undeniably one of the most unique (and in turn, controversial) IEMs.

Hoping VE and 64A bring in some more summit-fi’s within the next few months.

Edit: Have you tried the Noir?

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #2,306 of 3,674

Fair enough. The sounds seems like it’d be right up your alley though.

Jun 17, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #2,307 of 3,674
that's a shame...you'd probably be blown away by the traillii, @Liberatus.

even if you don't want to foot the bill yourself, try to get your ears on one and see what you think.

i am demoing the FS right now, and the trailii is definitely a totally different sound.

also, if you like dd bass the fs will be a no-go for you, i believe...whereas the traillii, will most likely just leave you scratching your head as to how there is not a dd in there.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #2,308 of 3,674
Thanks for the feedback guys, yeah this is why I stepped away for awhile to enjoy my Sultan. Waiting to see if anything could fill my dream spot! Unfortunately either I'm too picky/needy or i should just cave and buy the Thummim because it's what I've been looking for. Haha!

The Thummim ticked almost all my boxes for sound preferences, build quality, cable, etc. based on reviews, but the she'll design has kept me from pressing GO so far :frowning2:
I get physical ear fatigue from even some standard shaped IEMs, or even just firm tips after a few hours. Again, that is a no go for me because i have to be able to press play and just disappear for hours no qualms or distractions pulling me out of the experience.

If Oriolus makes a Trailli hardshell, or offers that special order I would possibly consider it. But I'm not a fan of those who just hike up their prices absolutely unfoundeldy. With plastic bits, basic designs, standard stock cable, etc.
For me, the Thummim was one of the first Summit price beakers that could support it's claim. Unique shell design with high quality expensive material, great tech inside, $1k cable, fancy packaging, great sound. Still seemed to be a lot, but at least added things to suggest why the price increase. same with Erl. I didn't buy the Erl when it first came out because the silver was too scratch inducing and the IEM was just way too heavy in my ears, but again, there was things that justified the price.

Trailli? Jumps out of nowhere to $6k, with absolutely none of that except sound. Sound may be great, but tuning is just a part of the work you offer, and if it's basic shell and parts then the IEM isn't proprietary or new, they just hit good on a particular tuning. Repricing a whole catagory and only having the sound be done right just doesn't sit right with me. They just took out a cash rake basically and for some reason people went with it. Which is interesting considering Oriolus was an unknown besides their amps some people such as me have had in the past.
Erlk and Thummim were much criticized and slow to get traction due to their extra high pricing. Erlk was a well established brand. So, yeah Oriolus pop was interesting to me.

Maybe go to 3500 like most TOTL in plastic clothes and cheap gear but without the cables bundle, expensive/fancy shell, extra offerings, etc. like UM at least did with the FuSang, i just don't believe they've justified the price difference.

I've listened to multi million dollar studio gear and setups. Sound, form & function. All vital. Sound only doesn't matter if kit breaks in a year and you charge me more then double the price bracket. Someone always makes new gear that sounds better or just as good for cheaper, and what stays in the studio for years is gear that stands the test of time, durability, useability and beautiful sound.

People should start thinking of making art, classic pieces that stand the test of time and gain value over time or hold it. Much other segments of audio gear has this. Unfortunately, this segment seems to rely on mass reproduction and tweaking. Not much made to last. Brands undercut their own products with quick new release, etc. In business, these companies do not often last long unless they get mainstream traction and sell cheap gear at high brand prices (I.e Bose, etc.) Either way, not quality companies just money ships. An issue with consumerism that we constantly experience the lash backs of in most industries but have yet to finally accept the situation and change course.

Robotics will only make this worse as well, when all uniqueness is stamped out and mass reproduction takes out ingenuity & creative flair, artisan quality and products will be much a needed break for us humans.

Jun 17, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #2,309 of 3,674

I can say the Metropolis 1950s is , when paired with Thummim, staggeringly good.
Neither Iliad not Plato brought the technical ability to the Thummim the way M1950s can.
I could not recommend this pair up enough.
Also any bass bloom people complained with the Thummim is not something that will ever be an issue when the two are paired.

Without being able to test the cable on any other IEM I can give only my guess in saying I think the cable tames and viscerally controls the low end, and adds brightness to the treble. Midrange seems to be least affected by it tonally .
Other notable things is the sharp and amazingly fast note attack , and very black background.
The lvl of detail Thummim is now able to retrieve with it is on the same level I found the MAD24 able to so and sounstage is even more crazier.

I so wish someone soon pairs the two together so I don't seem like an incompetent madman praising this cable this much xD

Jun 17, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #2,310 of 3,674
Thanks for the feedback guys, yeah this is why I stepped away for awhile to enjoy my Sultan. Waiting to see if anything could fill my dream spot! Unfortunately either I'm too picky/needy or i should just cave and buy the Thummim because it's what I've been looking for. Haha!

The Thummim ticked almost all my boxes for sound preferences, build quality, cable, etc. based on reviews, but the she'll design has kept me from pressing GO so far :frowning2:
I get physical ear fatigue from even some standard shaped IEMs, or even just firm tips after a few hours. Again, that is a no go for me because i have to be able to press play and just disappear for hours no qualms or distractions pulling me out of the experience.

If Oriolus makes a Trailli hardshell, or offers that special order I would possibly consider it. But I'm not a fan of those who just hike up their prices absolutely unfoundeldy. With plastic bits, basic designs, standard stock cable, etc.
For me, the Thummim was one of the first Summit price beakers that could support it's claim. Unique shell design with high quality expensive material, great tech inside, $1k cable, fancy packaging, great sound. Still seemed to be a lot, but at least added things to suggest why the price increase. same with Erl. I didn't buy the Erl when it first came out because the silver was too scratch inducing and the IEM was just way too heavy in my ears, but again, there was things that justified the price.

Trailli? Jumps out of nowhere to $6k, with absolutely none of that except sound. Sound may be great, but tuning is just a part of the work you offer, and if it's basic shell and parts then the IEM isn't proprietary or new, they just hit good on a particular tuning. Repricing a whole catagory and only having the sound be done right just doesn't sit right with me. They just took out a cash rake basically and for some reason people went with it. Which is interesting considering Oriolus was an unknown besides their amps some people such as me have had in the past.
Erlk and Thummim were much criticized and slow to get traction due to their extra high pricing. Erlk was a well established brand. So, yeah Oriolus pop was interesting to me.

Maybe go to 3500 like most TOTL in plastic clothes and cheap gear but without the cables bundle, expensive/fancy shell, extra offerings, etc. like UM at least did with the FuSang, i just don't believe they've justified the price difference.

I've listened to multi million dollar studio gear and setups. Sound, form & function. All vital. Sound only doesn't matter if kit breaks in a year and you charge me more then double the price bracket. Someone always makes new gear that sounds better or just as good for cheaper, and what stays in the studio for years is gear that stands the test of time, durability, useability and beautiful sound.

People should start thinking of making art, classic pieces that stand the test of time and gain value over time or hold it. Much other segments of audio gear has this. Unfortunately, this segment seems to rely on mass reproduction and tweaking. Not much made to last. Brands undercut their own products with quick new release, etc. In business, these companies do not often last long unless they get mainstream traction and sell cheap gear at high brand prices (I.e Bose, etc.) Either way, not quality companies just money ships. An issue with consumerism that we constantly experience the lash backs of in most industries but have yet to finally accept the situation and change course.

Robotics will only make this worse as well, when all uniqueness is stamped out and mass reproduction takes out ingenuity & creative flair, artisan quality and products will be much a needed break for us humans.
Traillii stock cable MSRP is $2.4k I believe (not justifying, just clarifying). But yeah we mostly all felt that way about the cost/build/packaging til we actually listened to it😂🤷🏼‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back