RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Nov 19, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #976 of 3,674
For the M5 reshell, I am debating between reverting it to be the universal fit or to use my own ear impressions. Normally I would just go with the ear impression option, but I am not sure how long I will keep the M5, and having it custom-made seems to be a huge disadvantage in the resell market. Plus, the universal fit seems to be very comfortable and delivers the same level of sound quality as well.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated!!

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #977 of 3,674
For the M5 reshell, I am debating between reverting it to be the universal fit or to use my own ear impressions. Normally I would just go with the ear impression option, but I am not sure how long I will keep the M5, and having it custom-made seems to be a huge disadvantage in the resell market. Plus, the universal fit seems to be very comfortable and delivers the same level of sound quality as well.

For any IEM that you aren't absolutely crazy about always go universal, simple as that :D

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #978 of 3,674
Some thoughts about the ranking...

I’m actually considering having each ranking chart only be valid for a specific year - the current one for example would be 2019/2020, next year’s will be 2021 etc etc

Several reasons why that might be a good idea:

- it means I only rank things that I’ve heard in that year. Comparing next year’s IEMs to things that I haven’t heard in over 2-3 years will be increasingly unreliable and it’ll only get worse with the years

- accounts for tech getting better with time - I was looking at the chart the other day, and some of the differences in sound quality are becoming quite big within the same tier. For the most part that is happening as a result of new releases that provide either exceptional performance, or exceptional value

- reflects my current preferences and standards as opposed to what I thought was good or what I enjoyed some time ago. Over time I’ve become way more critical of IEMs, and I’m sure that if I re-listened some of the stuff I heard at the canjam in 2019 I’d give them much lower ranks.

- more consistency when it comes to DAPs used. I generally tend to use a DAP for long periods of time, so if the ranking only covers a given year, it’s most likely that everything will have been listened to with the same DAP

Any thoughts? I’d love some counter arguments, as the idea sounds pretty good in my head

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #979 of 3,674
Plus, the universal fit seems to be very comfortable and delivers the same level of sound quality as well.
You can also get custom eartips - fits like a glove and the IEM can still be resold any time.

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #980 of 3,674

You can customise your ‘universal custom’ like I did :wink:

Attachments

• 32201FA1-9180-48FB-B1B2-1CD96BDA793F.jpeg
    32201FA1-9180-48FB-B1B2-1CD96BDA793F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #981 of 3,674
Some thoughts about the ranking...

I’m actually considering having each ranking chart only be valid for a specific year - the current one for example would be 2019/2020, next year’s will be 2021 etc etc

Several reasons why that might be a good idea:

- it means I only rank things that I’ve heard in that year. Comparing next year’s IEMs to things that I haven’t heard in over 2-3 years will be increasingly unreliable and it’ll only get worse with the years

- accounts for tech getting better with time - I was looking at the chart the other day, and some of the differences in sound quality are becoming quite big within the same tier. For the most part that is happening as a result of new releases that provide either exceptional performance, or exceptional value

- reflects my current preferences and standards as opposed to what I thought was good or what I enjoyed some time ago. Over time I’ve become way more critical of IEMs, and I’m sure that if I re-listened some of the stuff I heard at the canjam in 2019 I’d give them much lower ranks.

- more consistency when it comes to DAPs used. I generally tend to use a DAP for long periods of time, so if the ranking only covers a given year, it’s most likely that everything will have been listened to with the same DAP

Any thoughts? I’d love some counter arguments, as the idea sounds pretty good in my head
Sounds good. It will force you to re-listen to a lot of IEMs every year. Burden will be on you.

Can you do us a favor and purchase 10 of the TOTL DAPs and test all IEMS with all combinations? LOL. Just kidding. But, we do need to consider proper pairings, cables and ear tips. I am finding that it matters a lot when getting to the rarified air of TOTL.

While you are at it. How about a column for best suited for which genres of music?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #982 of 3,674
You can customise your ‘universal custom’ like I did :wink:
This looks really nice! I will definitely get a custom design for the reshell :jecklinsmile:

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #983 of 3,674
Sounds good. It will force you to re-listen to a lot of IEMs every year. Burden will be on you.

Can you do us a favor and purchase 10 of the TOTL DAPs and test all IEMS with all combinations? LOL. Just kidding. But, we do need to consider proper pairings, cables and ear tips. I am finding that it matters a lot when getting to the rarified air of TOTL.

While you are at it. How about a column for best suited for which genres of music?
DAPs... yeah they make a very big difference - the closest I can come to “adjusting” for that is the LPGT - dead neutral and powerful enough to drive any IEM. Realistically that doesn’t do justice to IEMs that are designed to be driver by a warmer or brighter source, but it’s also a sort of Jack of all trades solution

The re-listening part - yeah that’s the main concern but with trade shows coming back hopefully it should be pretty doable

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #985 of 3,674
How are the new cables turning out? And how is lil’ sis finding her KC and Graphene cables? :xf_cool:
I haven't gotten the KC yet as there was a little mix up in the cables that they sent me - should have it early next week!

The three IEM cables are all pure silvers, and they're sounding really good! A rather warm tonality from what I'm hearing at the moment, will make an impression/photo post soon :)

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #986 of 3,674
You can also get custom eartips - fits like a glove and the IEM can still be resold any time.
Where can you get custom ear tips? I am interested in that option.

I got custom ear sleeves from Sensaphonics for my Shure SE846s. They work great. I wish they did more than just Shure IEMs.

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #987 of 3,674
Nov 20, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #988 of 3,674
Custom Art does them but I'm not a big fan of how they make the IEMs stick out in your ears

https://www.adv-sound.com/products/eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips - I've been really curious about these but haven't gotten any yet
Thanks for the tip. This company does good work based on the pics. I'm going to give them a try. I can at least have them make some for my airpod pros. that will be tricky because these IEMs have technology.

I am not concerned about sticking out of the ear. The Sensaphonics stick out, but it looks worse than it is.

Nov 20, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #989 of 3,674
Thanks for the tip. This company does good work based on the pics. I'm going to give them a try. I can at least have them make some for my airpod pros. that will be tricky because these IEMs have technology.

I am not concerned about sticking out of the ear. The Sensaphonics stick out, but it looks worse than it is.
I already bought custom tips for Khans form Custom Art and they work well. Maybe they're not absolute perfect but work fine enough. Just ordered second pair for KSE1500.

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #990 of 3,674
Custom Art does them but I'm not a big fan of how they make the IEMs stick out in your ears

https://www.adv-sound.com/products/eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips - I've been really curious about these but haven't gotten any yet
If you already don't like how custom art custom tips will make your iem stick out of your ears, the advanced tips are not going to be any better and may actually be worse since they are a full concha fit vs just a canal fit for the custom art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back