RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Nov 18, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #961 of 3,674
I am researching cables and this is turning into a black hole exercise. There are so many options. Those of you with more than a handful of IEMs, how do you manage your cables without the cost blowing out of control? Do you specifically pair several cables with each IEM? Or, do you try to share cables between your IEMs?

I really don't like 2 pin cables. The connections are not firm and they are fragile So easy to break or bend them. I much prefer MMCX to 2 pin. QDC is something that I am learning about. Seems to provide a shielded and more secure 2 pin. I see adaptors. Adapters seem to be a way to share cables between IEMs. Thoughts?

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #962 of 3,674
I am researching cables and this is turning into a black hole exercise. There are so many options. Those of you with more than a handful of IEMs, how do you manage your cables without the cost blowing out of control? Do you specifically pair several cables with each IEM? Or, do you try to share cables between your IEMs?

I really don't like 2 pin cables. The connections are not firm and they are fragile So easy to break or bend them. I much prefer MMCX to 2 pin. QDC is something that I am learning about. Seems to provide a shielded and more secure 2 pin. I see adaptors. Adapters seem to be a way to share cables between IEMs. Thoughts?

Getting Cables:
I try to figure out where the wires are sourced and then talk to some indie cable makers to source and make them if they run $400+. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Managing Cables:
I'm guessing the folks with kilobuck cables probably do a fair amount of sharing among their iems. Personally, I prefer to find a pairing I'm happy with and the cable goes on the iem for good. If I need another one, I'll just buy it. Of course this aproach does require a good price/performance ratio and a bit of the prior paragraph.

Cable Connectors:
In the short term, I've found mmcx to be more sturdy than 2 pin. But in the long run, being careful with 2 pin they've lasted longer. The thing with 2 pins is the width of the pins depends highly on QC, and a fairly popular cable maker had to recall a bunch of cables due to tolerance issues in recent history. The recessed 2 pin that QDC uses has also been a more niche version for some reason, personally I like the angled connector.

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #963 of 3,674
@mvvRAZ I noticed you only had the M5 on your ranking list,. have you heard the rest of the M series by any chance?

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #964 of 3,674
@mvvRAZ I noticed you only had the M5 on your ranking list,. have you heard the rest of the M series by any chance?
Unfortunately not :frowning2: I had the M5 before they even released the official red shell for it but never got the chance to hear the rest

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #965 of 3,674
Michael, I am already feeling how intense the M5 is lol. Not sure whether I will like it or hate it after some time. I guess I just need to spend more time with it.

Nov 18, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #969 of 3,674
Ive heard the sound on the customs are superior though, pros and cons to owning both.

Hmmmm it was about a 3 week gap between me letting go of the universal demos to receiving my customs and the only noticeable sound differences I can think of are that on my customs I have the ATOM modules to adjust the lower end a bit, other than that it came off as almost identical to me. But I know one of the big review websites stated they heard differences between both models.

Nov 18, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #970 of 3,674
Them FiR shells are so comfortable though, the second most comfortable fit for universals for me, first being Andro Golds.
Now my wait for my uni M4 is approaching agony. I'm already excited enough for essentially what if 64 Audio had nozzle lips.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #971 of 3,674
Hmmmm it was about a 3 week gap between me letting go of the universal demos to receiving my customs and the only noticeable sound differences I can think of are that on my customs I have the ATOM modules to adjust the lower end a bit, other than that it came off as almost identical to me. But I know one of the big review websites stated they heard differences between both models.

I never got customs myself so I can’t say myself, only what Ive tread about that, could be those reviewers heard the uni version before the tuning change? I’ve also never heard the pre-tuning change version myself.

Now my wait for my uni M4 is apporaching agony. I'm already excited enough for essentially what if 64 Audio had nozzle lips.

Aha the waits always the hardest part, hope you enot them when they eventually do arrive!

Nov 18, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #972 of 3,674
I never got customs myself so I can’t say myself, only what Ive tread about that, could be those reviewers heard the uni version before the tuning change? I’ve also never heard the pre-tuning change version myself.

Aha the waits always the hardest part, hope you enot them when they eventually do arrive!

Nah it was about the production models, latest tuning.

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #975 of 3,674
Michael, I am already feeling how intense the M5 is lol. Not sure whether I will like it or hate it after some time. I guess I just need to spend more time with it.
I absolutely loved it at first but I was about as burned out as I could be in 2 weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back