RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Sep 9, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #361 of 3,674
So about that.. the pins on the stock cable are a bit thicker than those of the Plato - the Plato fit in the sockets just right so if they stretch out even a tiny bit further it might start falling off so I can’t really AB them :frowning2:

I’d say the stock cable is a bit similar in tonality to the Eletech Socrates (warmer and darker) - I posted a more complete rundown of how the three cables stack up in the Eletech thread
$3K iem and the 2 pin sockets still goofed? Mannnnnnnnnnnn.

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #362 of 3,674
$3K iem and the 2 pin sockets still goofed? Mannnnnnnnnnnn.
Naw sockets are good on this one! The eletech’s fit just right and those are incredibly consistent - I was just saying that the stock cable feels a bit thicker than it should be, so I don’t want to potentially stretch out the socket :)

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #363 of 3,674
Hey Raz, if you were cable rolling or tip rolling or source rolling the Sultan, what part of the sound do you feel you want to improve? - or just generally, if you had to say one area you wish was improve in the range, what would you say you wanted?

I'm not sure I've been able to think of one yet.
If I was theoretically omnipotent?

I don’t know man, it’s hard to say... maybe a tiny bit less subbass?

I feel like the midrange of the sultan won’t work on a lot of other IEMs but in its case everything feels so well balanced and synergistic that it is one of those “perfect in their own way” IEMs. I’ve been listening to it for the past 3 days back to back and I’ve been absolutely loving the **** out of it.

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #364 of 3,674

I feel like the midrange of the sultan won’t work on a lot of other IEMs but in its case everything feels so well balanced and synergistic that it is one of those “perfect in their own way” IEMs. I’ve been listening to it for the past 3 days back to back and I’ve been absolutely loving the **** out of it.
Where did you get yours from? I dont see any dealers in EU, it's either the vendor site or bloom audio i think! I would love to avoid the VAT :D

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #365 of 3,674
Where did you get yours from? I dont see any dealers in EU, it's either the vendor site or bloom audio i think! I would love to avoid the VAT :D
Directly from Noble :) you can pm @acvjim to arrange shipping or @FullCircle if you’re after custom faceplates like I did with mine

I’ll just say I paid 60 euros in import duties :wink:

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #367 of 3,674

Yeah it's very surprising that within it's own signature, I don't feel like anything really is lacking. If I had to say, maybe a little more attack & punch to low end kicks, because the subbass kind of woofs around them more then the kick punch through but it's just in such a minor and personal preference way, I'm not sure I'm even right about that really.

Do you have any Xelastic tips? I would recommend those for you. Best feeling tips I've ever tried and they actually stay on the Sultan for me so I can use them. They open up soundstage usually on IEMs I put them on without attenuating the *edit* treble up more, just opens stage, and reduces subbass a little due to thinner material. So might be your solution

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #368 of 3,674
How much do you pay for the custom faceplates for Sultan? Can we pick and choose from somewhere?
The plates cost an extra 200$ in total so not too bad :) you can ask for almost anything really, id say speak to FullCircle about it

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #369 of 3,674
Yeah it's very surprising that within it's own signature, I don't feel like anything really is lacking. If I had to say, maybe a little more attack & punch to low end kicks, because the subbass kind of woofs around them more then the kick punch through but it's just in such a minor and personal preference way, I'm not sure I'm even right about that really.

Do you have any Xelastic tips? I would recommend those for you. Best feeling tips I've ever tried and they actually stay on the Sultan for me so I can use them. They open up soundstage usually on IEMs I put them on without attenuating the travel up more, just opens stage, and reduces subbass a little due to thinner material. So might be your solution
Yeah to be entirely honest no matter how much I tried to nitpick at the Sultan I couldn’t find anything wrong with it, and I was loving what I was hearing at the same time so it isn’t one of those “uncriticisable but boring” signatures

I haven’t tried Xelastec - my tips of choice are generally Acoustunes - I made sure the blue ones fit my Sultan because they just looked soooo good with the faceplate :D I’ll do my best to track some down though!

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #370 of 3,674
What has me curious though, is how good can you make these sound with different cables. I mean if I'm not finding any lacking currently, should I even bother checking out different cables. I'm using a custom cable made by FiR because they're great quality and feel, but I don't know if any high end cables will even add to the Sultan worth their price tag

Sep 10, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #372 of 3,674
Yeah to be entirely honest no matter how much I tried to nitpick at the Sultan I couldn’t find anything wrong with it, and I was loving what I was hearing at the same time so it isn’t one of those “uncriticisable but boring” signatures

I haven’t tried Xelastec - my tips of choice are generally Acoustunes - I made sure the blue ones fit my Sultan because they just looked soooo good with the faceplate :D I’ll do my best to track some down though!
did u get the zephyr and if you can share first impressions

would you rate vocals to be better on sultan than on khan, which would have fuller male vocals

Sep 10, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #373 of 3,674
did u get the zephyr and if you can share first impressions

would you rate vocals to be better on sultan than on khan, which would have fuller male vocals
The courier passed by my house but I missed him... I hope they drop it off at the UPS access point so I can pick it up in the afternoon :frowning2:

Male vocals on the Sultan vs Khan... I'd go with the Sultan personally even though I haven't heard the Khan for a while now. It has a warmer and fuller signature throughout the spectrum.

What has me curious though, is how good can you make these sound with different cables. I mean if I'm not finding any lacking currently, should I even bother checking out different cables. I'm using a custom cable made by FiR because they're great quality and feel, but I don't know if any high end cables will even add to the Sultan worth their price tag
As a most general train of thought:

I cannot, in any case, recommend a cable, because the performance upgrade is tiny, and even then, you might as well upgrade like the source rather than the cable

But, assuming you've decided you're interest in, or want a cable

My go-to here is Eletech. I love that each cable has a unique design philosophy, and they have extreme QC on their hardware so you'd most likely not have any issues with the size of their pins, or the durability of their plugs etc etc

I covered my thoughts on the Eletech pairups with the Sultan here. The changes experienced are pretty marginal, so what you'd be reading is just slightly exaggerated in order to better highlight the differences between the three

Sep 10, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #374 of 3,674
The Sultan sounds like a good IEM. For me though, the fact it was described as a ‘treble heads dream‘ will likely mean I’d really dislike it 😢

Sep 10, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #375 of 3,674
The Sultan sounds like a good IEM. For me though, the fact it was described as a ‘treble heads dream‘ will likely mean I’d really dislike it 😢
I used to have a “the more the merrier” approach to treble but I’ve kind of evolved to wanting a more controlled top end that is exquisitely extended - the A18S and Sultan fit that description to the dot (would love @Deezel177 input here)

I wouldn’t call the Sultan bright - to me it leans much more on the warmer side of things, maybe borderline neutral with just especially good treble :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back