RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Jun 19, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #2,416 of 3,674
I mean, what is the difference between being reference and safe? Reference is meant to be uncolored and how the music is intended to sound, no? Is that not safe?

All of the comparisons of IEM are irrelevant if you don’t really elaborate what sort of music you listen to. I like EDM which has some serious end to end extension although some people just assume its all bass. To me, this is where the Mason fails hard. It has a sub bass roll off and upper treble roll off (to my ears), although there is still a feeling of “air’ in the sound, it simply cannot reach those upper and lower frequencies well enough to reproduce the music at an acceptable level for the price tag. I personally felt I was literally missing parts of music because of It. On top of that, I felt the sound was muddy and veiled even compared to stuff I have heard that costs 1/4th the price. A bunch of EDM is all synth and has a lot of stuff going on at once which I just felt the Mason could not handle. Like @bigbeans stated though, if you are into acoustics mainly and what not, the Mason is great for that. I just felt that the trade offs it comes with are far too great for what it offers. Again, all just my personal opinion here with my own music tastes.

Haha @bigbeans me and Michael talk every day, I know he’s not a fan of the erlky. When I even had it on demo at first I thought it was quite boring also, it wasn’t until I bought It randomly during lockdown that I really fell in love with it.

The whole Mason v Traillii comparisons don’t even make sense to me, they are drastically different IEMs and clearly designed for different uses. The only similarity they had was that the Fabled Sound and Traillii cost the same. To me this presents the same logic as comparing something like the Final Audio A8000 (the one that is meant to be super bright?) to something like the Legend X… their prices are similar but entirely different uses.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #2,417 of 3,674
I mean, what is the difference between being reference and safe? Reference is meant to be uncolored and how the music is intended to sound, no? Is that not safe?

All of the comparisons of IEM are irrelevant if you don’t really elaborate what sort of music you listen to. I like EDM which has some serious end to end extension although some people just assume its all bass. To me, this is where the Mason fails hard. It has a sub bass roll off and upper treble roll off (to my ears), although there is still a feeling of “air’ in the sound, it simply cannot reach those upper and lower frequencies well enough to reproduce the music at an acceptable level for the price tag. I personally felt I was literally missing parts of music because of It. On top of that, I felt the sound was muddy and veiled even compared to stuff I have heard that costs 1/4th the price. A bunch of EDM is all synth and has a lot of stuff going on at once which I just felt the Mason could not handle. Like @bigbeans stated though, if you are into acoustics mainly and what not, the Mason is great for that. I just felt that the trade offs it comes with are far too great for what it offers. Again, all just my personal opinion here with my own music tastes.

Haha @bigbeans me and Michael talk every day, I know he’s not a fan of the erlky. When I even had it on demo at first I thought it was quite boring also, it wasn’t until I bought It randomly during lockdown that I really fell in love with it.

The whole Mason v Traillii comparisons don’t even make sense to me, they are drastically different IEMs and clearly designed for different uses. The only similarity they had was that the Fabled Sound and Traillii cost the same. To me this presents the same logic as comparing something like the Final Audio A8000 (the one that is meant to be super bright?) to something like the Legend X… their prices are similar but entirely different uses.
Fully agree! EDM felt like some parts were missing or dulled tbh. I stand by my statement, Blessing 2 Dusks are far far better than Mason FS for this type of music haha

The main motivation why I did the Mason FS review is because Unique Melody is carefully analyzing feedback and will likely incorporate it into their next FS release (Mentor FS). They've done such a great job with feedback from MEST I to MEST II, if I could help their next product I am glad to do so.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #2,418 of 3,674
Fully agree! EDM felt like some parts were missing or dulled tbh. I stand by my statement, Blessing 2 Dusks are far far better than Mason FS for this type of music haha

The main motivation why I did the Mason FS review is because Unique Melody is carefully analyzing feedback and will likely incorporate it into their next FS release (Mentor FS). They've done such a great job with feedback from MEST I to MEST II, if I could help their next product I am glad to do so.

If UM do a Mason type IEM but with a tuning that better suits what I’m after I’ll be all over it no doubt. They do seem to follow a little bit of a “house” type sound with how I heard the mest mk2 and mason.

I loved the mest mk2, but it is also like $1500. ANY iem.. Traillii mason erlky thummim etc, when you approach that price I think they all deserve to be put under insane levels of criticism. That is why I am so “hard” on the Mason.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #2,419 of 3,674
If UM do a Mason type IEM but with a tuning that better suits what I’m after I’ll be all over it no doubt. They do seem to follow a little bit of a “house” type sound with how I heard the mest mk2 and mason.

I loved the mest mk2, but it is also like $1500. ANY iem.. Traillii mason erlky thummim etc, when you approach that price I think they all deserve to be put under insane levels of criticism. That is why I am so “hard” on the Mason.
Mentor FS coming sometime around the end of this year. And, based off my experience with Mentor V3 vs. MEST, I can say that UM knows how to do a different, more “fun” tuning. :smirk:

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #2,420 of 3,674
Mentor FS coming sometime around the end of this year. And, based off my experience with Mentor V3 vs. MEST, I can say that UM knows how to do a different, more “fun” tuning. :smirk:

Then that’s something I’ll be keeping my eye on for sure. It seems the Mason name goes more towards reference? I’ve only heard the MEST MK2, and to me it was like a brighter U shaped IEM. How would you describe Mentor?

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #2,421 of 3,674
Then that’s something I’ll be keeping my eye on for sure. It seems the Mason name goes more towards reference? I’ve only heard the MEST MK2, and to me it was like a brighter U shaped IEM. How would you describe Mentor?
Yes, Mason has always been flat, neutral, or some may call reference.

Mentor is fun, engaging, yet balanced. It is actually even more like a Traillii in this sense.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #2,423 of 3,674
Bring on the boner Mentor 🤤😂
Indeed! Imagine a version of Traillii with BCD…and, very likely it will be priced (much) cheaper than Traillii since Mentor has always been cheaper than Mason. A non-LE version could be something like 3K.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #2,425 of 3,674
After I try the v14 today, all I have left to hear that I am curious about is the MMR Balmung and the Elysian Acoustic Labs annihilator which should be on its way to me next week sometime. Then I “plan” to chill until the new 64 audio releases and hopefully VE has something up their sleeve.
Ah ha! I see what you did with the quotation marks there :smirk:

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #2,427 of 3,674
Jun 19, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #2,429 of 3,674
I may or may not already have a buyer lined up for the v14 and it hasn’t even been delivered yet. 🌚
Nice, you have become sooooo forward-looking now.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #2,430 of 3,674
I've got a buyer for my MEST II as well, should be coming on Monday. I wonder how it will stack up against the IE900.

Not sure if I'll keep both or sell one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back