RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
May 19, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #2,072 of 3,674
A12T just doesn't have that sweet DD. Only thing it's missing!
The A12t does bridge the gap somewhat, it’s no DD but the bass has really good rumble and a generally organic feel

May 19, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #2,073 of 3,674
So, I've had the JH Jolene demo unit for a few days now, and I've been meaning to hold off on impressions until my actual unit arrives, but considering there's been a fair bit of interest I'll post a short set of thoughts, to be followed by a more complete Jolene post once I have the CIEM that isn't as fit dependent

- The first weird thing about the Jolene's bass is that if you go anywhere below 100%, it just kinda drops off a cliff. Like, at 100% it doesn't dominate the performance or sound overdone or anything, but at like 60-70% I can pretty much not hear any bass response at all. It might be that the CIEM will hit a lot harder once I have perfect seal, so there the bass knob could be useful, but in its current state, it's pretty much Prada or nada.

- I'd generally describe the Jolene as a more balanced, 2.0 Legend X. The bass texture and layering are straight up incredible, and the punch doesn't lag behind either. It doesn't have as much quantity as the Legend X, which I personally consider a good thing, since it allows the rest of the FR to have some more breathing space.

- The double DD lower midrange goes a long way to improve the coherency of the Jolene as a hybrid. Creating an IEM with a heavy DD bass response and maintaining coherency is something that I've generally found to be difficult. The Sultan and Thummim are two IEMs that I find succeed in that, since they both have a very thick midrange to match the heavy DD - the Jolene however is a step above in that respect, there's a certain effortless-ness that the DD accomplishes in its presentation of the lower midrange. Male vocals sound absolutely exceptional on the Jolene. The upper midrange feels more like a "connecting frequency," bridging the gap between that is an exceptional bass and lower midrange response, and the Jolene's treble.

The upper midrange is in no way a poor upper midrange, it just doesn't really feel like it is demanding your attention the way the majority of IEMs on the market do at the moment. Listening to female vocal heavy tracks I feel more drawn to the bass/treble and instruments surrounding them than I do to the vocals themselves (I personally enjoy that)

- The treble is really, really well extended and is also the source of the Jolene's resolution. The upper treble gives it a really good sense of air and sparkle (not quite as forward as something like the Noir, comparable but slightly behind the A18S I'd say). It also helps the staging, which is already quite wide and spacious. As all JH IEMs, I hear more width than I do depth which is a good deal for me.

Technical ability I'll refrain from discussing just yet, I want to hear the CIEM first - so far I'd rate it quite highly based on the demo, but I tend to hear a lot of changes in staging, dynamics etc when I go to CIEM from uni which is why I'm holding off

Overall though, at 17-1800$ this is an absolute steal. I feel like they could've comfortably priced it at 2500$ ++, and I still wouldn't hesitate to buy as CIEM based on what I'm hearing from the demo. It goes toe to toe with most 3-4000$ flagships that I can think of, and is in no way a compromise.

Based on the demo, highly recommended. To be updated based on the CIEM.

Super exciting times ahead

- UM lineup review - Mest Mk2 and Mason FuSang on their way to me, should be here Friday optimistically, next week realistically. Really excited about the FS especially, been hearing incredible things about it
- MMR Balmung - Eric has been hyping me up about it, says he absolutely loved it when he heard it and is negotiating with Jo for a unit of his own. High hopes here, and that blue sword shell is just nerdgasm material
- Eletech's new TOTL woop woop new cable for my A18S? Apparently one of ET's dealers was able to try it with the 18S and said the pairing is incredible
Good stuff, man! I agree with pretty much everything you've said, though I'd say that the Jolene does have more top-end air and extension than the A18s. Perhaps, it's a custom-versus-uni thing.

Can you get aftermarket cables for the Jolene? With that unique connector?

And by 2.0 Legend X, is there a revised LX or you just mean it's like a better LX?

Any comparison to a U12T or Nio for me?

And can you let me know how female vocals like Lianne La Havas sound?

And that is all my questions Sir :D
Apart from the brands @mvvRAZ mentioned, Cross Lambda Audio also make cables with the new 7-pin connector and the bass pod.

I'm listening to Lianne La Havas's Bittersweet on them right now, and her vocals sound well-rounded, chesty and well-textured. You'll get a tiny bit more presence and power towards the beginning of the track where she's lower down her register, compared to when she begins to belt towards the track's climax. But, because she gets louder towards the end too, it evens out at the end of the day. The smokiness and rasp of her voice comes through very clearly as well. And, the upper-treble lift generates tons of air around her too. It's definitely an IEM that showcases the depth and earthiness of her voice, rather than the higher, brighter belts. But, it isn't one that compromises the latter for the former either.

May 19, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #2,074 of 3,674
The A12t does bridge the gap somewhat, it’s no DD but the bass has really good rumble and a generally organic feel
To use an analogy, the 12t bass is like Coke Light. It's good, very reminiscent of the real thing, but when you compare it to directly to the real thing it's just ok.

2. To me the Jolene sounds a little like a more balanced LX, with the main improvement being in the treble, which was a dealbreaker for me with the LX. Comes at the expense of some of the LX’s bass but not much
Curious, what it was about the LX bass didn't you like? I find it spot-on perfect for me 99% of the time. More sparkly and extended than Nio, though not quite as revealing and dynamic as Fourte.

May 19, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #2,075 of 3,674
Good stuff, man! I agree with pretty much everything you've said, though I'd say that the Jolene does have more top-end air and extension than the A18s. Perhaps, it's a custom-versus-uni thing.

Apart from the brands @mvvRAZ mentioned, Cross Lambda Audio also make cables with the new 7-pin connector and the bass pod.

I'm listening to Lianne La Havas's Bittersweet on them right now, and her vocals sound well-rounded, chesty and well-textured. You'll get a tiny bit more presence and power towards the beginning of the track where she's lower down her register, compared to when she begins to belt towards the track's climax. But, because she gets louder towards the end too, it evens out at the end of the day. The smokiness and rasp of her voice comes through very clearly as well. And, the upper-treble lift generates tons of air around her too. It's definitely an IEM that showcases the depth and earthiness of her voice, rather than the higher, brighter belts. But, it isn't one that compromises the latter for the former either.
I personally hear the A18S as very, very airy. There are very few IEMs that rival it on treble extension to my ears, but definitely possible that the spinfits are getting in the way too

To use an analogy, the 12t bass is like Coke Light. It's good, very reminiscent of the real thing, but when you compare it to directly to the real thing it's just ok.

Curious, what it was about the LX bass didn't you like? I find it spot-on perfect for me 99% of the time. More sparkly and extended than Nio, though not quite as revealing and dynamic as Fourte.
The legend X is just a little darker in the upper treble than what I enjoy - that being said, I like especially overdone upper treble, like disproportionately present compared to everything else :D

May 19, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #2,076 of 3,674
Also just a general observation - I'm starting to feel awkward when I mention that yet another new IEM I've tried has a huge stage, but manufacturers seem to have really figured out how to stretch out the sound in IEMs and achieve that width pretty much regardless of tuning. Just a little over an year ago, a wide and spacious stage was an accomplishment, by this point it's become basically a standard

May 19, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #2,077 of 3,674
Also just a general observation - I'm starting to feel awkward when I mention that yet another new IEM I've tried has a huge stage, but manufacturers seem to have really figured out how to stretch out the sound in IEMs and achieve that width pretty much regardless of tuning. Just a little over an year ago, a wide and spacious stage was an accomplishment, by this point it's become basically a standard
And yet Elysium exists. Just sayin'.

May 19, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #2,078 of 3,674
And yet Elysium exists. Just sayin'.
Ye but the Elysium is a 2019 IEM. A lot of the estat releases from then have a rather narrow stage (thinking FiR M5, Trinity, Valk Mk1 as a few examples)

May 19, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #2,079 of 3,674
Ye but the Elysium is a 2019 IEM. A lot of the estat releases from then have a rather narrow stage (thinking FiR M5, Trinity, Valk Mk1 as a few examples)
True, though my point was that some people are ok with a narrow stage I guess. Not me, so I'm liking this trend you've spotted.

May 19, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #2,080 of 3,674
True, though my point was that some people are ok with a narrow stage I guess. Not me, so I'm liking this trend you've spotted.
I wouldn’t put it as the death of all fun, I like both the elysium and the trinity, but yeah definitely - when given the option I’ll take width over depth or height any day and twice on Sunday haha

May 19, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #2,081 of 3,674
Hello all, I would be very interested to hear other opinions regarding UM 3D Terminator 3DT. I bought it just for fun, only $300+. I was really surprised, it’s sound really really good, great slam, separation top notch, great note weight, great heft, love this iem sound. Actually this is my most favorite of all my iems or all I’ve heard. Given I’m using it with Xelastec tips, Modded Romi Sony 1Z, FW Midnight v2 test version and CA gold 16 iem cable.

For background I have SE5U, CA Andromeda, EE Phantom. Also listened to VE8, great but I don’t like it since it feels like walls of sound hitting you at same time. I like FIR M5 but sounds too clean/HiFi if you know what I mean. Heard Elysium, good but bass anemic.

Frankly I’m perplexed, am I the outlier here, or does this UM 3DT sounds really good, or it’s synergy. I mean to me, this is the best iem I’ve heard. Hits all my check marks, and I’ve heard quite a lot of high tier iems. Would like to hear other’s opinions on this iem.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #2,082 of 3,674
So, I've had the JH Jolene demo unit for a few days now, and I've been meaning to hold off on impressions until my actual unit arrives, but considering there's been a fair bit of interest I'll post a short set of thoughts, to be followed by a more complete Jolene post once I have the CIEM that isn't as fit dependent

- The first weird thing about the Jolene's bass is that if you go anywhere below 100%, it just kinda drops off a cliff. Like, at 100% it doesn't dominate the performance or sound overdone or anything, but at like 60-70% I can pretty much not hear any bass response at all. It might be that the CIEM will hit a lot harder once I have perfect seal, so there the bass knob could be useful, but in its current state, it's pretty much Prada or nada.

- I'd generally describe the Jolene as a more balanced, 2.0 Legend X. The bass texture and layering are straight up incredible, and the punch doesn't lag behind either. It doesn't have as much quantity as the Legend X, which I personally consider a good thing, since it allows the rest of the FR to have some more breathing space.

- The double DD lower midrange goes a long way to improve the coherency of the Jolene as a hybrid. Creating an IEM with a heavy DD bass response and maintaining coherency is something that I've generally found to be difficult. The Sultan and Thummim are two IEMs that I find succeed in that, since they both have a very thick midrange to match the heavy DD - the Jolene however is a step above in that respect, there's a certain effortless-ness that the DD accomplishes in its presentation of the lower midrange. Male vocals sound absolutely exceptional on the Jolene. The upper midrange feels more like a "connecting frequency," bridging the gap between that is an exceptional bass and lower midrange response, and the Jolene's treble.

The upper midrange is in no way a poor upper midrange, it just doesn't really feel like it is demanding your attention the way the majority of IEMs on the market do at the moment. Listening to female vocal heavy tracks I feel more drawn to the bass/treble and instruments surrounding them than I do to the vocals themselves (I personally enjoy that)

- The treble is really, really well extended and is also the source of the Jolene's resolution. The upper treble gives it a really good sense of air and sparkle (not quite as forward as something like the Noir, comparable but slightly behind the A18S I'd say). It also helps the staging, which is already quite wide and spacious. As all JH IEMs, I hear more width than I do depth which is a good deal for me.

Technical ability I'll refrain from discussing just yet, I want to hear the CIEM first - so far I'd rate it quite highly based on the demo, but I tend to hear a lot of changes in staging, dynamics etc when I go to CIEM from uni which is why I'm holding off

Overall though, at 17-1800$ this is an absolute steal. I feel like they could've comfortably priced it at 2500$ ++, and I still wouldn't hesitate to buy as CIEM based on what I'm hearing from the demo. It goes toe to toe with most 3-4000$ flagships that I can think of, and is in no way a compromise.

Based on the demo, highly recommended. To be updated based on the CIEM.

Super exciting times ahead

- UM lineup review - Mest Mk2 and Mason FuSang on their way to me, should be here Friday optimistically, next week realistically. Really excited about the FS especially, been hearing incredible things about it
- MMR Balmung - Eric has been hyping me up about it, says he absolutely loved it when he heard it and is negotiating with Jo for a unit of his own. High hopes here, and that blue sword shell is just nerdgasm material
- Eletech's new TOTL woop woop new cable for my A18S? Apparently one of ET's dealers was able to try it with the 18S and said the pairing is incredible
Nice impressions. Glad to get more people hearing them!

Regarding the bass, I felt the same way. It hasn't been discussed much, but it's easily up there with the best quality bass I have heard, rivaling the z1r in my opinion, even if it's maybe not as big in quantity. And regarding the bass pod, I have been leaving it at 100% too. Going down to about 4 o'clock on the dial seems to reduce the little bit of boost you get at 100%, but any lower and I just felt the bass was pretty much non existent. Though I wonder how much of that is personal preference.

For treble I have found the custom smoothed it out a bit, at least based on memory, as it was over a month between having the demo and receiving my customs. So some of that air and sparkle seems to have been smoothed out as well. But that could just be how I perceive things.

May 19, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #2,083 of 3,674
Thank you Sir.

I think I want a better Nio. Fairly sizeable bass, but still plenty of midrange and balance

The Meat MK2 was super cool, but midrange let me down a bit.
I posted some comparisons between the nio and Jolene (since they are my two current iems) in the Jolene thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jh-audio-jolene-impressions-and-discussion.956466/post-16345427

The short of it is that the Jolene is not a "better" nio. It's definitely better in some ways, but they are just not similar enough. The nio is a warm iem with well represented mids and interesting treble character. While the Jolene is more of a balanced/neutral sound with a bit of a bass boost focused on subbass (depending on the bass pod).

May 19, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #2,084 of 3,674
Nice impressions. Glad to get more people hearing them!

Regarding the bass, I felt the same way. It hasn't been discussed much, but it's easily up there with the best quality bass I have heard, rivaling the z1r in my opinion, even if it's maybe not as big in quantity. And regarding the bass pod, I have been leaving it at 100% too. Going down to about 4 o'clock on the dial seems to reduce the little bit of boost you get at 100%, but any lower and I just felt the bass was pretty much non existent. Though I wonder how much of that is personal preference.

For treble I have found the custom smoothed it out a bit, at least based on memory, as it was over a month between having the demo and receiving my customs. So some of that air and sparkle seems to have been smoothed out as well. But that could just be how I perceive things.
The bass quality is amazing I agree, and I’m not getting that good of a fit, so I can only imagine how it will scale with the custom. That being said, I have no idea what’s happening with it, JH haven’t said anything since they sent me the demo haha

May 19, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #2,085 of 3,674
The bass quality is amazing I agree, and I’m not getting that good of a fit, so I can only imagine how it will scale with the custom. That being said, I have no idea what’s happening with it, JH haven’t said anything since they sent me the demo haha
Yea your wait has been pretty crazy. I think I saw you mention it was the faceplates causing issue? Perhaps they just really aren't set to make them as 3d as your design (from what I remember). The "3d" signature Jolene faceplate isn't really 3d in that way as their original marketing video sort of shows (I think it was how it was being lit). It's much flatter than it looks, but with the background having depth (but also still flat, just set back a bit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back