Jh Audio Jolene Impressions and Discussion
May 3, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #601 of 1,253
Just thought I would drop in some slightly updated impressions here.

On sound, the biggest differences I hear between what I remember from the demo likely has to do mainly with insertion depth and the improved seal and isolation. Bass response is more visceral and physical. And treble response definitely seems smoother than what I remember. Again I know there was some talk about a peak at 8khz, and all I can think of is potentially that resonant thingy that the custom eliminates again due to insertion depth and fit.

The small changes mentioned above are definitely to my liking, and I am really happy with the sound. They are kind of hard for me to really describe, other than just a very balanced and even sound. Not completely "neutral" or flat, but great mids, really well extended treble that isnt harsh, with a really nice subbass lift (that I could tune down with the bass pod if I wanted). They have definitely jumped to the top of my list, though Ill certainly need to do some more comparisons with my nio.

Some non sound related thoughts:

- Not the most exciting unboxing experience for those who care. Simply little black box with a small cardboard sleeve with my name on it. Inside was some foam holding the small screwdriver to adjust bass, a cleaning tool, and the carbon fiber case, with the IEM inside a little microfiber pouch inside.

- I got the hyper black jolene signature style. Its kind of hard to tell from marketing materials, but the hyper black is solid black resin with a silvery/glittery swirl. Its nice, but I wasnt quite sure what the material was going to be from the photos. The faceplate is super lightweight. The video makes it seem like it has a little more depth than it does. There is definitely depth between the umm flying girl (or whatever its called) and the background, but its pretty flat other than the difference between the logo and the "background". But overall its a nice design and I am happy with it.

- Fit overall seems good. They seal well and what is weird for me is that there are definitely times when I almost forget they are there. I am so used to having to readjust universals regularly that its a bit of a weird sensation. There is however a bit of pressure just sort of in my ear, which I imagine is normal. And on my right ear, the part sort of up and to the front when inserted (the antihelix or crus of helix i guess?) seems to cause some discomfort/light pain over time. Not really noticeable when sitting, but if I move a bit it becomes noticeable. Still havent had a longer listening session yet. I think its also the part I had trouble when getting my impressions done (which ended up requiring 3 sets of impressions being made) so I am wondering if my ears are just not quite "normal" in places. Whether this is an issue that I will need to do a refit or just something to get used to over a little time, I am not sure. Its my first experience with customs, so I imagine this might just be part of the process.
Nice to read your impressions. That sounding…

for the fit. Give a couple weeks of use and those discomfort will be gone. If still there, have a chat with JH, they may help. But your point of tired of adjusting Universals, that’s what got me into Customs and now I can’t deal with Uni anymore.

May 3, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #602 of 1,253
Nice to read your impressions. That sounding…

for the fit. Give a couple weeks of use and those discomfort will be gone. If still there, have a chat with JH, they may help. But your point of tired of adjusting Universals, that’s what got me into Customs and now I can’t deal with Uni anymore.
Yea, Im not jumping to any conclusions about the fit just yet, and I know the recommendation is to give it a week or two before taking any action. And I am not planning to do anything until I have given it that time.

The only experience I have to go on is that when I had universals with similar (though often worse) fit issues, the discomfort never went away, but then again none of them were actually shaped to my ear. It might also be in part because I am so used to fidgeting and readjusting my iems, that I am definitely still doing it with the jolene a bit, and its possible the readjustments are contributing to the discomfort too. Again though, its weird in that while wearing them, it mostly feels fine, just a slight pressure, only when I move them or tilt my head in a way that moves them, that it becomes more apparent as discomfort (and also takes a while to manifest). Either way, may just be "teething" issues to so to speak as this is very new for me.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #603 of 1,253
Yea, Im not jumping to any conclusions about the fit just yet, and I know the recommendation is to give it a week or two before taking any action. And I am not planning to do anything until I have given it that time.

The only experience I have to go on is that when I had universals with similar (though often worse) fit issues, the discomfort never went away, but then again none of them were actually shaped to my ear. It might also be in part because I am so used to fidgeting and readjusting my iems, that I am definitely still doing it with the jolene a bit, and its possible the readjustments are contributing to the discomfort too. Again though, its weird in that while wearing them, it mostly feels fine, just a slight pressure, only when I move them or tilt my head in a way that moves them, that it becomes more apparent as discomfort (and also takes a while to manifest. Either way, may just be "teething" issues to so to speak as this is very new for me.
Yeah, fidgeting around contributes to the discomfort. But that totally normal for first time user.

my own experience… my first CIEM was the A12t, it used to give me huge headaches on the beginning and I was always moving it around to find a good fit, it had a pressure point on my left ear, right were you are having it. From nothing, after a couple weeks it was perfect, would completely forget it was in my ears for multiple hours straight. Today, the 64a feels the loosest of all 3 I have. To the point that I sometimes don’t like the seal. LX is to tight and Layla is the perfect balance. All 3 were made with the same ear impressions.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #604 of 1,253
With my CIEM, and some UIEMs, I have a habit of pulling the top of my ears up and back, to break the seal and allow pressure relief, every so often. It helps me tolerate them for longer. Since the CIEM is rigid, it tends to work even better.
+1 I do that on insertion so there isn't already pressure built up and then just break the seal fairly often. I am very sensitive to ear fatigue and can't say that open, closed, apex, helped one way or another but it is probably because I don't keep them fully inserted long enough.

On sound, the biggest differences I hear between what I remember from the demo likely has to do mainly with insertion depth and the improved seal and isolation. Bass response is more visceral and physical. And treble response definitely seems smoother than what I remember. Again I know there was some talk about a peak at 8khz, and all I can think of is potentially that resonant thingy that the custom eliminates again due to insertion depth and fit.

The small changes mentioned above are definitely to my liking, and I am really happy with the sound. They are kind of hard for me to really describe, other than just a very balanced and even sound. Not completely "neutral" or flat, but great mids, really well extended treble that isnt harsh, with a really nice subbass lift (that I could tune down with the bass pod if I wanted). They have definitely jumped to the top of my list, though Ill certainly need to do some more comparisons with my nio.

- Not the most exciting unboxing experience for those who care. Simple little black box with a small cardboard sleeve with my name on it. Inside was some foam holding the small screwdriver to adjust bass, a cleaning tool, and the carbon fiber case, with the IEM inside a little microfiber pouch inside. Its not bad by any stretch, just dont be expecting anything amazing here like the sony ier z1r. Its simple and gets the job done, and I know for me, once I unbox something, I really dont care much about the box itself.

- I got the hyper black jolene signature style. Its kind of hard to tell from marketing materials, but the hyper black is solid black resin with a silvery/glittery swirl. Its nice, but I wasnt quite sure what the material was going to be from the photos. The whole IEM is actually quite a bit lighter than I was expecting. The video makes the faceplate seem like it has a little more depth than it does. There is definitely depth between the umm flying girl (or whatever its called) and the background, but its pretty flat other than the difference between the logo and the "background". But overall its a nice design and I am happy with it.

- Fit overall seems good. They seal well and what is weird for me is that there are definitely times when I almost forget they are there. I am so used to having to readjust universals regularly that its a bit of a weird sensation. There is however a bit of pressure just sort of in my ear, which I imagine is normal. And on my right ear, the part sort of up and to the front when inserted (the antihelix or crus of helix i guess?) seems to cause some discomfort/light pain over time. Not really noticeable when sitting, but if I move a bit it becomes noticeable. Still havent had a longer listening session yet. I think its also the part I had trouble when getting my impressions done (which ended up requiring 3 sets of impressions being made) so I am wondering if my ears are just not quite "normal" in places. Whether this is an issue that I will need to do a refit or just something to get used to over a little time, I am not sure. Its my first experience with customs, so I imagine this might just be part of the process.
I thought my Laylas were snug but the Jolenes really fill every nook and cranny. I also noticed enough pressure in my right crux of helix that over time would likely wear on me. Easy enough to fix if it bothers you. I had to send mine back anyway so asked them to fix that at the same time.

May 3, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #605 of 1,253
Yeah, fidgeting around contributes to the discomfort. But that totally normal for first time user.

my own experience… my first CIEM was the A12t, it used to give me huge headaches on the beginning and I was always moving it around to find a good fit, it had a pressure point on my left ear, right were you are having it. From nothing, after a couple weeks it was perfect, would completely forget it was in my ears for multiple hours straight. Today, the 64a feels the loosest of all 3 I have. To the point that I sometimes don’t like the seal. LX is to tight and Layla is the perfect balance. All 3 were made with the same ear impressions.
Good to know! Part of me is so used to universals that when things fit too well, there's a part of me that feels like I must have lost the seal. Hopefully though like you, I will adapt to the fit. Getting a refit wouldnt be the end of the world if I need it, but that would be yet another wait, and I am definitely not patient.
I thought my Laylas were snug but the Jolenes really fill every nook and cranny. I also noticed enough pressure in my right crux of helix that over time would likely wear on me. Easy enough to fix if it bothers you. I had to send mine back anyway so asked them to fix that at the same time.
Yea I know they will take care of it if I need to, though I would certainly prefer not to send them back if I don't have to. And since I know I'm supposed to give myself a week or two to adjust, I am planning to do that before making any decisions about whether I need the fit tweaked.

May 4, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #606 of 1,253

- Not the most exciting unboxing experience for those who care. Simple little black box with a small cardboard sleeve with my name on it. Inside was some foam holding the small screwdriver to adjust bass, a cleaning tool, and the carbon fiber case, with the IEM inside a little microfiber pouch inside. Its not bad by any stretch, just dont be expecting anything amazing here like the sony ier z1r. Its simple and gets the job done, and I know for me, once I unbox something, I really dont care much about the box itself.

- I got the hyper black jolene signature style. Its kind of hard to tell from marketing materials, but the hyper black is solid black resin with a silvery/glittery swirl. Its nice, but I wasnt quite sure what the material was going to be from the photos. The whole IEM is actually quite a bit lighter than I was expecting. The video makes the faceplate seem like it has a little more depth than it does. There is definitely depth between the umm flying girl (or whatever its called) and the background, but its pretty flat other than the difference between the logo and the "background". But overall its a nice design and I am happy with it.

Slight discomfort or pressure in certain areas is very common if this is your first time with customs. As you get used to them (and as you get better at inserting them), those pains will generally go away. With the Jolene's specifically, I can sometimes experience pressure in the same area you're describing when I insert the IEMs without opening my mouth beforehand. Maybe that'll help with your case too.

EDIT: You could also try twisting them in your ear slightly either clockwise or anti-clockwise. Sometimes, discomfort (especially with bigger customs) can come from them not being twisted all the way in. Avoid pulling and pushing when you're trying to adjust the fit. Twisting is the motion to go.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #607 of 1,253

If it's any help I get some discomfort on my A12t and A18S if I don't use them over a few weeks - takes me a few days to fully readjust - normally they're perfectly comfortable though

May 4, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #608 of 1,253
Slight discomfort or pressure in certain areas is very common if this is your first time with customs. As you get used to them (and as you get better at inserting them), those pains will generally go away. With the Jolene's specifically, I can sometimes experience pressure in the same area you're describing when I insert the IEMs without opening my mouth beforehand. Maybe that'll help with your case too.

EDIT: You could also try twisting them in your ear slightly either clockwise or anti-clockwise. Sometimes, discomfort (especially with bigger customs) can come from them not being twisted all the way in. Avoid pulling and pushing when you're trying to adjust the fit. Twisting is the motion to go.

If it's any help I get some discomfort on my A12t and A18S if I don't use them over a few weeks - takes me a few days to fully readjust - normally they're perfectly comfortable though
Thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully it won't be an issue once I get more used to them!

May 10, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #609 of 1,253
Would definitely like to hear your thoughts on your Jolene vs Nio once you’ve had more time to compare! I think one of those 2 sets will be my next purchase!

May 10, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #610 of 1,253
Would definitely like to hear your thoughts on your Jolene vs Nio once you’ve had more time to compare! I think one of those 2 sets will be my next purchase!
I havent actually at down and done a real comparison yet as most of my head time since I received the Jolene last week has been with the Jolene. But I'll put together some of my thoughts so far anyways.

Keep in mind here that both sets are tuneable, the Jolene via the bass pod, and the nio via apex modules. I have been listening to the Jolene with 100% on the pod (about 5 o'clock on the dial), and the nio with the fir O module. I also might need some refits on the Jolene as I get ever so slightly different seals/pressure levels between them, though I am not sure if that affects how I hear them at all. It still fully seals though.

Basically, get the Jolene if you want a flatter more even/neutral type of sound (with a bit of bass boost focused more on subbass) and get the nio if you want a warmer, more full bodied, and colored type of sound.

The nio by default (m15) is bassier than the Jolene. It's actually quite a bassy signature. The focus there is definitely more midbass, so it's got more of a thump than the Jolene. And that bass boost extends up into the mids, giving them a bit more of a full bodied sound. Treble on the nio has a bit of an interesting quality. Probably a bit airier with an interesting almost reverb compared to the Jolene, likely due to the tia driver and how treble dips and then rebounds after 10khz. Jolene is really just more flat and even.

The way I kind of look at it is that the Jolene is kind of boring. But I mean that in the best possible way. Other than the extra oomph in the bass (which can be tuned down if desired), it doesn't really seem to add a lot of extra color to the sound. It kind of gets out of the way and just let's the music do it's thing. It's very easy to get lost in music, and to me that's great.

Soundstage is something I don't put a lot of stock into with iems since most since end up sounding in your head anyways, but to compare the two... The nio has ever so slightly more depth and height while the Jolene has noticeably more width. The nio is almost like a little bubble in your head, while the Jolene is quite wide, to the point that I notice a lot more how instruments are panned and often not balanced between left and right and I have had a number of times where certain sounds/effects in songs have definitely tricked my brain into thinking I heard something decidedly out of head that didn't come from the recording. There's a distinct center image that is very in my head, but with a lot of added width.

At the moment I would likely choose the Jolene over the nio, but it's also possible that I have a bit of new toy syndrome and am just enjoying having customs for the first time. I also always preferred warmer and bassier. The Jolene really isn't that, but I still connect with it quite a lot. Can't go wrong with either.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #612 of 1,253
Yea definitely a little odd, for a couple reasons.

The first main one is that I have just had trouble getting a really comfortable fit with pretty much all bigger iems I have tried. Even when I dabbled into custom tips last summer. So having something made for my ears specifically that actually fits and causes no pressure points... Yea, it's a little strange. There is a little bit of pressure on my ears, but I'm pretty sure that's completely normal and I'll get used to it very quickly.

The other reason is that I think it's going to likely be a bit of an exit for me from the hobby. With unis I could always sell them on and justify the loss as the cost of trying things out. Don't think that's likely the case here (not that I have any intention of selling anyways). And while I could afford to keep playing at this level, I dont think it's really the best or smartest use of my money, I'm not exactly rolling in it.

So yea, strange, but I think I'm going to pretty happy with the setup I have now.
How does the Jolene pair with your Cayin N6II? Tuesday I placed my order for some completely transparent Jolene's and cannot wait to get them. I vouched for the balanced 2.5mm cable, but i have a converter to 3.5mm unbalanced to use on my current dac, but am now on the search for a quality dap. Any recommendations for good pairings with the Jolene guys? What dac chips seem to make it shine?

May 15, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #614 of 1,253
@mashuto on the custom pressure point/discomfort - in my experience with silicone customs - which may not be the same with acrylic - if you experience ANY discomfort - just get them remade.

it's a pita I know but if you have to swap iems because of discomfort after a long (>3 hrs) listening session - you'll wish you bought universals...

custom is out for me now because I had a set remade 3 times for me and when they finally got it right (3rd time) the connection on one side failed within the warranty period and they had to remake them for me a 4th time.

Initially the 4th pair felt great but I could tell there was going to be a problem with long listening.

I was just so ground down by the whole process I didn't send them back and now after 3 hrs or so I have to swap them out.

Fortunately I have universals that are streets ahead of them now; but you cannot beat the isolation ...

May 15, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #615 of 1,253
How does the Jolene pair with your Cayin N6II? Tuesday I placed my order for some completely transparent Jolene's and cannot wait to get them. I vouched for the balanced 2.5mm cable, but i have a converter to 3.5mm unbalanced to use on my current dac, but am now on the search for a quality dap. Any recommendations for good pairings with the Jolene guys? What dac chips seem to make it shine?
I think it's a fine pairing. But I am definitely not the right person to talk about source synergy in part because I dont hear tons of difference and in part because I just don't have anything to compare with. The E01 sounds nice. Very smooth. I tried with the A01 (single ended) and it was a bit warmer, but also nice. Thinking about getting the R01.
@mashuto on the custom pressure point/discomfort - in my experience with silicone customs - which may not be the same with acrylic - if you experience ANY discomfort - just get them remade.

it's a pita I know but if you have to swap iems because of discomfort after a long (>3 hrs) listening session - you'll wish you bought universals...

custom is out for me now because I had a set remade 3 times for me and when they finally got it right (3rd time) the connection on one side failed within the warranty period and they had to remake them for me a 4th time.

Initially the 4th pair felt great but I could tell there was going to be a problem with long listening.

I was just so ground down by the whole process I didn't send them back and now after 3 hrs or so I have to swap them out.

Fortunately I have universals that are streets ahead of them now; but you cannot beat the isolation ...
They recommended giving them two weeks, so I have, but I am almost certain I will be sending them back for adjustments early this coming week. Part of my "concern" is that I might be overcorrecting things that may not need to be corrected, which may cause more issues.

The pressure point I was feeling has actually gotten a bit better since I first got them. It's on the helix portion I believe. However, the right side still seals fine, but I can tell it's not quite as strong of a seal as the left. Pretty sure that's just how the impressions were. I definitely remember like hearing some pressure "equalizing" on the right while the left felt more pressurized. And it kind of reflects. So I'm almost wondering if taking care of that will solve the other pressure point as maybe it's only causing the pressure point because it's slightly looser than it should be, causing the iem to rest more on a spot it shouldn't be.

Either way though I have been in contact with them. And will almost certainly be sending them back. I just find myself wondering whether or not I am making a bigger deal out of something than I should...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back