RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Apr 24, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #2,011 of 3,674
May 3, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #2,013 of 3,674
Effect Audio EVO1... The return of EA?

Disclaimer: the EVO1 is technically speaking a review unit - EA contacted me and offered a chunky discount in exchange for an honest review. While the review is entirely honest, I have gone into additional detail and taken more/better photos in order to "compensate" EA.

I have pretty openly mixed (read: negative) feelings about some of EA's more recent releases. The whole Horus Octa, Horus X, Horus Mumbo Jumbo etc etc all feel a little... uninspired? Unoriginal? I've owned the Bespoke Leo/Cleo, the Cleo Octa, the Leo II, and I actually have an OG Leo here with me as well - I find all of these to be exceptional in their own way, and also what gives EA its name (in my ever so humble opinion)

The EVO1, to me, is a return to that fresh, original feel of EA's cables. It has all the components of a self-standing release that is able to speak for itself, in terms of build quality, design language and sound. Not only that, it is actually priced adequately and competitively, and especially in the right pairings you're getting pretty good value out of it.

The cable

I've always been of the belief that cables are in the general category of "audiophile accessories" - while I do personally hear differences between cables, the difference in sound alone do not justify their price tags, so I always expect an extremely high level of build quality, with some improvements on sound to back that up with. The EVO1 does very, very well in that respect, and to me, does great for the money

The packaging of the EVO1 is basic but pretty nice - you get the cable, as well as the swappable splitter modules - I actually really like the cable's splitter naked best. From a comfort/ergonomics perspective, I found that the little modules slide off a little too easily, so I end up concerned about them, and from an aesthetics PoV, I feel like the slimmer, cleaner look of the split gives the cable even better visual continuity

Photo for proof :wink:

IMG-4387.jpg

I also really like what EA have done with the exposed wire - I think I've only seen DITA do it before on a cable, but having the split as a sort of "trophy case" looks slick

My version of the EVO1 has the ConX, but I mostly picked that because I find the ConX barrels are the nicest EA have offered so far. I currently don't have any MMCX IEMs that I'm using on the daily, so I haven't really hard a reason to give the other terminations a try

IMG-4388.jpg

The wire itself is also very nice and supple - AFAIK black sheathing is naturally stiffer due to the pigment, but EA seem to have gone around that by going for a thicker wire which is plenty supple. No microphonics to report either. All around, very pleasant and hassle-free where use is concerned

So how does it sound

As I mentioned earlier, the differences I hear between cables are generally pretty subtle. In that sense, what I am describing is a slight "exaggeration" of the actual differences you might be experiencing. My A18S is currently with JH for scanning, so I've mostly done the listening based on the A12t, with some time spent with the Thummim as well.

The EVO1 is a very, very intense and fun sounding cable. It is definitely up there with the cables that have had the most pronounced coloration to my ears, slapping what I'd almost call a "filter" on the IEMs. It boost both the midrange and the bass, bringing things closer to you, giving them warmth, weight and texture. It has an extremely engaging presentation (I'd actually say too much so), and in some ways actually reminds me of the LP W2 and what that does to IEMs

On the technical front, it adds some detail as a result of the forwardness, but comes at the expense of staging perception (note I'm specifically mentioning perception) and separation. The A12t is what I'd personally consider "reference" for dynamics, and the EVO1 does not negatively impact them. The added bass and mids naturally squeeze the stage and make it come across as more intimate, and the additional texture and thickness costs the IEMs some texture

The trouble is, I currently don't really own any IEMs that I'd consider to be thinner and leaner - I can imagine the EVO1 would be an absolutely exceptional match for both the U/A18t as well as the Andromeda 2020 (both IEMs I hold in extremely high regard), since they have so much technical ability to spare, adding some engagement and excitement at the cost of some techical ability is actually a pretty good trade-off.

The verdict

Can I recommend the EVO1? At 398$ I can't really not recommend it - it is really good value, comes with quality hardware, a unique split, and a supple wire. I'd say however that I'd only actively recommend it in pretty specific pairings, or if you generally enjoy an intense, fun and forward signature. It's not my favourite cable in terms of sound, but it is one of the nicer cables I've received in terms of build quality.

IMG-4386.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-4386.jpg
    IMG-4386.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
May 3, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #2,014 of 3,674

Disclaimer: the EVO1 is technically speaking a review unit - EA contacted me and offered a chunky discount in exchange for an honest review. While the review is entirely honest, I have gone into additional detail and taken more/better photos in order to "compensate" EA.

I have pretty openly mixed (read: negative) feelings about some of EA's more recent releases. The whole Horus Octa, Horus X, Horus Mumbo Jumbo etc etc all feel a little... uninspired? Unoriginal? I've owned the Bespoke Leo/Cleo, the Cleo Octa, the Leo II, and I actually have an OG Leo here with me as well - I find all of these to be exceptional in their own way, and also what gives EA its name (in my ever so humble opinion)

The EVO1, to me, is a return to that fresh, original feel of EA's cables. It has all the components of a self-standing release that is able to speak for itself, in terms of build quality, design language and sound. Not only that, it is actually priced adequately and competitively, and especially in the right pairings you're getting pretty good value out of it.

The cable

I've always been of the belief that cables are in the general category of "audiophile accessories" - while I do personally hear differences between cables, the difference in sound alone do not justify their price tags, so I always expect an extremely high level of build quality, with some improvements on sound to back that up with. The EVO1 does very, very well in that respect, and to me, does great for the money

The packaging of the EVO1 is basic but pretty nice - you get the cable, as well as the swappable splitter modules - I actually really like the cable's splitter naked best. From a comfort/ergonomics perspective, I found that the little modules slide off a little too easily, so I end up concerned about them, and from an aesthetics PoV, I feel like the slimmer, cleaner look of the split gives the cable even better visual continuity

IMG-4387.jpg

I also really like what EA have done with the exposed wire - I think I've only seen DITA do it before on a cable, but having the split as a sort of "trophy case" looks slick

My version of the EVO1 has the ConX, but I mostly picked that because I find the ConX barrels are the nicest EA have offered so far. I currently don't have any MMCX IEMs that I'm using on the daily, so I haven't really hard a reason to give the other terminations a try

IMG-4388.jpg

The wire itself is also very nice and supple - AFAIK black sheathing is naturally stiffer due to the pigment, but EA seem to have gone around that by going for a thicker wire which is plenty supple. No microphonics to report either. All around, very pleasant and hassle-free where use is concerned

So how does it sound

As I mentioned earlier, the differences I hear between cables are generally pretty subtle. In that sense, what I am describing is a slight "exaggeration" of the actual differences you might be experiencing. My A18S is currently with JH for scanning, so I've mostly done the listening based on the A12t, with some time spent with the Thummim as well.

The EVO1 is a very, very intense and fun sounding cable. It is definitely up there with the cables that have had the most pronounced coloration to my ears, slapping what I'd almost call a "filter" on the IEMs. It boost both the midrange and the bass, bringing things closer to you, giving them warmth, weight and texture. It has an extremely engaging presentation (I'd actually say too much so), and in some ways actually reminds me of the LP W2 and what that does to IEMs

On the technical front, it adds some detail as a result of the forwardness, but comes at the expense of staging perception (note I'm specifically mentioning perception) and separation. The A12t is what I'd personally consider "reference" for dynamics, and the EVO1 does not negatively impact them. The added bass and mids naturally squeeze the stage and make it come across as more intimate, and the additional texture and thickness costs the IEMs some texture

The trouble is, I currently don't really own any IEMs that I'd consider to be thinner and leaner - I can imagine the EVO1 would be an absolutely exceptional match for both the U/A18t as well as the Andromeda 2020 (both IEMs I hold in extremely high regard), since they have so much technical ability to spare, adding some engagement and excitement at the cost of some techical ability is actually a pretty good trade-off.

The verdict

Can I recommend the EVO1? At 398$ I can't really not recommend it - it is really good value, comes with quality hardware, a unique split, and a supple wire. I'd say however that I'd only actively recommend it in pretty specific pairings, or if you generally enjoy an intense, fun and forward signature. It's not my favourite cable in terms of sound, but it is one of the nicer cables I've received in terms of build quality.

IMG-4386.jpg
Great impressions man. Love the look of the naked splitter too. And glad to hear that it’s soft/supple. I automatically assumed that it being black would’ve been the opposite. Nice one EA :)

May 3, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #2,015 of 3,674
Yeah, the naked splitter does look neat!

May 3, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #2,016 of 3,674
I've got one coming and I do have an Andro 2020 so looking forward :smile_phones:

May 3, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #2,017 of 3,674

The cable

So how does it sound

The verdict

Nicely written review. Like the no nonsense approach.

Chin slider? I wish all cables you could just remove them, I find the ergonomics to be a disaster on the Code 51 cable’s slider, and the slider that comes on the Traillii’s cable so large that it makes packing in tight spaces challenging.

The only IEM I have based on what you wrote that I could consider this cable for is the U12T than again I would not wish a trade off on space. I am using the cable that comes with the Sultan right now, which is nice, and around the same price if I recollect correctly.

Three of the other sets I have I would not want to bring up more bass, the fourth the Elysium I have Code 51 which I find necessary to bring down the slight fatigue I was getting from the treble, no reason to change that, it works.

Nice read.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #2,019 of 3,674
I've got one coming and I do have an Andro 2020 so looking forward :smile_phones:
Let me know how they pair! I reckon it should be a pretty good one

Nicely written review. Like the no nonsense approach.

Chin slider? I wish all cables you could just remove them, I find the ergonomics to be a disaster on the Code 51 cable’s slider, and the slider that comes on the Traillii’s cable so large that it makes packing in tight spaces challenging.

The only IEM I have based on what you wrote that I could consider this cable for is the U12T than again I would not wish a trade off on space. I am using the cable that comes with the Sultan right now, which is nice, and around the same price if I recollect correctly.

Three of the other sets I have I would not want to bring up more bass, the fourth the Elysium I have Code 51 which I find necessary to bring down the slight fatigue I was getting from the treble, no reason to change that, it works.

Nice read.
Yeah I’ve also never used a chin slider in any way or form, it is completely useless to me. I’m not sure if I’d recommend it for the U/A12t specifically, I find it already balances technical ability and engagement really well - I personally prefer it with more “neutral” cables, like the Leo II, Plato, or the 8w silver @doctorjuggles made me

May 3, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #2,020 of 3,674
Let me know how they pair! I reckon it should be a pretty good one

Yeah I’ve also never used a chin slider in any way or form, it is completely useless to me. I’m not sure if I’d recommend it for the U/A12t specifically, I find it already balances technical ability and engagement really well - I personally prefer it with more “neutral” cables, like the Leo II, Plato, or the 8w silver @doctorjuggles made me

Isn't EVO1 chin slider retractable, just like in EVO10? So it hides nicely if you don't want to use it :) I reviewed EVO10 recently, reminds me a lot of Socrates. Gotta agree, Y-Split looks cool naked in EVO10 as well.

ea-evo10-09.jpg ea-evo10-12.jpg

May 3, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #2,021 of 3,674
Isn't EVO1 chin slider retractable, just like in EVO10? So it hides nicely if you don't want to use it :) I reviewed EVO10 recently, reminds me a lot of Socrates. Gotta agree, Y-Split looks cool naked in EVO10 as well.

Oh you’re right about that, I actually hadn’t realized that part is detachable! Pretty elegant solution

May 3, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #2,022 of 3,674
Yeah I’ve also never used a chin slider in any way or form, it is completely useless to me.
So, in other words, chin sliders are the 'mustard' of cable accessories?!

May 3, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #2,023 of 3,674

so it's not really a slider? just a fixed-position casing? Weird that they would interrupt the cable's geometry to place the conductors sort of parallel vs wtwisted inside it. Just my 2 cents-ironic thet they are not twisted, given who is posting these pix....

May 3, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #2,024 of 3,674
So, in other words, chin sliders are the 'mustard' of cable accessories?!
hmmm I don’t really mind the chin sliders.. I’d never ask for one but it doesn’t tick me off having one

Paracord is the mustard of cables for me - I walk my dog every day while wearing IEMs and that’s my one dedicated listening session so having it ruined by microphonics means a cable is going up for sale as soon as I get home lol

May 3, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #2,025 of 3,674
Been really diggin the used Odins I got middle of last week. Using the supplied cable and wider bore tips - they are spectacular! I have a very sharp first bend in my ear canals, and am old - so maybe Odin looks out for the aging bnoomers... In any case - I love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back