RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Apr 20, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #1,996 of 3,674
Big post alert!

I've kinda been listening to all kinds of setups and dongles and IEMs and whatnot, so this is more of a ramble post to clear the review queue - next week should be a fun one, got the Roxanne AION on Friday, and the Jolene as well as the JIMI AION should be here in the following couple of days. Went on a bit of a JH hype train after hearing the Roxanne for the first time, the tuning really clicks with me, but more on that later Anyhow, let us begin!

1. The mustard analogy, courtesy of @fzman

"I think there are multiple factors that impact ones taste and preferences. For example, I hate mustard, so there is no good, better, best for me with respect to mustards- the only best is NONE, thank you very much. I've often been told (in restaurants)- "oh, we only put a little bit in,and we use good mustard-you won't be able to even tell it's in there." NOPE! WRONG! There's nothing wrong with mustard, I just don't like it. Nor can I explain, in any rational way, why i don't--it's not like I was attacked by mustard as a child. So, to offer a horrifyingly mixed metaphor-if an iem or component has a strong, a la Photoshop, "mustard filter", I won't like it."

There's a lot of mustard in this post

2. Lotoo PAW6000 vs LPGT/P6 Pro

The PAW6000 is now comfortably my most recommended DAP, as long as you're powering IEMs and don't care about streaming. It's mostly neutral, with a hint of warmth in the lows - honestly if I wasn't comparing it to the LPGT, I'd go as far as saying it's pretty much an entirely neutral DAP. The bass enjoys a pretty natural decay on it too, which I consider to be a distinct advantage over the LPGT, while the treble isn't quite as detailed but is still to my ears top tier. Lovely staging, detail, dynamics - honestly don't have a bad word to say about the PAW. It also gives IEMs a lot of "creative freedom" - it doesn't really impose its own signature on them, and remains a great reference if you want to get a good idea of what they were tuned like.

On PAW6000 vs P6 Pro - gotta address the elephant in the room, the UI is absolutely incomparably better on the Lotoo. While both DAPs have a pretty minimalistic interface, the PAW is so much more refined, easy and pleasant to use. I haven't encountered a single bug or quirk on the PAW, while the P6 Pro was a bit of a disaster in that respect. Ever since I received the PAW my listening time went up significantly for the simple reason that it just isn't a burden to use

On sound, I actually wouldn't say I flat out prefer the P6 Pro. In the pairings where the P6 Pro works, it is unmatched on texture, dynamics and staging - the Thummim and Gae Bolg were IEMs that I especially enjoyed on it, while the A18S and A12t sounded simply way too dark, to the point where you'd lose most of the detail despite the excellent dynamics. I suppose if your collection is comprised of mostly brighter IEMs the P6 would do quite well, but too much of my time is tied up with the A12t and A18S to justify a 3800$ DAP that doesn't work with them. Also, I generally feel like the asking price is just too high for a DAP with UI this bad.

3. LP W2 vs PAW S1

The TLDR here is that I reaaaally don't love the W2. It's not just the midrange forwardness of the W2 that I don't like, but above all just how generic it sounds. Both the PAW S1 and the W2 are to me two different interpretations of neutral, where the PAW S1 leans towards a slightly more analytical neutral, while the W2 leans more towards a natural neutral. The PAW S1 is more linear, with a little less bass, a little less upper mids and a fair bit more upper treble. The W2 has excellent bass texture, but the midrange presentation on it is to me way overdone in terms of both coloration and quantity - vocals on it end up taking up just way too much space and sounding a little too intimate.

While you could say that just about any neutral-ish source can come across as generic, the difference between the W2 and the PAW S1 is that the W2 "enforces" its own signature on the IEMs much more so than the PAW S1. Listening to the A12t, Roxanne and Thummim, I can spot the W2s tonality much more clearly than I can that of the PAW S1.

On the other hand, we're talking about a 300$ piece of gear, which in the current market is like... pocket change. If you're looking to bring the sound a little closer to you, make it somewhat more intimate, natural and warmer, then by all means - the W2 is a great option. It's also built very well, and the volume control is nicer than that of the PAW S1. The W2 can serve as a great "band aid"-like solution if you committed to a set of IEMs but aren't loving those specific things about them.

My "universal" dongle recommendation remains the Lotoo however

4. Empire Ears Odin.. Part 2

Oh man what a shitshow that was lol. Now that everyone's calmed down and people have actually posted some impressions consistent with mine let's revisit the Odin

My usual testing phase of an IEM consists of me taking my DAP, pressing shuffle play and seeing how the IEMs do with just about anything I listen to. In general, at the prices that the industry is asking for, to justify owning/keeping any IEM, I need it to be able to play anything and everything. I 100% cannot do that with the Odin, so in this round of testing what I did instead was to specifically select songs with either chesty male vocals situated predominantly in the lower mids, or songs with female vocals that never really get too loud or high. No EDM, no pop, no rap, a little rock - nothing that runs even a little hot

The idea behind that was to sort of "correct" for my own bias/preferences and evaluate it in situations where it doesn't do the things that would immediately disqualify it for me

Honestly I'm not sure if the experiment was successful or appropriate in the sense that the Odin's upper mids are such an integral part of its character, evaluating it without those is like evaluating a Legend X on tracks that have little to no bass. Oh well

Anyhow, my findings were decently consistent even on tracks where the Odin isn't too bright. It is an extremely clean sounding monitor, with deep and very well textured bass response, pretty lean (and somewhat thin) mids, and a decently forward treble response with good extension. I could use a little more bass and a little more upper treble, but that's more about my personal preference than it is about me finding that the IEM is lacking. The staging on it is okay, the depth is great, but I could reaaaally use some more width. The Odin's staging feels a little similar to the Elysium's actually - it stretches a little more, but isn't really amongst the IEMs with larger staging

Detail retrieval is excellent, goes without saying - a large part of that is due to the tuning, but the Odin also sports excellent dynamics.

All in all though, there is one thing about the Odin that to me is an "objective" issue, or rather goes beyond it simply being an IEM that isn't suited for my tastes. That being, the mismatch between the bass and the midrange. The Odin has this slightly slow, satisfying, deep and textured bass response - one of the most DD-like bass responses, the W9 drivers have always been a bit of a reference for bass quality - paired with a cold, reference, pure BA-like midrange. I think I'd appreciate the Odin more if it A) went full BA/estat and had a tight, punchy and clean bass to match the midrange or B) kept it's dual W9+, and paired it with a midrange similar to that of the Phantom, going for a thicker tuning throughout the whole spectrum, from bass to treble

Before anyone gets all offended, it's worth noting that none of my time is spent listening to mid-forward or mid-centric IEMs and I'm most certainly not a reviewer that should be taken as sort of authority on mid-forward IEMs. Closest I had to one is the Gae Bolg, which is a pleasant and warm-ish EDC, but it's midrange was too warm and lush for my liking so it ended up getting moved on too.

5. Next up!

- EA EVO1
- JH Roxanne AION, JIMI AION and woop woop, the Jolene! Maybe a Layla?
Looking forward for your review of the Jh audio iems because I love this brand and I personally own the Jh audio Roxanne performance series, Layla Titanium version and the Lola. Since you are a person that had the chance to try most of the other flagship iems I am curious about how they fare. From the iems that I tried I like the sound of the Roxanne the most out of the Acoustic research ar-m2 dap that has a great synergy with the Roxanne and it transforms the headphones in a best way

Apr 20, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #1,997 of 3,674
I saw the notification and did a fist pump Michael. Of course I immediately went to look for some Honey mustard :p

The Paw6k is a an impressive little power house. For an in-house OS not done by Sony it's faster and just as clean (with some minor niggles) than the other Chinese OEMs have been pumping out, android customization and what not. Battery life off balanced is solid given and technically impressive. I've eventually traded back to the 1A because of my battery life requirements, but granted the almost instant on boot time and 15 hours combination is a killer in the price segment. I've considered getting a second one as an alternate to my 1A myself. It's also a good recommendation for those who want to give Lotoo a try without breaking the bank.

For the W2, it seems be a more minimal opinion, but your point on the forwardness of the mids has been brought up. And given your preferences for that area, I can definitely see the S1 taking the crown. I've been sitting on the fence trying to decide between the S1 and W2 as a dongle for my laptop as I've been using that more than my desktop as of late. Definitely welcomed your thoughts in this consideration

For all your dislike of the Odin's signature, I have to give you kudos for giving it another try AND trying to unbias it as much as possible from a normal review way. At the end of the day, it's not your cup of tea and you've given more than ample context as to why. It's way more than sufficient to prove that you're not just hating on the Odin or whatever else the more hardcore segment of Odin owners have leveled against your impressions. It just stinks that the tuning is the antithesis of your preferences as much as it's almost perfection for me. I would be surprised if you didn't like JH since our preferences should be the exact opposite in relation to Odin.

Apr 20, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #1,998 of 3,674
Just like Ochaaraku sells his iem at a tea shop, I think we should open a suhi restaurant and sell portable audio there. Our first food item can be the HIssing Mustard Roll" !

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #1,999 of 3,674
I saw the notification and did a fist pump Michael. Of course I immediately went to look for some Honey mustard :p

The Paw6k is a an impressive little power house. For an in-house OS not done by Sony it's faster and just as clean (with some minor niggles) than the other Chinese OEMs have been pumping out, android customization and what not. Battery life off balanced is solid given and technically impressive. I've eventually traded back to the 1A because of my battery life requirements, but granted the almost instant on boot time and 15 hours combination is a killer in the price segment. I've considered getting a second one as an alternate to my 1A myself. It's also a good recommendation for those who want to give Lotoo a try without breaking the bank.

For the W2, it seems be a more minimal opinion, but your point on the forwardness of the mids has been brought up. And given your preferences for that area, I can definitely see the S1 taking the crown. I've been sitting on the fence trying to decide between the S1 and W2 as a dongle for my laptop as I've been using that more than my desktop as of late. Definitely welcomed your thoughts in this consideration

For all your dislike of the Odin's signature, I have to give you kudos for giving it another try AND trying to unbias it as much as possible from a normal review way. At the end of the day, it's not your cup of tea and you've given more than ample context as to why. It's way more than sufficient to prove that you're not just hating on the Odin or whatever else the more hardcore segment of Odin owners have leveled against your impressions. It just stinks that the tuning is the antithesis of your preferences as much as it's almost perfection for me. I would be surprised if you didn't like JH since our preferences should be the exact opposite in relation to Odin.
Tonality aside, the reason why I'd recommend the PAW S1 over the W2 is that you already have IEMs that you know you love as they are - the only time I'd recommend the W2 over it is if you're specifically looking to actively "filter" the sound of your IEMs. I also really didn't like what it did to the A12t, made it a little muddy and middy

The Odin... I had no idea what to expect while waiting for it last week. I knew I'd be moving it on, I got it from a trade, but it was a good opportunity to get in another set of impressions either way. The thing is, since last summer (when I last listened to the Odin), my preferences kinda moved towards a much colder sound overall - my current "optimal" preference is a mild V or U shape with especially cold mids, so I was much more predisposed to enjoying the Odin this time around - and I also disliked it much less

Of the JHs, I received the Roxanne on Friday and I haven't put it down since, absolutely in love with this monitor. I wonder if the Jolene is a sort of Roxanne 2.0, some of the reviews seem to be consistent with that... I spoke to them on Monday and they're still trying to get that faceplate right, the struggle is real apparently haha

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #2,000 of 3,674
D06B4473-F331-4DF1-9CA2-0B7B226574E9.jpeg

Big oof

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #2,002 of 3,674
Man those things are gorgeous. While I love the understated look of the ones on the right, the colour and pop of wood and gold are very enticing.

Are those Jolene unis?
Left is JIMI, right is Roxanne, both AIONs :)

Looking to get my hands on a Layla AION too but it’s proving to be a little elusive haha. The Jolene hoooopefully ships out today or tomorrow!

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,003 of 3,674
Left is JIMI, right is Roxanne, both AIONs :)

Looking to get my hands on a Layla AION too but it’s proving to be a little elusive haha. The Jolene hoooopefully ships out today or tomorrow!
Can't wait to see your Jolene :) Man, those faceplates they have
There are many Layla AION units in stock here, both new and used. Let me know if you need help getting one
I heard the Roxanne AION today. And I think the Jolene might be even better. That bass woof

Apr 22, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #2,004 of 3,674
Can't wait to see your Jolene :) Man, those faceplates they have
There are many Layla AION units in stock here, both new and used. Let me know if you need help getting one
I heard the Roxanne AION today. And I think the Jolene might be even better. That bass woof
Message sent Head-Fi is unhealthy :D thanks in advance homes!

Apr 22, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #2,005 of 3,674
Apr 23, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #2,006 of 3,674

Wow! These are gorgeous!
The one on the right side is absolutely stunning! It makes me think about a mix between Daniel Simon design and a Harley Davidson’s gaz tank. In case you don’t know Daniel Simon (he’s an absolute reference for car designers), this guy is an ex VW car designer who, among others, participated in the design of the Bugatti Veyron and then shifted towards movie industry, where he designed all the vehicles in Tron Legacy, Oblivion and others... :)
Looking forward to seeing your Jolene, as well as your impressions on it!

cheers.

Apr 24, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #2,008 of 3,674
Big thanks to @hshock76, Layla AION procured! Complete JH shootout coming up in the following week or so!
You say complete Jh shootout, what iems are you going to review? I ask because I know Jh has many iems and I am sure that you are not going to review all of them. I can barely wait for your review. It would be nice that at the end of each iem to mention where do you see it in your ranking list/tier. Thank you for your time and effort to answer and review the Jh audio, I believe the Jh audio deserves to be back on the people interest because lately they are almost forgotten due to the hype of other brands

Apr 24, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #2,009 of 3,674
You say complete Jh shootout, what iems are you going to review? I ask because I know Jh has many iems and I am sure that you are not going to review all of them. I can barely wait for your review. It would be nice that at the end of each iem to mention where do you see it in your ranking list/tier. Thank you for your time and effort to answer and review the Jh audio, I believe the Jh audio deserves to be back on the people interest because lately they are almost forgotten due to the hype of other brands
I’m planning two review posts - one solely for the Jolene since that’s a newer and more hyped release, and one for the entire AION* series (should’ve specified that part haha) - that includes the Roxanne, JIMI, and Layla

I’ll add all of them to the ranking list as soon as I’ve heard them all and done my review listening!

Apr 24, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #2,010 of 3,674
I’m planning two review posts - one solely for the Jolene since that’s a newer and more hyped release, and one for the entire AION* series (should’ve specified that part haha) - that includes the Roxanne, JIMI, and Layla

I’ll add all of them to the ranking list as soon as I’ve heard them all and done my review listening!
Thank you for your reply. Can you please provide me a link to your ranking list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back