RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Apr 4, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #1,921 of 3,674
Exactly! Actually, neighbor's kid ran into Bruce a year ago at nearby gym (our local Jersey Strong gym), right before the pandemic started. But, anywho, don't want to hijack the thread :wink:

Reminds me, we used to play an unending loop of Frankie Valli to break prisoners at Gitmo.

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #1,922 of 3,674
Reminds me, we used to play an unending loop of Frankie Valli to break prisoners at Gitmo.
My 21 year old daughter loves him.
Over and over again though?

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #1,923 of 3,674
Exactly! Actually, neighbor's kid ran into Bruce a year ago at nearby gym (our local Jersey Strong gym), right before the pandemic started. But, anywho, don't want to hijack the thread :wink:
So, you 'Hi-Bruced' it instead.... lol

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #1,924 of 3,674
Just spent some time with the 2000cu driving the Sultan/OSLO cable combo. Wow!!!! The A&K controls the bass wonderfully, and takes great advantage of the resolution and neutrality of the Sultan.

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #1,925 of 3,674
Just spent some time with the 2000cu driving the Sultan/OSLO cable combo. Wow!!!! The A&K controls the bass wonderfully, and takes great advantage of the resolution and neutrality of the Sultan.
I also find my SP2000 SS pairs wonderfully with Sultan. Everything is just right and balanced, very much to my taste. Either W2 or C9 will introduce other sound signatures, making it less “perfect” to me.

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #1,926 of 3,674
Apr 4, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #1,927 of 3,674
My 21 year old daughter loves him.
Over and over again though?

Endless loop, at ear splitting volumes, “Big Girl’s Dont Cry, ” over and over again.

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #1,928 of 3,674
Endless loop, at ear splitting volumes, “Big Girl’s Dont Cry, ” over and over again.
Ouch,
A roommate in college Andrew used to torture us with Devo Just a Girl every morning at brain numbing volume levels. Went on for months, until one of my other roommates Gene, while playing, stacked his turn table, speakers and receiver in a pile and tossed it all out the window, ripping the plugs from the wall in one continuous movement. It crashed to the concrete below and broke into many pieces.
Enough was enough and we were all losing our sanity. Luckily no one was walking below.

Apr 4, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #1,929 of 3,674
Gene sounds some of the guys I played football with at Arizona.

Apr 5, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #1,930 of 3,674
Gene sounds some of the guys I played football with at Arizona.
Dormitory in NYC, old apartment building, three rooms 2 beds each, shared kitchen and bath. Andrew and Gene shared one of the rooms, it was much worse for Gene. The other 4 of us had our doors shut, it was so loud that really did not matter. There was something wrong with Andrew and Gene, now that I look back, they needed help. They both dropped out after 1 semester.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #1,931 of 3,674
PAW6000 and PAW S1 have landed!

Just turning on the PAW6k and I’m hit with this wave of relief of having returned to a stable, clean and fast UX....

Impressions soon!

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #1,932 of 3,674
PAW6000 and PAW S1 have landed!

Just turning on the PAW6k and I’m hit with this wave of relief of having returned to a stable, clean and fast UX....

Impressions soon!
Yesterday I was listening to this on PAW6K with Traillii it was good exercise for the chain. Lots of bass and treble action, over three hours of crazy fun.

AEF04C75-5BAD-4882-9D3D-3F5D6D93F695.jpeg

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #1,933 of 3,674
Yesterday I was listening to this on PAW6K with Traillii it was good exercise for the chain. Lots of bass and treble action, over three hours of crazy fun.

AEF04C75-5BAD-4882-9D3D-3F5D6D93F695.jpeg
That’s a great mix. RIP Weathers 😢

Apr 11, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #1,934 of 3,674
I suppose that 'bumping' this thread should really be called 'raz-urrection' ! Anywho... I received a shipment of the Aclustune tips, size L, of the 7 and 8 models. Liking the 7 better, btw. But it brings up a question about bass quantity and bore size. I thought i'd read somehwere that smaller bore gives more bass,which not only seems counterintuitive to me, but my ears tell me that they reduce it. Do my ears work wrong, or was the post I saw recently just wrong?

I also have just gotten the PW1960s double prong 4.4 adapter block for my SP2000cu, and it brings a small but noticable improvement with the Sultans, (used the OSLO cable and compared it straignt-in with its own 2.5mm tip, vs the adapter block using the OSLO's 4.4 tip. (Clever me!). Like the 4.4 better, and the block seems much more structurally secure/robust/safe.

Also just received a CrystalCable Double Duet cable and it is spectacular, even under a torture-test using the 2000cu and the Final A8000s with a pure silver cable-- granted I am old, but there was no grit, grain,glare or spikes of any kind, and the openess and natural tonality with very quick transients and excellent micro and macro dynamics offered a quite neutral but not dry presentation. I am using it now with some OE mmcx-2pin adapters on the Sultans, which even out and get more balanced than before. Really wanna get another one in native 2-pin format so I do not have to use adapters or swap out cables from iem to iem.

On that note - have you folks had better performance with mmcx or 2-pin, or is it even? I feel like i get more unintended disconnects with 2-pin than mmcxs....

Apr 11, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #1,935 of 3,674
I suppose that 'bumping' this thread should really be called 'raz-urrection' ! Anywho... I received a shipment of the Aclustune tips, size L, of the 7 and 8 models. Liking the 7 better, btw. But it brings up a question about bass quantity and bore size. I thought i'd read somehwere that smaller bore gives more bass,which not only seems counterintuitive to me, but my ears tell me that they reduce it. Do my ears work wrong, or was the post I saw recently just wrong?

I also have just gotten the PW1960s double prong 4.4 adapter block for my SP2000cu, and it brings a small but noticable improvement with the Sultans, (used the OSLO cable and compared it straignt-in with its own 2.5mm tip, vs the adapter block using the OSLO's 4.4 tip. (Clever me!). Like the 4.4 better, and the block seems much more structurally secure/robust/safe.

Also just received a CrystalCable Double Duet cable and it is spectacular, even under a torture-test using the 2000cu and the Final A8000s with a pure silver cable-- granted I am old, but there was no grit, grain,glare or spikes of any kind, and the openess and natural tonality with very quick transients and excellent micro and macro dynamics offered a quite neutral but not dry presentation. I am using it now with some OE mmcx-2pin adapters on the Sultans, which even out and get more balanced than before. Really wanna get another one in native 2-pin format so I do not have to use adapters or swap out cables from iem to iem.

On that note - have you folks had better performance with mmcx or 2-pin, or is it even? I feel like i get more unintended disconnects with 2-pin than mmcxs....
I was thinking that the smaller bore size of a tip attenuates the highs only, and by lowering the highs it would create an illusion of enhancing the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back