Rank the IEM's you've heard
Jan 3, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #3,676 of 5,136
Happy New Year guys!

Here's my inaugural IEM Rankings list for January 2022. I've stressed and strained over it for the past two weeks or so, tweaking here and there more than once, and I think it's solid enough now to share with the group. Big thank you to @Damz87 for generously sharing his template with me. I made some changes, notably adding three new columns: Build Quality, Fit and Enjoyment Factor. I was also going to add Accessories but figured I can always do that later on, although since I hardly used the stock accessories on many of these IEMs, that score would be a thumbsuck.

I think the biggest single change was Enjoyment Factor, mainly because I've given it a 25% weighting in the overall score, with the first 8 items combined making up the other 75%. I consider enjoyment more important than any other factor, because even though each score is necessarily my subjective opinion of how I hear (or feel about) that particular aspect of an IEM, I very often enjoy an IEM that scores less subjectively and objectively in many other areas more than I do IEMs that score much higher. That explains the list position of IEMs like the BLON BL-03 and Sony WF-1000XM4, for example, both of which I'd take with me on a roadtrip before any of the other 'more accomplished' IEMs lower down, and even some of those higher up.

As such, this list should be taken as only one data point (as all of these lists should be regarded anyway). It factors in many different intangibles that you can't see on the list, like my music choices, how I use my IEMs, my sound preferences, my listening volume, and my hearing health. I encourage you to use it as a guide only in relation to my specific preferences, and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have on this thread, or by PM.

I'll likely revisit the list only if and when I hear new IEMs that deserve to make my Top 20. I've heard many other IEMs, none of which I feel merit the time and effort it takes to include them on a ranking list, and again I'm happy to offer my opinion on those IEMs by PM should you want it.

PS. If you want short TD;DR summaries of the Top 5 or Top 10 IEMs on the list with an explainer on how I hear them and what I like/dislike about them, let me know and I'll put one together. Numerical scores are ultimately only useful as a grading system, and don't convey any real-world context.

IEM_Rankings_2201.jpg
Nice ranking list.

Jan 3, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #3,677 of 5,136
So, none of these IEMs get a 'fail' score in any dimension
I think that's a good point. Even seeing a 6 or 6.5 so high in the list makes me think whether they are enjoyable enough in those areas when listening, even though you'd probably focus on the best parts. But I could see people say if it scores that low on any measure it doesn't deserve to be in the top x. Like what if an IEM has the best bass ever but is only a 6 on all other measures? Ah! Wrong example for bassheads! :wink:

drftr

Jan 3, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #3,678 of 5,136
Happy New Year guys!

Here's my inaugural IEM Rankings list for January 2022. I've stressed and strained over it for the past two weeks or so, tweaking here and there more than once, and I think it's solid enough now to share with the group. Big thank you to @Damz87 for generously sharing his template with me. I made some changes, notably adding three new columns: Build Quality, Fit and Enjoyment Factor. I was also going to add Accessories but figured I can always do that later on, although since I hardly used the stock accessories on many of these IEMs, that score would be a thumbsuck.

I think the biggest single change was Enjoyment Factor, mainly because I've given it a 25% weighting in the overall score, with the first 8 items combined making up the other 75%. I consider enjoyment more important than any other factor, because even though each score is necessarily my subjective opinion of how I hear (or feel about) that particular aspect of an IEM, I very often enjoy an IEM that scores less subjectively and objectively in many other areas more than I do IEMs that score much higher. That explains the list position of IEMs like the BLON BL-03 and Sony WF-1000XM4, for example, both of which I'd take with me on a roadtrip before any of the other 'more accomplished' IEMs lower down, and even some of those higher up.

As such, this list should be taken as only one data point (as all of these lists should be regarded anyway). It factors in many different intangibles that you can't see on the list, like my music choices, how I use my IEMs, my sound preferences, my listening volume, and my hearing health. I encourage you to use it as a guide only in relation to my specific preferences, and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have on this thread, or by PM.

I'll likely revisit the list only if and when I hear new IEMs that deserve to make my Top 20. I've heard many other IEMs, none of which I feel merit the time and effort it takes to include them on a ranking list, and again I'm happy to offer my opinion on those IEMs by PM should you want it.

PS. If you want short TD;DR summaries of the Top 5 or Top 10 IEMs on the list with an explainer on how I hear them and what I like/dislike about them, let me know and I'll put one together. Numerical scores are ultimately only useful as a grading system, and don't convey any real-world context.

IEM_Rankings_2201.jpg
Thanks for all the time you put into this. It is always fun to look at these and have a visual of how others hear. :)

Jan 3, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #3,679 of 5,136
Very nice!

So, none of these IEMs get a 'fail' score in any dimension. I guess that is why they are the top 20.
I think it would be harsh to fail any of these IEM outright for something I consider below par. I could have gone in harder, subjectively, but on balance I think the scores are fair (and we have @Precogvision and @Damz87 as more ruthless scorers than me 😅). There's quite a distance between half points in my mind, so when an IEM scores a full point behind another, that's a substantial difference. I think if I felt any of these scored a 5 in a meaningful area, they wouldn't merit the list. Believe me there are many IEMs I've heard that would score 5 or less in some areas, even some IEMs people seem to like. Ultimately many would score IEMs like the BL-03 much lower in some technical areas, but I have to go with my ears, my gut, and how I personally feel about them.
I think that's a good point. Even seeing a 6 or 6.5 so high in the list makes me think whether they are enjoyable enough in those areas when listening, even though you'd probably focus on the best parts. But I could see people say if it scores that low on any measure it doesn't deserve to be in the top x. Like what if an IEM has the best bass ever but is only a 6 on all other measures? Ah! Wrong example for bassheads! :wink:

drftr
Fair point. But every IEM compromises in one or other area, especially if it doesn't click with your music or preferences. So while I appreciate what Andromeda is all about, for instance, I just feel the tuning is skewed away from what I like, the bass doesn't cut it for my type of music, but objectively thinking about it, it's actually a very good IEM for many people, so I think I scored it 'honestly' from my perspective and 'fairly' with as much objective context as possible. At the other end of the table, even great IEMs like EVO and Fourte, in my opinion, only really shine with certain types of music. In a way making the list and scoring it like I did was also a good way to hold a mirror up to some of my own biases and admit where IEMs I really enjoy with most of my music are fundamentally flawed.
Thanks for all the time you put into this. It is always fun to look at these and have a visual of how others hear. :)
My pleasure, that's what it's all about, and to encourage healthy debate.

Jan 8, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #3,681 of 5,136

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #3,682 of 5,136
Very nice!

So, none of these IEMs get a 'fail' score in any dimension. I guess that is why they are the top 20.
I thought your point was interesting. While I disagree with the order ( for me, the Traillii is the pick of this litter), and knowing a bit about how accurate in judgement @gLer can be, I think it goes to the current quality available in IEM’s. I would say just 5 years ago in a list of 20 there would be some very below average IEM’s. Today it is pretty easy to have a list of 20 that are all very good or better.

Of course the flip side is 5 years ago they might all be much less expensive.

Jan 9, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #3,683 of 5,136
I thought your point was interesting. While I disagree with the order ( for me, the Traillii is the pick of this litter), and knowing a bit about how accurate in judgement @gLer can be, I think it goes to the current quality available in IEM’s. I would say just 5 years ago in a list of 20 there would be some very below average IEM’s. Today it is pretty easy to have a list of 20 that are all very good or better.

I completely agree. It is not hard coming up with a top 20 IEM list where every single product is great. It's actually not that easy coming up with a top 5 like it is nearly impossible coming up with a top 5 NBA players of all time. Someone great gets left off who belongs there no matter what you do.

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #3,684 of 5,136
IER-M9 > Andromeda > Moondrop Blessing 2/Dusk (haven’t used live) > SE215 > ER4SR (not live) > IER-Z1R coming from a “tool” (mixing and monitoring live) aspect. Tried a custom Audio64 (A3E? I think) IEM about 5 years ago, but didn’t like that much plastic all in my ears, especially when I started to sweat. The Andromeda’s actually fit really tight to my head, but the condensation build up is pretty bad at times. The IER-M9 is great, wish they looked better, but at least they’re black!

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #3,685 of 5,136
IER-M9 > Andromeda > Moondrop Blessing 2/Dusk (haven’t used live) > SE215 > ER4SR (not live) > IER-Z1R coming from a “tool” (mixing and monitoring live) aspect. Tried a custom Audio64 (A3E? I think) IEM about 5 years ago, but didn’t like that much plastic all in my ears, especially when I started to sweat. The Andromeda’s actually fit really tight to my head, but the condensation build up is pretty bad at times. The IER-M9 is great, wish they looked better, but at least they’re black!
Hard to beat the IER-Z1R when it comes to looks. That gem stone design looks so cool...but that thing is a chonky boi!

Jan 9, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #3,686 of 5,136

I completely agree. It is not hard coming up with a top 20 IEM list where every single product is great. It's actually not that easy coming up with a top 5 like it is nearly impossible coming up with a top 5 NBA players of all time. Someone great gets left off who belongs there no matter what you do.
Agreed. To be fair, I'd say the order of the Top 4-5 IEMs in my list isn't universal in that some music will sound better on any one of them compared to the others, and really comes down to preferences. That's why I used a larger weighting for Enjoyment Factor; the flipside is that it makes the order quite specific to my tastes and music, more so than if I were to take a more 'objective' approach. Ultimately I don't think you can go wrong with any IEM on this list, hence no outright fails.

I also haven't yet heard some of the FOTM IEMs (and some more established high-end stars) like EXT, Phonix, Erlky, Odin, any of the MEST family, any of the FiR siblings, or a JH IEM, not to mention MMR and some of the more exotic Asian brands like Aroma or Rhapsodio. I have an idea of where some of these would rank, but now that I've pulled right back from actively pursuing new high-end IEMs nor have any interest in midrange IEMs for personal use, it's less likely I'll get to hear them short of flying halfway around the world to CanJam.

Jan 9, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #3,687 of 5,136
Agreed. To be fair, I'd say the order of the Top 4-5 IEMs in my list isn't universal in that some music will sound better on any one of them compared to the others, and really comes down to preferences. That's why I used a larger weighting for Enjoyment Factor; the flipside is that it makes the order quite specific to my tastes and music, more so than if I were to take a more 'objective' approach. Ultimately I don't think you can go wrong with any IEM on this list, hence no outright fails.

I also haven't yet heard some of the FOTM IEMs (and some more established high-end stars) like EXT, Phonix, Erlky, Odin, any of the MEST family, any of the FiR siblings, or a JH IEM, not to mention MMR and some of the more exotic Asian brands like Aroma or Rhapsodio. I have an idea of where some of these would rank, but now that I've pulled right back from actively pursuing new high-end IEMs nor have any interest in midrange IEMs for personal use, it's less likely I'll get to hear them short of flying halfway around the world to CanJam.
Since you can never ever rank IEMs for how other persons would be liking them, the best you can due is rank them for yourself based on your enjoyment factor and other measures like you feel is best for your own judgement. Others can use that list as a guide, but that only makes sense if they know your preferences, library, etcetera. Basically your list is saying Hey, if you have similar sonical preferences as me, and you listen to comparable music, and you value the measures the same way I do, then you may just have find an excellent reference point! But if none of these things apply then your list wouldn't be very helpful as a starting point. In the end only a list doesn't make sense for anyone without knowing where you are coming from. I got my quick reference guide from following you on the Watercooler thread but newbies may be helped with a quick Who Is accompanying any list published on this thread. Although efficiency may take the fun out of it... :wink:

drftr

Jan 9, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #3,688 of 5,136
Since you can never ever rank IEMs for how other persons would be liking them, the best you can due is rank them for yourself based on your enjoyment factor and other measures like you feel is best for your own judgement. Others can use that list as a guide, but that only makes sense if they know your preferences, library, etcetera. Basically your list is saying Hey, if you have similar sonical preferences as me, and you listen to comparable music, and you value the measures the same way I do, then you may just have find an excellent reference point! But if none of these things apply then your list wouldn't be very helpful as a starting point. In the end only a list doesn't make sense for anyone without knowing where you are coming from. I got my quick reference guide from following you on the Watercooler thread but newbies may be helped with a quick Who Is accompanying any list published on this thread. Although efficiency may take the fun out of it... :wink:

drftr
That's a very good idea, but would require a much longer post, and I don't think most people come to this thread for the context, mainly the...:popcorn:

Seriously though, happy to answer any questions by PM if it's of interest to anyone, otherwise I'm fairly active on several threads, so anyone committed enough to find out more about what I like, I shouldn't be too hard to find.

Jan 9, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #3,689 of 5,136
That's a very good idea, but would require a much longer post, and I don't think most people come to this thread for the context, mainly the...:popcorn:
No no, I totally agree. I'm mainly saying that staring at a ranking list of something subjective only makes sense if you know who's behind it and where he/she is coming from. Pretty sure we're on the same level here. The "important" part of my post was that if for some reason you decide to leave out any technical measures and for instance only go by the enjoyment factor that would still be of tremendous value for anyone who knows who you are (and why 😎). That's what I recently meant in our discussion with @Rockwell75 among others: Knowing how much he values being drawn into the music based on emotion I thought his enjoyment measure should possibly get a much higher weight. It's nice to have technical superb IEMs rank very high, but what if they don't make you drown into the music nearly as much as a $16 IEM? In the end the ranking list is from and for you, and others are allowed to peak at it to get some great ideas and to get to know you.

drftr

Jan 9, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #3,690 of 5,136

You are going to save yourself a ton of money and the enjoyment factor will probably be about the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back