Rank the IEM's you've heard
Jun 13, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #2,357 of 5,136
ISN D10 > Vsonic GR07 BE > BGVP DM6 > Brainwavz M3 > Brainwavz M5 > Sennheiser CX300-ii > Apple Airpods > Toneking Musicmaker TP16 > Nicehck Bro/BGVP SGZ DN1 > JBL J33 > Sennheiser CX200ii > Apple Earpods > KZ ZST > KZ ZS3 > Creative Ep-630

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #2,358 of 5,136
01.64 audio u18t (+details, +holo, - expensive)
02.64 audio u12t (+best all rounder, -expensive)
03.1670ss + cable upgrade (+++best tuning for me, stage width & height, +3d holo, -stage depth)
04.kse1500 (+details mids & treble, -bass, -extra baggage batt. pack, -expensive)
05.Andromeda 2019 (+stage depth, mids sep., -mids)
06.Rhapsodio Galaxy V2
07.ES3
08.W80
09.Intime Sora
10.AAW Q Canals

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #2,360 of 5,136
I'm a complete noob (about 3 weeks in) with IEMs but of the few I've owned:
  1. 64 Audio u12t
  2. Campfire Solaris OG
  3. Campfire Jupiter
Next on the list is to try some chi-fi IEMs (e.g. Mangird Tea) to see if they compete with the above for less £/$.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #2,361 of 5,136
I'm a complete noob (about 3 weeks in) with IEMs but of the few I've owned:
  1. 64 Audio u12t
  2. Campfire Solaris OG
  3. Campfire Jupiter
Next on the list is to try some chi-fi IEMs (e.g. Mangird Tea) to see if they compete with the above for less £/$.
Some other notable Chi-Fi IEMs to consider are the Moondrop Blessing 2, the Moondrop S8, Fearless S8 (F, Pro, Z), ThieAudio Voyager 14 and Legacy 3, Penon Orb, Dunu Luna.

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #2,362 of 5,136
TOTL (not entirely sure on order)

1. QDC Anole VX
2. Legend X
3. 64A 18s
----------------------

High-end

4. UM Mest
5. EE Valk
6. AAW Pola 39
(AME line could fall around 6 as well).
----------------------

Mid-fi (low to mid, mid-fi).

7. Penon Orb
8. ISN H40
9. Adv M5 (ciem)
10. Periodic Be
----------------------

Lower end
11. Vsonics Gr7/Bass Edition
12. Fischer Eterna

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #2,363 of 5,136
Listened today:
1) Shure KSE1200 - perfect midrange, good bass and highs, claustrophobic soundstage
2) FIR M5 - nicely balanced, wide and good weight, bit too distanced
3) Ultrasone Saphire. - M5 with less bass
4) FIR M4 - downgraded m5, more upfront, bit congested
5) DITA Audio The Answer - just ok
6) FIR M3 - too bassy, too congested, but not at deal breaker lvl
7) FIIO FA9 - balanced signature with wide soundstage, lacking somewhat weight
8) Solaris SE - sorry, those are tiring, same as regular

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #2,367 of 5,136
Sorry, I wrote FA7, this is FA9, new multi-ba set from Fiio with switches. Nicely tuned without harshness in treble which are known from FH7..

Jun 23, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #2,368 of 5,136
01.64 audio u18t (+details, +holo, - expensive)
03.1670ss + cable upgrade (+++best tuning for me, stage width & height, +3d holo, -stage depth)
04.kse1500 (+details mids & treble, -bass, -extra baggage batt. pack, -expensive)
05.Andromeda 2019 (+stage depth, mids sep., -mids)
06.Rhapsodio Galaxy V2
07.ES3
08.W80
09.Intime Sora
10.AAW Q Canals

01.64 audio u18t
03.1670ss + cable upgrade
04.kse1500
05.Andromeda 2019
06.Rhapsodio Galaxy V2
07.Penon Orb
08.ES3
09.W80
10.Intime Sora

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #2,370 of 5,136
Been meaning to do this for awhile...let's consider this a "working" list that will undoubtedly change over time.
Note, I have the 64A Nio incoming, I am selling my Valk and Tux 5, and I am considering strongly swapping out my EE LX for the LX SE. The addition of the Nio and potential swap of the Legend X's could change the below...

All-BAs:
1) 64A U12t: a more capable version of the Andromeda Golds across the board; in particular, a much wider stage, deeper lows, and better clarity/instrument separation; of the IEMs currently active in my collection, these are the most neutral (and that alone gives you a sense of my preferred tuning) and analytical.
From a price/value perspective, I'm not sure I would choose the U12t's over the AGs comparing MSRPs (let's say $2000 vs. $1300), but I got my U12t at 20% off, and so that gap ($300) vs the AGs made the U12t a worthy upgrade
2) CA Andromeda Gold: loved these guys...punched well above their weight, excellent warmth, nice mids, super clear and sparkly highs
3) QDC Anole VX: overall I found these to be quite capable, but nothing stood out to me...almost a "boring" tuning with all the switches off; this is most likely reflective of my personal tuning preferences; when I fiddled with the tuning switches on the VX, each change would improve one aspect of the FR, but detract from another (i.e., a zero sum game); for example, when I turned the bass switch on, I found the VX bass to be better than the U12 bass - hit deeper and fuller - but I thought it bled into the mids and found the treble to also lose the clarity and sparkle I heard with all the tuning switches off...so, bass significantly improved, but mids and highs were worse in exchange; so at the end of the day, these are great and highly capable/technical IEMs, but I almost came away from them thinking, "meh" - nothing inherently special that stood out to me. I was a/b them vs the U12t and the U12 is so much clearly the better IEM for my tastes and preferences across the board

Hybrids:
1) Solaris 2020/EE LX: I am still undecided about which I prefer. The LX obviously has the better dynamics, but the Solaris has a wider soundstage, better holographics, and better overall balance. I don't find the differences otherwise to be better or worse on one vs the other. For example, the 2020 also very clearly has better defined mids, but the LX' mids don't bother me, per se (i.e., many describe the LX as a "L" shape sig...I don't see it that way - I think the LX is an immensely capable and technically adept IEM across the entire FR). Either could be my daily go-to. I'll make a decision soon so I don't feel like I'm "cheating" by not making a clear decision here.
2) Solaris SE: just a small notch below the 2020; I found the 2020s to hit slightly deeper and harder with bass (which I like), and also have a bit more sparkle with upper mids. Outside of sound sig, the fit is also much better (although the SE's fit didn't bother me...the 2020 still has a better fit).
3) EE Valk: I LOVE the juxtaposition of the estat and the W9. Definitely a V-shape, but it's done very very well IMHO. The treble is super sparkly and forward, yet without even a hint of sibilance. Only reason I'm selling is because, regardless of how much I love them, I find myself reaching for the U12t, the 2020, and/or the LX over the Valks...I guess I'm hitting the ceiling in terms of number of IEMs I can practically have in my collection. But - I don't have anything bad to say about these beautiful IEMs.
4) Noble Tux 5: much like the Valks, these would not be for sale if I hadn't had the fortune to try the other IEMs in my collection; the tuning of these is very much in sync with my preferences (warm), but I would just never reach for them over the 2020 or the LX, and so I struggle with the rationale to keep them. Excellent dynamics (just a touch below the LX in quantity, and just a notch or two below the 2020 in terms of quality); slightly recessed mids, but overall very good; excellent highs, nice and clear, no sibilance; the soundstage on these is wide, but nowhere near the width of the hybrids above - this is probably the one aspect of the sound sig that is most lacking
5) 64A Fourte Noir: many of you may think I'm crazy to put these last, but there's one very clear reason for this - the treble was much too hot for me. Too hot, too peaky, too sibilant. I'm probably a bit sensitive when it comes to treble, but I had so much of a problem with these that I honestly just couldn't listen to them...so I had to part ways with them. Outside of the hot treble, these are super super capable - amazing dynamics (nearly on par with the LX in terms of quantity and much tighter/higher quality); mids were amazing, nice and forward; stage super super wide - depending on the track, on par or better than the 2020/SE. So, there are amazing in so many ways, but the hot/sibilant treble made this a deal breaker

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back