Rank the IEM's you've heard
Mar 3, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #2,761 of 5,136
I haven't spent much time with any of the Sony Walkmans. I see you have create a discussion thread that follows a mammoth thread on the subject. I am under the impression that Walkmans have a very distinct sound and target audience. Are Walkmans transparent sounding? Currently, because of COVID-19, in SoCal there are no stores that stock much high end daps and IEMs are even harder to find demo units to listen to. I think I am done with "fun" sounding daps and dacs. I am going for as close to live music as possible. I enjoy the fact I can hear the left side and right side of a singers voice where prior to the Hugo TT2, I could not tell if a mono voice recording track was mixed into the music. My current go to dap is a SP2000 Copper, but I think I am going back to a Hugo 2 for portable. My third one. Tried two H2 and sent them back. New one coming soon, hopefully this new one will sound better than the last two. This microchip shortage is a big problem.

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #2,762 of 5,136
My current go to dap is a SP2000 Copper, but I think I am going back to a Hugo 2 for portable. My third one. Tried two H2 and sent them back. New one coming soon, hopefully this new one will sound better than the last two. This microchip shortage is a big problem.
What happened with your first two h2s? Are you saying you had a problem with them?

just sold my h2 and thinking of switching to an sp2k...

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #2,763 of 5,136
05E22237-6BB5-4F42-97F7-D0DB4E669C1B.jpeg

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #2,764 of 5,136
What happened with your first two h2s? Are you saying you had a problem with them?

just sold my h2 and thinking of switching to an sp2k...
The first one I had was a 2018 production date and the source switch/marble broke on the unit. Chord repair center in Texas repaired it, but then it had sync problems afterwards. It got sent back and they rebuilt it with a new motherboard and power supply. I hated the sound. It was distinctly different. So I asked my store to sell it and order me a new one. The distributor was saying parts supply chain is a problem and so they can't always get the parts from the primary suppliers in Texas. I am hoping UK is different.

SP2000 is nice with 64 Audio U18t and U12t. I prefer H2 for the Utopia and Eikon. More powerful sound.

Attachments

• CB32A5B9-5BD3-4059-BEF4-B4399B212241.jpeg
    CB32A5B9-5BD3-4059-BEF4-B4399B212241.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 11D93C20-8297-4B85-B745-262954086635.jpeg
    11D93C20-8297-4B85-B745-262954086635.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 31D61B67-BEB0-4D35-8347-74C1C370E326.jpeg
    31D61B67-BEB0-4D35-8347-74C1C370E326.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #2,765 of 5,136
I don't know if they are truly fun sounding of not? I mean there has been 20 software charges is 2 years, maybe more? Nice stuff on your side!
I haven't spent much time with any of the Sony Walkmans. I see you have create a discussion thread that follows a mammoth thread on the subject. I am under the impression that Walkmans have a very distinct sound and target audience. Are Walkmans transparent sounding? Currently, because of COVID-19, in SoCal there are no stores that stock much high end daps and IEMs are even harder to find demo units to listen to. I think I am done with "fun" sounding daps and dacs. I am going for as close to live music as possible. I enjoy the fact I can hear the left side and right side of a singers voice where prior to the Hugo TT2, I could not tell if a mono voice recording track was mixed into the music. My current go to dap is a SP2000 Copper, but I think I am going back to a Hugo 2 for portable. My third one. Tried two H2 and sent them back. New one coming soon, hopefully this new one will sound better than the last two. This microchip shortage is a big problem.

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #2,766 of 5,136
The first one I had was a 2018 production date and the source switch/marble broke on the unit. Chord repair center in Texas repaired it, but then it had sync problems afterwards. It got sent back and they rebuilt it with a new motherboard and power supply. I hated the sound. It was distinctly different. So I asked my store to sell it and order me a new one. The distributor was saying parts supply chain is a problem and so they can't always get the parts from the primary suppliers in Texas. I am hoping UK is different.
Interesting...never heard of such issues with the h2. Can you describe in what way you heard the sound change?

Never had any problems with mine during the short time I had it.

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #2,767 of 5,136
My original H2 was glorious! Loved it coming from the Mojo. It was the Mojo with very strong driving power and increased precise holographic sound stage. Mojo just don't have enough to wake up Utopias.

Two years later the source switch stopped working and started to stick. Marbles are a stupid design idea in my opinion. To avoid future problems...use the remote.

Texas second repair made a Frankenstein. Worked completely correctly, but button colors were pink not white. Blood orange not yellow. Sound was very clear, but so icy cold. I don't remember if my original H2 started out of the box that way and it burned in? Either way, too much wrong I took it back and traded it in for a new one...$945 more to replace it. I really didn't think I was going to listen to it. And the SP2000 has nice bottom an AKM sound, but very different from H2 and does not drive big headphones to my satisfaction so I want a working H2. Mojo never gets used.

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #2,768 of 5,136
I don't know if they are truly fun sounding of not? I mean there has been 20 software charges is 2 years, maybe more? Nice stuff on your side!
With such a strong following, I have to keep wondering what am I missing out on 🤔

I forget to share the most important equipment. IEM collection. Old photo. Don't have pix of 22Kt Gold and Silver 8 braided wire.

Khan, U18t, U12t, Kaiser 10, Wizard Edition Savant 2 (it's okay not great)

Attachments

• 28ED8A87-332B-412A-AC85-9CB702F13681.jpeg
    28ED8A87-332B-412A-AC85-9CB702F13681.jpeg
    942.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #2,769 of 5,136
With such a strong following, I have to keep wondering what am I missing out on 🤔
I don't know? It depends on what you are after?

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #2,770 of 5,136
I would love to find a DAP with the immersive experience of a Hugo TT2. I doubt it can exist due to the power needed. I tried a WA8 Eclipse recently was nice but took 30 minutes to open up and it was with my U18t. Sound stage was too small. H2 is also a bit small sound stage wise and a bit dry in presentation compared to the more musical TT2. But the power is there and warm up is 5 minutes ... sound 98% there.

By the way, the WA8 was not what I thought a tube portable was going to sound like. Very neutral, hits hard. A little on the bright side.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #2,771 of 5,136
My original H2 was glorious! Loved it coming from the Mojo. It was the Mojo with very strong driving power and increased precise holographic sound stage. Mojo just don't have enough to wake up Utopias.

Two years later the source switch stopped working and started to stick. Marbles are a stupid design idea in my opinion. To avoid future problems...use the remote.

Texas second repair made a Frankenstein. Worked completely correctly, but button colors were pink not white. Blood orange not yellow. Sound was very clear, but so icy cold. I don't remember if my original H2 started out of the box that way and it burned in? Either way, too much wrong I took it back and traded it in for a new one...$945 more to replace it. I really didn't think I was going to listen to it. And the SP2000 has nice bottom an AKM sound, but very different from H2 and does not drive big headphones to my satisfaction so I want a working H2. Mojo never gets used.
very curious...thanks.

still love my mojo, but it definitely does not have the stage or technical prowess of the h2.

use the mojo mainly with the erlky and love the synergy.

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #2,772 of 5,136
Can't remember now who makes it. Great wire! Japanese. Maybe a Wagnus wire. I bought it from Noble.

Attachments

• C71800E7-8517-4812-865A-3A2F7F0C733F.jpeg
    C71800E7-8517-4812-865A-3A2F7F0C733F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #2,773 of 5,136
I would love to find a DAP with the immersive experience of a Hugo TT2. I doubt it can exist due to the power needed. I tried a WA8 Eclipse recently was nice but took 30 minutes to open up and it was with my U18t. Sound stage was too small. H2 is also a bit small sound stage wise and a bit dry in presentation compared to the more musical TT2. But the power is there and warm up is 5 minutes ... sound 98% there.

By the way, the WA8 was not what I thought a tube portable was going to sound like. Very neutral, hits hard. A little on the bright side.
The good thing about WA8 is that you can change the tubes if you like more bass the Sylvaine tube adds more bass

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #2,774 of 5,136
very curious...thanks.

still love my mojo, but it definitely does not have the stage or technical prowess of the h2.

use the mojo mainly with the erlky and love the synergy.
If it wasn't for the fact that it needs a source transport of some kind, the Mojo is indeed a fine pocket sized companion and it does sound like a little brother of the Hugos, which is wonderful and probably plenty good enough for walk about the neighborhood with a nice IEM. Probably can't find any place quiet enough outside to fully enjoy the music outside, but that's another problem. Definitely first on the list for consideration for traveling abroad.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #2,775 of 5,136
The good thing about WA8 is that you can change the tubes if you like more bass the Sylvaine tube adds more bass
The stock tubes certainly didn't sound that focused on the high end. Timber was perfect and no hint of old fashion warm tubey sound (e.g. my California Labs Sigma). And, there is surprisingly nothing slow about it either. I thought at first this was a marketing gimmick and its actually solid state with tubes only in the power supply. The clarity of the sound stage was constantly wondering about for the first half hour and it was small. I never got really into it. It was plugged into AC adapter by the way. I didn't check if I was using 2 or 3 tubes, the small sound stage was enough for me to cross it off the list.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back