Rank the IEM's you've heard
Jan 24, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #2,731 of 5,126
Thanks for the hint but unfortunately I can only buy IEMs and headphones new. I know I could save money but these things are just too personal to me.

gotcha, that’s fair.

it’s a great piece, and one of my favorite iems around $3k. Unless you’re a crazy bass-head, or you insist on dd bass, there isn’t much not to like about the ely. I still think its tuning is among the most unique and interesting I’ve seen and heard from an iem.

hope you have the chance to demo it soon!

Jan 24, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #2,732 of 5,126
Everything is interconnected. My tests myself have wavered at times...........BUT.........same as some days you can hear some subtle artifacts in music, so I did end with ideas on that subject.

One choice is attempting to create a USB ground noise dislocation by going optical (not USB) as a cheap solution, I found that as a cheap solution in hindsight, but had the expensive method as a reference. I mean how do you really know if one methodology is better without a parallel or improvement as reference?

I rarely go above 24bit so optical would work for me. But my (reference) setup was the Walkmans as source to the Sony Cradle to the TA desktop via the AQCarbon cable. At that point it seemed to avoid what I have always heard as timing issues with standard USB. Though I do also go regular USB from a MacBook Air with Colibri FLAC into the TA. :wink: :wink: If it's expectation bias or not, I have always found that way to sound different. But.......even the MacBook Air seemed to sound better with less processing going on? Meaning if the computer was maxed out doing a separate job, it was audibly noticed? Again a perfect candidate for expectation bias. I actually use my 1A maybe the most and it's the lowest priced at $1200 total. Though the big change was getting Rockbox tool and going to "J" region, as the players sound different all over the world. Then MrWalkman made a firmware called DMP-Z1 MK1, MK2 and now FE+ which is really good. But when you say (side-running PC) programs affect the noise floor I'm totally a believer. Though my big test was getting the same "best" results going Toslink optical just from a smart TV with a USB stick. So to me that proved it was all about using optical, though optical can't be used to transfer big DSD songs to the TA. But noise could in my book create a frequency "clutter" or time domain "smearing" in a frequency range that would come off as a style of harsh, though I look at it more in the realm of PRaT, imaging, separation and clarity/detail-retrieval.

Probably 80% of judging IEMs in this thread is FR? Outside of that the less-tangible aspects will fall into the soundstage, pace....etc. But we all know if an amplifier has character.............that filters into the character we judge the IEM by. And it is not necessarily the character of the amp but the reaction of the IEM (in relation to) the character of the amp being used to judge all the IEMs in this thread. It’s always the “everything” used.

FR besides the less-tangible aspects of the amp; soundstage, pace etc.... are full systems with FR taking precedence. There is the question of the affinity being due to the IEMs overall tune or the actual technicality of the IEMs frequency response? Because no recording engineer has standardization, the FR being correct would be “more” correct at Abby Road studios (as an example) then less correct across the pond. Again the circles of confusion mean we are looking at finding middle ground with no possible absolutes in correct FR response.

The greatest IEM improvement has been the (since 2010) development of the Harmon Curve which has added room response to the general idea of what IEMs should sound like. Then the second idea was adding pinna gain to again go closer to try and replicate the phenomenon of ear and speaker in a room. Manufacturers adding the top-end treble boost to balance the room response has given us our present day understanding..............and (besides technology in playback) the real reason IEMs are so good now. IMO

Remember too, the Harmon process is both FR testing (as well as waterfalls etc) and subjective public testing with later correlation.

Cheers.

I am going to relook at using Toslink. I have been pleased with the results in the past on how coherent the music sounds with it. Most of the music I listen to is downloaded from iTunes. The USB connection for the M-Scaler has galvanic isolation so hopefully it really has virtually no noise. Once one part of a system improves , it exposes other parts of the system that need improvement. It's amazing to hear the difference from the 3.5mm headphone jack from the Surface Pro 8 and the Hugo TT2/M-Scaler, the changes in sound stage seems like a sound stage of a few inches increased by a couple of feet in all directions. I have re-evaluate which IEMs I like with this new arrangement.

Jan 24, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #2,733 of 5,126
I am going to relook at using Toslink. I have been pleased with the results in the past on how coherent the music sounds with it. Most of the music I listen to is downloaded from iTunes. The USB connection for the M-Scaler has galvanic isolation so hopefully it really has virtually no noise. Once one part of a system improves , it exposes other parts of the system that need improvement. It's amazing to hear the difference from the 3.5mm headphone jack from the Surface Pro 8 and the Hugo TT2/M-Scaler, the changes in sound stage seems like a sound stage of a few inches increased by a couple of feet in all directions. I have re-evaluate which IEMs I like with this new arrangement.

Well, in the early days of my computer audio learning (2009-2010) WASAPI changed how I felt about Foobar2000. It seemed to correct what seemed like timing changes. So then I went on 7 years of paranoia finally using only CDs in a transport. I’m not even sure of what I thought I heard as timing changes, and if it was real? We can create expectation bias. Though even in those early days PC and Apple playback sounded different to me.

Disclaimer:
I have never used this device but am so afraid of USB noise I will break my own rules and at least show an alternative to USB. Lol!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pi2aes-pro-audio-shield.948380/

What about the new Schiit products emerging at this point? I’m thinking even they are maybe on the USB witch-hunt? Obviously this is a multi faceted issue, with ground loop from the AC line, environmental noise “passing by” as well as PC internal noise creation. So? I mean there have even been people who believe the giant power towers above their house are sending noise into their DAC from the computer and USB cable. We know ground loop hum has affected amps (especially tube amps) since the start of this hobby in the 1950s, so why not now? If anything..........for you the optical will be a baseline (even though limited). Still what is amazing is many laptops have small optical outputs that people don’t even know they have? MacBooks used to have it. I have no real answers except at times I thought all this was real as daylight, so much of what we do is insurance safety in effort. :)

Still though, different amps have different impedance thus a new and different tone in the end.

Cheers! I want to hear the rest of your story when you get more ideas!

And.......especially how it relates to your impressions of IEM tone.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #2,734 of 5,126
Hello @Redcarmoose, I will spend more time with the new arrangement and update my impressions. I think I have too many items
I am changing now after the HMS that I need to experiment quite a bit to achieve the sound I like, which is more analytical I believe
is the term. I am not looking for euphonizing the sound. Just getting a close to transparent as possible.

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #2,735 of 5,126
Hi all so I just got the original Andromeda, IMR Semper, Aether ears R essential, and and UM mest. The Andromedas are the best I've ever heard in my 40 iem collection. The IMR is great and adds some bass heft. The Lime Ears are anemic. What I'm shocked by is that everyone loves the Mest. I don't get it. I'm a soundstage head and these were supposed to be the best. They are unbearably bright and weak in the mid bass. Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone else feel ripped off by the hype? The andromeda is light years better. Looking for some tips if I'm just crazy. I replaced the regular cable with a standard 2 pin. I put dekoni bullets on. Is the um marked side the right or left? Probably going to sell unless there are tricks or burn in required because this is not what I expected. Please help peeps!

Jan 31, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #2,736 of 5,126
Hi all so I just got the original Andromeda, IMR Semper, Aether ears R essential, and and UM mest. The Andromedas are the best I've ever heard in my 40 iem collection. The IMR is great and adds some bass heft. The Lime Ears are anemic. What I'm shocked by is that everyone loves the Mest. I don't get it. I'm a soundstage head and these were supposed to be the best. They are unbearably bright and weak in the mid bass. Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone else feel ripped off by the hype? The andromeda is light years better. Looking for some tips if I'm just crazy. I replaced the regular cable with a standard 2 pin. I put dekoni bullets on. Is the um marked side the right or left? Probably going to sell unless there are tricks or burn in required because this is not what I expected. Please help peeps!

You might wanna consult the dedicated thread. Tip pairing is essential, and even cable impedance may play a factor... worth going the extra mile since you did spend money on them.

Jan 31, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #2,737 of 5,126

What are you powering the MEST with?

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #2,738 of 5,126

I only auditioned the MEST for 3 days, but they weren't really my favorite since I want more mid-bass. I wouldn't say the Andromeda is so much better, but I do prefer the Andromeda over the MEST. I brought the MEST to a friend who listened to a lot of high end IEMs and owned the Andromeda S and the MEST is among the best he ever heard because it was the most life like. He also didn't have any expectations or hype going into listening to the MESTs.

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #2,739 of 5,126
The MEST has, in general, been universally respected, though it is certainly not to everyones tastes. It doesn’t have much mid bass, and is definitely more sub bass biased. The mids, while not really recessed, IMO, do take a back seat, particularly to the treble. The MEST is a treble head’s dream IEM. The MEST is really ear tip dependent, and I personally like either Final Type E tips or trimmed foam ear tips best.

For much more information, look at this thread, and ask additional questions here. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/uni...nt-and-impression-thread.924844/post-16145613

For as much as you spent on the MEST, I think it’s worth spending some time trying to optimize it for your tastes. Then, if you still don’t like it, you can sell it knowing you gave it a chance.

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #2,741 of 5,126
iPhone and dragonfly red attached to power source

If you get a chance (maybe via friend or something) try it with a dedicated dap, I'm running mine with the Shanling M8 and I'm just getting lost in all the details.

That said, it's perfectly fine too if your experience won't be the same as others. I personally am attached to my Oriolus mk2 ( I think the tuning is brilliant, even end game for me). The Mest under the right circumstances can sound like a detail powerhouse, so I'd recommend going the extra mile. Synergy cannot be undermined in cases like these. Just my 0.02$

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #2,742 of 5,126
iPhone and dragonfly red attached to power source

I tried the MEST through the PAW S1 when I had it and it sounded flat and lifeless...I would suggest trying it through a more powerful source. Those e-stats love power.

Feb 2, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #2,743 of 5,126
Feb 2, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #2,744 of 5,126
Feb 2, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #2,745 of 5,126
Could you guys recommend something around $1k that doesn't need much power/dap to shine,
I want to use my btr5,

thank you so much,
@Rockwell75 @IEMusic @toaster @1TrickPony

You can go Andro, or in my case Oriolus Reborn. Everyone's got their taste. What aspects do want to hear the most? Analytical first? Music first? Or a compromise in between? Mids lover? Treble head? Tell us, so we can maybe help you further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back