Rank the Headphones that You Own.
May 31, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #2,986 of 8,134
  • Beyerdynamic DT 880  (250)        with amp in a quiet room
  • ATH M50                                    no amp with background noise
  • Koss KSC75  w/headband            ridiculous value
  • Panasonic RP-HT21                    almost as ridiculous as the Koss
  • Monoprice 8323                          beater cans with really good sound
  • Sennheiser HD 239                     good portability, ok sound, open back,
  • Klipsch Image One                      like to use a bass boost with dubstep for complete overkill
  • Sony MDR-XB500                        pretty comfortable, thats about it
  • JVC FLATS                                 They fold flat
  • Parts Express                             backup headband for Koss

May 31, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #2,988 of 8,134
1. HD650
2. HD595
3. HD280 pro
4. PX100

Coming soon Beyer T1

May 31, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #2,989 of 8,134
I think it's time for an update to my old rankings.

1. Sony MDR-V6 (modded, using Beyer EDT-231v, and a smidgen of damping)

Justifying this is going to be impossible to you people, even my mate thinks I'm full of s***...but, explanation as best I can put it in the spoiler.
From here on out I'll refer to these as the m-V6.  The m-V6 have a wonderful lushness to the lower and median mids, inoffensive controlled upper mids that are still a bit forward and provide bite, but are naturally wet, (no disgusting Sahara Desert effect here) and bass that lays a proper foundation for the music.  They behave like chameleons in quite a few ways, especially bass quantity, transparent to the source (song) you're asking them to do.  Most importantly however, they have a roundness to the lower and median midrange's sound, things seem to step forward near the center and recess as they near their sonic boundaries. (not necessarily in space, though)  It's a very strange, euphonic experience, and I'm in love with it, I can only hope this is the merest taste, and the TH900 and HE90 provide this to its fullest extent, throughout the entire range.  The controversial part, now: the m-V6 is very technically capable, it doesn't smooth over anything, and its attack and decay keep pace with more expensive fare.  It's just as good as the HD600 in this regard.

Now, of course these are not without their faults, not by a long shot.  The m-V6 still has a dip in its median midrange, which is inoffensive to me, but other people may really not like it.  To me, having a dip in the lower mids is what creates a nasty suckout that leaves the headphone sounding bone-dry and unnatural as all get out.  The m-V6 is also missing extension above about 14kHz and below 80Hz or so.  EQing the treble up really helps them with their already excellent sense of space and air.  Their soundstage is average, but imaging is pretty good, giving them a nice dimensionality.  There's plenty of things I wish I could change about the m-V6, but for now they remain the most satisfying, musically engaging headphone I own.  I can really just forget I'm listening to headphones so easily with these.  (I feel I have to say this: I am not you, don't go running out to get a pair and mod them because I love them, chances are you will not like them, my sensibilities deviate from standard audiophile sensibilities at almost every turn.)  I feel I should mention too, my V6s are new production.

2. Sennheiser HD600

I feel I need to follow up here, explaining why these are second to a V6, of all things.
There are a couple issues I'd like to address here.  It may be because I'm sensitive to 10kHz peaks, but...the HD600s really hurt my ears.  Like, they give me temporary tinnitus whose duration is directly proportional to how long I listened for.  They have this horrible dryness to the upper midrange around the 10kHz area, with a bloom to it, that I'm going to explain with Tyll's plots for them.  The THD can be seen to start rising towards 10kHz though the measurements don't go that high; this combined with the frequency response peak at 10kHz, is what I believe to be causing this.  The end effect is a piercing resonance, and making the headphone sound dusty and dry like a desert.  Ignoring that, they're technically proficient headphones, sure, but their tonality aside from the peak seems dry and a bit too thin to me, this isn't what real life sounds like at all.  I've known for a while now, I'm sensitive to tonality, and quite a stickler about it too.  My issues with this are the horrendous peak, not enough treble, cerebral, coughing mouse bass response that gives absolutely no grounding element or base foundation to the rest of the sound, and a general dryness.  Altogether, they pulled an RS2i on me; that is to say I tricked myself into liking them at first, and realized I had all these problems with the way they reproduced sound after hearing something that did things more to my liking.  Funny how the human brain can be a dick like that.

Maybe an amp can fix it.  Maybe not.  You shouldn't have to correct a headphone's flaws, the design should be competent enough to lack major issues to correct.  Tonality,  yes, sure have at it with the EQs and tube amps, that's very personal and no stock headphone will ever give you EXACTLY what you want on the first go.  Distortion, resonance, narrow band peaks?  That should have been fixed in the R&D stages.  This is a very old headphone, though, it isn't surprising that this resonance was considered acceptable, it's less bright than most headphones at the time were.

3.Beyerdynamic DT1350
Going off what I remember, I don't have these here at the moment, but they had much the same issue as the HD600 does for me, but they're a less proficient headphone all around, so they rank lower.

4.Grado RS2i maybe?
I wouldn't listen to them for any length of time again, and they've been sold anyway.  Still, may be more techinically proficient than the DT1350, but their frequency response really holds them back.

5. Everything Else  (It's all pretty damn bad to me)

Second to Last: Sony MDR-V6 (stock)

This is a HORRIBLE headphone, its a blurred, splashy, uncontrolled mess who has an upper mid spike that splits the heavens (and your skull) with the stock pads.  Who knew it could have any potential?  I found my modification for it by accident, too.

Last Place:  Reserved for the most awful, offensive headphone I've ever heard: the Audatron SH-608r.

Nothing will ever top this.  In stock form or modded.  I removed it from my headphone inventory, I'm so ashamed to own it.

May 31, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #2,990 of 8,134

Quote:

Last Place:  Reserved for the most awful, offensive headphone I've ever heard: the Audatron SH-608r.
Nothing will ever top this.  In stock form or modded.  I removed it from my headphone inventory, I'm so ashamed to own it.

I don't think anyone would ever shame you for trying out/owning some cheap vintage cans.
I've owned some real stinkers and like to keep them in my "had" list for nostalgia. 
beerchug.gif

May 31, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #2,991 of 8,134
I need to refine my list after adding 2 new cans...

Grado PS500
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
Grado Magnum V5 Woodied/custom headband
Beyerdynamic DT990 pro
Grado 225i (heavily modded/pimped)
Superlux HD681 EVO
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Audio Technica ATH-WS55 (red)
Klipsch IMAGE S4
Poop...

SteelSeries Siberia V2

May 31, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #2,992 of 8,134
1) Superlux HD330 (10/10)
2) Superlux HD681-EVO (9/10)
3) Superlux HD681 (8/10)
4) Sennheiser HD439 (7/10)
5) Sony XB500 (6/10)
6) Monoprice 8323 (5/10)

Sadly I don't use my HD681-EVOs because they are just too darn big for my head. I guess the originals were as well, but you can force the headband to go even smaller, since the plastic bits can barely slide over the plastic backing of the phones.

May 31, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #2,994 of 8,134
Quote:
I think it's time for an update to my old rankings.

1. Sony MDR-V6 (modded, using Beyer EDT-231v, and a smidgen of damping)

Justifying this is going to be impossible to you people, even my mate thinks I'm full of s***...but, explanation as best I can put it in the spoiler.

Clearly, this thread is about people's opinions and really no one should be questioned about how they rank their phones.

Having said that, I think I can safely say, No, you're just WRONG!                            (joking)  
beerchug.gif

May 31, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #2,996 of 8,134
Based on recent usage:

1. Grado RS2 (semi-vintage, blue dragon recabled): they have the most head time just because my music taste leans quite a bit towards singer-songwriter and guitar driven stuff. These phone are magical with guitar (I don't have a problem with bright treble, I think it certainly helps keep things energetic). Bass is sufficient and vocal is quite good on these.

2. Hifiman HE-400: paired with the right amp, these can be great all-rounder. Love the bass, soundstage and clarity. Vocal is ok, nothing to write home about. For guitar I still prefer the RS2 for their intimacy.

3. Kenwood KH-K1000: the only closed cans I still hold on to, also a good all-rounder. They render everything nicely although they might be a bit slow for electronic. Bass is rounded and extends fairly well. These are mostly used for female vocals.

4. Panasonic RP-HTF600 (closed back modded, DT250 pads): very comfortable, for when I don't care for the desktop rig. These surprise me from time to time about how good $30 cans perform.

Jun 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #2,997 of 8,134
Quote:
Based on recent usage:

1. Grado RS2 (semi-vintage, blue dragon recabled): they have the most head time just because my music taste leans quite a bit towards singer-songwriter and guitar driven stuff. These phone are magical with guitar (I don't have a problem with bright treble, I think it certainly helps keep things energetic). Bass is sufficient and vocal is quite good on these.

2. Hifiman HE-400: paired with the right amp, these can be great all-rounder. Love the bass, soundstage and clarity. Vocal is ok, nothing to write home about. For guitar I still prefer the RS2 for their intimacy.

3. Kenwood KH-K1000: the only closed cans I still hold on to, also a good all-rounder. They render everything nicely although they might be a bit slow for electronic. Bass is rounded and extends fairly well. These are mostly used for female vocals.

4. Panasonic RP-HTF600 (closed back modded, DT250 pads): very comfortable, for when I don't care for the desktop rig. These surprise me from time to time about how good $30 cans perform.

didn't know kenwood had headphones - cool some of them actually look like denon

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #2,999 of 8,134
Sound Quality:
Sennheiser amperior
Grado sr80
AKG K240

Comfort:
AKG K240
Grado sr80i
Sennheiser Amperior

The sennheiser amperior is unfortunately not the most comfortable headphone but it does have a very fun and punchy, upfront sound. The sr80i definitely has the edge on the AKG K240. I think the K240 just has a too laid back sound. Unfortunately the amperior's comfort gets a bit 'ouch' after a while, so I end up switching between the sr80i with my portable amp and the Amperior. I prefer the amperior over all though. If only the amperior just had a straight cord without this connector on it. It's kind of bulky.

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #3,000 of 8,134
15)hd205
14)hd429
13)hd238
12)hd239
11)hd438
10)hd439
9)hd515
8)koss ksc75
7)px100ii
6)hd598
5)hd650
4)hd800
3)hd700
2)beyer dynamics tesla t1
1)audeze lcd 2.
i hv made a timetable for my headphones.. well i listen to each and every headphone before i sleep.. but this time table is only for holidays..

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back