Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Sep 17, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #7,396 of 8,134
1 Technically: Focal Utopia - Enjoyment: ZMF Verite. I like both really but I find the Utopia to be the better out of the 2 technicality wise. I do use the ZMF Verite most of the time because it's more forgiving and there is just something about the ZMF tuning that puts a smile on my face.
2 64Audio U12T. Probably the best out of all of my headphones and iems. The reason for not putting these on 1 is mainly because I still prefer over ears over iems but technically wise, I think they beat the Utopia and the Verite. Very nice tuning for a pair of in ears and probably my end game in ears
3 Sennheiser HD800(S). My dad uses my old HD800 now and I kind of regret selling my HD800S. Still one of the benchmarks for me, amazing for gaming and classical music imo just because of the wide (artificial) sound stage
4 Focal Stellia - ZMF Eikon : both sound great, Stellia's being technically better than the ZMF ones but the ZMF ones have a specific sound that just pulls you in, a bit the same as the Verite.
5 Focal Clear : supercharged HD650 - very enjoyable but I sold them because of lack of use.
6 Hifiman HE1000 V2. I liked these but their shaddy build quality made me sell these. Scared of breaking them. Did sound on par with the HD800 but for nearly twice the price....
7 Audeze LCD-3/LCDX/LCD-2 rev 2 - hopefully the build quality and QC issues are fixed after 5 years of having owned them... all of them broke in one way or another :) sold them all of after getting them repaired and shipping them back to America cost me a shitloads. Too bad.

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #7,397 of 8,134
1) HiFiman Sundara
2) AKG K371
3) Bose QC35II
4)Sony MDR-XB450
5) Some 20 dollar sony over ear headphones. Seriously they are so cheap they don't even have a model number on them lol.

And I have some little on ear B&W's, I forget the model number. They were ok until they quit working!

The K371 and Bose are kind of tie really. Just depends on what I am using them for. The K371's are more accurate but the Bose just work with anything because they are wired and bluetooth and have noise canceling. Didn't think I would care for the NC but man is it nice sometimes.

Sep 17, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #7,398 of 8,134
1 Technically: Focal Utopia - Enjoyment: ZMF Verite. I like both really but I find the Utopia to be the better out of the 2 technicality wise. I do use the ZMF Verite most of the time because it's more forgiving and there is just something about the ZMF tuning that puts a smile on my face.
2 64Audio U12T. Probably the best out of all of my headphones and iems. The reason for not putting these on 1 is mainly because I still prefer over ears over iems but technically wise, I think they beat the Utopia and the Verite. Very nice tuning for a pair of in ears and probably my end game in ears
3 Sennheiser HD800(S). My dad uses my old HD800 now and I kind of regret selling my HD800S. Still one of the benchmarks for me, amazing for gaming and classical music imo just because of the wide (artificial) sound stage
4 Focal Stellia - ZMF Eikon : both sound great, Stellia's being technically better than the ZMF ones but the ZMF ones have a specific sound that just pulls you in, a bit the same as the Verite.
5 Focal Clear : supercharged HD650 - very enjoyable but I sold them because of lack of use.
6 Hifiman HE1000 V2. I liked these but their shaddy build quality made me sell these. Scared of breaking them. Did sound on par with the HD800 but for nearly twice the price....
7 Audeze LCD-3/LCDX/LCD-2 rev 2 - hopefully the build quality and QC issues are fixed after 5 years of having owned them... all of them broke in one way or another :) sold them all of after getting them repaired and shipping them back to America cost me a shitloads. Too bad.
Wow amazed to see the hd800 above the Stellia! I guess it is open vs closed, but I felt the Stellia was a solid upgrade from the hd800s, it just seemed to flesh out areas the latter was a bit thin in. That said I didnt get them side by side sadly...

Sep 18, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #7,399 of 8,134
Wow amazed to see the hd800 above the Stellia! I guess it is open vs closed, but I felt the Stellia was a solid upgrade from the hd800s, it just seemed to flesh out areas the latter was a bit thin in. That said I didnt get them side by side sadly...
Need to reevaluate that part because I am just going of enjoyment and not the technical sense and I haven't used the hd800 in a good bit. I guess technically the stellia is better but I just prefer open headphones and the hd800 was my daily driver for years so there might be some bias towards it

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #7,400 of 8,134
Need to reevaluate that part because I am just going of enjoyment and not the technical sense and I haven't used the hd800 in a good bit. I guess technically the stellia is better but I just prefer open headphones and the hd800 was my daily driver for years so there might be some bias towards it
I wasn't that impressed by the Stellia when I owned it. I haven't heard the HD800s more than once, but that will change later today, as I have one coming in. Anyway, apart from how I would rank them, I think enjoyment is the right basis for a ranking, so no need for you to reevaluate I think...😁

Sep 18, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #7,401 of 8,134
1. Etymotic ER2SE (Scientific Perfection):
* Does not require incredibly deep insertion for linear treble extension
* Can be enjoyed with foam tips
* <0.5% THD full spectrum @94 dB
* Zero peaks in the frequency response when using a manual sine generator (bypasses ear resonances)
graph - 2021-09-18T112942.206.png

1631979251930.png

2. Etymotic ER4XR:
*Too much bass leads to certain high frequencies like cymbals being masked when a bass note is played at the same time.
*Requires incredibly deep insertion for linear treble extension
*THD is higher than ER2SE at listening volumes but requires more volume to audibly clip in the bass
graph - 2021-09-18T113124.507.png

1631979234545.png

3. DT880 600 Ω:
The worst headphone I own by far: harsh treble, low detail bass, no isolation, requires a powerful amp for no good reason (32 Ω performs better in THD and can be driven loud from an Apple Dongle)
graph - 2021-09-18T113041.224.png

1631979424978.png

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #7,403 of 8,134
Everyones different that's the beauty of it. I've noticed some people really love the hd800/s, and it's high praise indeed to enjoy it more than a Stellia, which is a much newer, pricier headphone.

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #7,407 of 8,134
In terms of enjoyment/use

1. HE5XX - just a great all-rounder for me, love the signature. Smooth yet vibrant and energetic, and comfiest pair I've tried. All that for $220 (I paid $160) which is crazy.
2. Grado 325x - select genres, especially metal
3. HD800S - I'd be fine without the HD800S as the HE5XX is just a far better all-rounder for my taste, while having that large speaker-like presentation.
4. Galaxy Buds Pro/Drop Panda

Just sold off my Elex too, really started to dislike those after I got the HE5XX. Sounded narrow and compressed, something weird in the mids that made it unpleasant to me, and that creaky damn focal headband too, ugh. Comfort was a big clampy, but not bad. Loved the look of them though.

Actually love the sig of the Buds Pro too...

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #7,408 of 8,134
For classical music:
Fidelio X3

Movies/Netflix
Fidelio X2HR

70's pop/rock
Sony MDR-Z7

Vocal heavy:
Sennheiser HD650

Jack of all trades and best overall
Avantone Planar

Sep 25, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #7,409 of 8,134
(1) ATH-AWAS
Awesome mids, vocals and timbre!

(2) ATH-SR50BT (mainly for travel)
Neutral-bright sounding with decent mids. Can sound a bit shrill at times.

(3) ATH-CK70pro (IEM)
Enjoyable warm mids but the lack of treble and air (rolls off at 15kHz) can make it sound a bit fuzzy at times.

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #7,410 of 8,134
This is really hard :)

NEVER SELL (I know, never say never)
Blackwood Auteur

ONLY SELL IF SOMETHING EVEN BETTER SHOWS UP
Utopia
HEKse
Heddphone

LOVE THESE, SO CLOSE, PROBABLY SHOULD SELL ONE BUT CAN’T DECIDE
iBasso IT07
Penon Volt

GREAT FOR WHAT THEY DO, although not at the same level as previous categories
Ether 2 (nighttime listening)
HD-6xx
iBasso IT03 (fun tuning)
CFA Vega

VERY GOOD, but displaced by other cans
Ether Flow Open ( ==> Ether 2)
HEKv2 ( ==> HEKse)
RAD-0 ( ==> Heddphone)

Empyrean ( ==> RAD-0)

OWNED BUT DIDN’T FIND COMPELLING/SOLD
HE-6se
HD-800S
CFA Andromeda (OG)
CFA Solaris SE

OWNED BUT DIDN’T LIKE/SOLD QUICKLY
T1 gen.2
NightOwl Carbon

OWN BUT KEEP MEANING TO SELL
CFA Atlas
iBasso IT04 (not as fun as IT03 nor as great as IT07)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back