2. Audeze LCD-2
3. Etymotic ER4XR
4. Sennheiser hd650's
5. Beyerdynamic DT880 600 Ohm
6. Philips X2HR

Jul 8, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #7,278 of 8,134
Easy:
1. HD800S (gaming mostly) - stock pads
2. HD660S - Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin pads (seem to increase bass)

Jul 24, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #7,279 of 8,134
Can't really rank my headphones anymore as they are too different on the one hand and on the other hand very close when it comes to performance. I see it's more a matter of taste and you could actually do this ranking in another way. I can only put them in 2 categories: endgame or no endgame. I still try to do some pseudo ranking but like i said it doesn't really make sense. I rank from bottom to top.

No endgame:

- Sennheiser HD25: Technically of course the weakest of the here listed headphones. While it's not an endgame in the classic way it's an endgame for mobile use, gym, etc. A must have headphone.

- Sennheiser HD600: Long time my benchmark. Other headphones had so surpass the HD600 and only 1/10 of more expensive headphones did so. I prefer the HD600 to all the new Sennheisers, to all Beyerdynamics, to the new AKGs and some strangely tuned planars like Audeze and MrSpeakers. In the end the rolled of bass, the terrible imaging and the sluggy speed bothered me but the tonality is top notch.

- Hifiman Ananda: Best beginner headphone on the market for me. Easy to drive, hard to dislike tuning, just lacking some technicalities for some freaks.

Endgame:

Sennheiser HD650: A bit darker and more musical presentation than the HD600. Somehow doesn't have the technical issues that the HD600 has. It's not fast nor does it have great bass extension or imaging but it's at least decent here. I think it's due to differences in the models. My 650 is from around 2000 while the 600 is from 2016.

Audio Technica ATH ADX-5000: I really have problems ranking this one. Overall a bit brighter, studio like presentation. Extremely comfy and light.

Hifiman HE560: Technically maybe the weakest planar here (not sure in comparison with the Ananda) but the one with the most natural timbre. It sounds extremely musical. Could completely understand if someone likes this one over the Susvara.

Hifiman HE1000SE: Compared to the Susvara an overall leaner presentation. It sounds a bit studio like for me. Soundstage is small-medium sized which i really like. I think some people like this over the Susvara due to it having a bit harder attacks.

Sennheiser HD250 Linear 600 ohm: This headphone is an absolute joke. I paid 100€ for it and it's not only the best closed back i've ever heard but is the only closed back that competes with the absolute best totl open back headphones. Looking at the crappy closed backs that are currently on the market for four figures i wonder how a human could have possibly built this headphone 40 years ago. I guess the Aliens that also built the pyramids just dropped that casually by.

Hifiman Susvara: Pretty impressive allrounder, highly detailed, no flaws. Soundstage is very big, timbre perfect for a planar. It sounds very transparent and open. It's non offensive and on the smoother side. I'd like it to be a bit faster. Build is a joke.

Out of all these headphones the only ones i'm sure i'll not sell are the HD25, the HD650 and the HD250. The HE560 most likely too.

If i had to rank them only by technical performance it would be from top to bottom:

1. Susvara
2. 1000SE
3. ADX-5000
4. HD250

gap

5. Ananda
6. HE560
7. HD650
8. HD600
9. HD25

But after a while in this hobby i came to the conclusion that it's not the question whether a headphone is technically A+ or S- that makes me decide if i want to keep it.

What all of these headphones more or less have in common is a somewhat neutral tonality and a natural sound without treblepeaks (Beyerdynamic), holes in the mid (Audeze) or other quirks all over the place (HD800).
Sold my Susvara for an Empyrean and also got more time with the ADX-5000 so here's an updated ranking:

1. ADX-5000: Not spectacular at first but the more i use it the more i like it. Technically very high, pretty fast (not as fast as Utopia and Stax but i think faster than Susvara and 1000SE) with maybe the best imaging i've ever heard (together with Utopia and PS2000). It's more on the bright side and can have a bit of a nasty treble. Build and comfort is 10/10. Very light, not warm and feels good. No frills, just pure usability.

2. HD250: my bechmark for closed backs. Fast, detailed, neutral, not the drawbacks that other closed backs have. Needs a lot! of power.

3. HE1000SE (for sale): Just a very good planar. Very neutral and with the classic planar timbre. Overall lacking the engagement for me. Very overpriced.

4. Empyrean: Sucks technically. Imaging is ok, speed is low, has some mid bass bloat. It has a beautiful tonality though and is fun to use.

4. HD 650: Not really worse than Empyrean and 1000SE. Decent technicalities with beautiful tonality. The benchmark for sub 1k headphones and above.

6. HE560 (for sale): Pretty decent planar that has some nasty treble.

7. Ananda (for sale): The sweet spot in the current Hifiman setup for me. Still a pretty good headphone with a very good tuning but lacking technicalities.

8. HD600: On a good setup better than the Ananda. Has some more technical drawbacks though and i prefer the 650.

9. K1000: I don't think it lives up to the current headphones technical wise but its still okay. I think mine has some bass distortion though. Any help who offers repairment in Europe would be appreciated.

If anyone is interested in one of those for sale pm me (EU).

Jul 24, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #7,280 of 8,134
Sold my Susvara for an Empyrean and also got more time with the ADX-5000 so here's an updated ranking:

1. ADX-5000: Not spectacular at first but the more i use it the more i like it. Technically very high, pretty fast (not as fast as Utopia and Stax but i think faster than Susvara and 1000SE) with maybe the best imaging i've ever heard (together with Utopia and PS2000). It's more on the bright side and can have a bit of a nasty treble. Build and comfort is 10/10. Very light, not warm and feels good. No frills, just pure usability.

2. HD250: my bechmark for closed backs. Fast, detailed, neutral, not the drawbacks that other closed backs have. Needs a lot! of power.

3. HE1000SE (for sale): Just a very good planar. Very neutral and with the classic planar timbre. Overall lacking the engagement for me. Very overpriced.

4. Empyrean: Sucks technically. Imaging is ok, speed is low, has some mid bass bloat. It has a beautiful tonality though and is fun to use.

4. HD 650: Not really worse than Empyrean and 1000SE. Decent technicalities with beautiful tonality. The benchmark for sub 1k headphones and above.

6. HE560 (for sale): Pretty decent planar that has some nasty treble.

7. Ananda (for sale): The sweet spot in the current Hifiman setup for me. Still a pretty good headphone with a very good tuning but lacking technicalities.

8. HD600: On a good setup better than the Ananda. Has some more technical drawbacks though and i prefer the 650.

9. K1000: I don't think it lives up to the current headphones technical wise but its still okay. I think mine has some bass distortion though. Any help who offers repairment in Europe would be appreciated.

If anyone is interested in one of those for sale pm me (EU).
Hi Deolum,
Some thougths to your post.

1. The ADX-5000 is hardly to find in any Buyers Recommendations List on the web in his price class.

2. The Sennheiser HD250 is not a closed back Heafdphone (on ear). Better than Empyrean...are you joking ?

3. The Empyrean is technically the most complex planar magnetic isodymanic hybrid array driver (Rinaro patent). You had the wrong Amp...

4. Check out the Meassuremt for the HD600/650 at Audio Science Review. There is no audible difference...

Jul 24, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #7,281 of 8,134
Hi Deolum,

1. The ADX-5000 is hardly to find in any Buyers Recommendations List on the web in his price class.

2. The Sennheiser HD250 is not a closed back Heafdphone (on ear). Better than Empyrean...are you joking ?

3. The Empyrean is technically the most complex planar magnetic isodymanic hybrid array driver (Rinaro patent). You had the wrong Amp...

4. Check out the Meassuremt for the HD600/650 at Audio Science Review. There is no audible difference...
What?

Jul 24, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #7,282 of 8,134
There is no magical amp that transforms the Empyrean into the most complex planar magnetic isodynamic hybrid array driver.

It is a slow, forgiving and bloated headphone.

LOL

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #7,283 of 8,134
Hi Deolum,

Seems like you have your headphones confused. The HD 250 is over ear and discontinued. The HD 25 is on ear. They are different headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #7,286 of 8,134
Hi Deolum,

The ADX5000 isn't as hyped on buyer's guides because A-T doesn't pump into the marketing hype machine as much as other manufacturers do in North America/Europe.

Not sure if it's because A-T is a Japanese company or if it's because they have their hands in so many different things that a $2k headphone isn't at the top of their marketing budget list, but A-T didn't do the best job marketing this headphone.

For what it's worth, the ADX5000 definitely competes for the #1 spot on my list. It is technically superb, but might be an acquired taste/not to taste for many.

Jul 25, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #7,289 of 8,134
This has been such a pleasant thread and so interesting to read each person's personal opinion rather than arguments when one doesn't hear things the same way...until this page. Can we return to the former?

Jul 25, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #7,290 of 8,134
The ADX5000 isn't as hyped on buyer's guides because A-T doesn't pump into the marketing hype machine as much as other manufacturers do in North America/Europe.

Not sure if it's because A-T is a Japanese company or if it's because they have their hands in so many different things that a $2k headphone isn't at the top of their marketing budget list, but A-T didn't do the best job marketing this headphone.

For what it's worth, the ADX5000 definitely competes for the #1 spot on my list. It is technically superb, but might be an acquired taste/not to taste for many.
The ADX5000 is my #1 open-back dynamic headphone with daylight second. It's light, comfortable, plays nicely with tubes and has the most wonderful sense of air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back