Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jun 8, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #6,871 of 8,138
It's been some years since I heard the the PX-100 II, so I don't remember too well.

But I do remember when I lost my original PX-100 I ordered the PX-100 II -- I sent that one back after one day and I purchase a NOS PX-100...which I still own and love.

I think that the bass was bloated (compared to the first version). I do remember thinking that they were not bad headphones, but just not legendary, like the original PX-100.
Yeah, the PX-100 II has decent bass for such a small headphone. I really enjoyed using it.

I wish Sennheiser would consider making a new revision of these iconic headphones. With detachable cables, perhaps? I'd buy them in a heartbeat!

Jun 9, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #6,873 of 8,138
1) Focal Utopia .... This headphone has the most detail of anything I’ve ever experienced. I find it needs to have the right amp pairing. It could be kind of meh or the best headphone you’ve ever even imagined depending on amp. My PrimaLuna Evo Integrated is special with this, my Trafomatic not so much.
2) Kennerton Thridi .... this headphone is the most versatile with any kind of music I throw at it. The best electric guitar distortion I’ve ever heard. My best all around headphone.
3) Rosson Rad-0 .... This headphone sounds magic and is so easy to drive. This is the one I can take on the road with me. It is also my most beautiful headphone.

very much agree with two of the three and I’ve not heard the Kennerton so I can’t speak from experience.

The utopia is a detail and layering king. Great speed and decay with the best amp pairing. Tone is very good but not quite there with the very best. Ticks way more positives then negatives and still should be considered in anyone’s top three choices when shopping if budget permits.

RAD-0 is the tone monster and is so addictive, has great speed but layering and stage not among the best but not bad.. These displaced the Meze Verite Closed and Heddphone during a last months steel cage headphone death match. Not the most comfortable but once on for a bit i settle in and dont notice discomfort . Highly underrated imho

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #6,874 of 8,138
Someone referred to the RAD-0 as a "super-HD600," and I think that's the best description I've seen. It won't smack you in the face immediately just how great it truly is, but people looking to get "smacked in the face" are cheating themselves a bit. Other headphones lean towards doing one thing in a really impressive way at the cost of flaws elsewhere, the RAD-0 just aims to be damn good at everything, and it does it, without any real flaws. The VC is taking the edge for me because of isolation and because my top two genres have been jazz and extreme metal for awhile now, which it excels at. But I think if I had picked up the RAD and started burning my brain into its sound signature first I might have gotten attached to it instead.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #6,875 of 8,138
Off-topic: they referred to the Focal Clear as a super HD650, (but with a different (metalic) timbre).
So many headphones were claimed to be a super HD650 or HD600.
I remember some threads at Head-fi referring to the Denon D5000s as closed-backed HD650s. :)
It just proves how universally liked and praised the HD600 and 650s are. They maintain their reference point.

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #6,876 of 8,138
Off-topic: they referred to the Focal Clear as a super HD650, (but with a different (metalic) timbre).
So many headphones were claimed to be a super HD650 or HD600.
I remember some threads at Head-fi referring to the Denon D5000s as closed-backed HD650s. :)
It just proves how universally liked and praised the HD600 and 650s are. They maintain their reference point.

Unpopular opinion, I feel alot of people are just riding the "love the HD650" bandwagon without even trying it personally.

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #6,877 of 8,138
Unpopular opinion, I feel alot of people are just riding the "love the HD650" bandwagon without even trying it personally.
That's less of an opinion and more of a baseless accusation.
Just to get technical. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I used to quite dislike the HD650 until I amped it properly. Now I just think it's OK.

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #6,878 of 8,138
That's less of an opinion and more of a baseless accusation.
Just to get technical. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I used to quite dislike the HD650 until I amped it properly. Now I just think it's OK.

I do not dislike or like it since I haven't tried it personally. It's based on a comment from someone in one of Z's reviews.

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #6,880 of 8,138
I do not dislike or like it since I haven't tried it personally. It's based on a comment from someone in one of Z's reviews.
I'm not sure why you would re-post something someone else said if you don't believe it yourself.

It's important to remember that giving opinions on any equipment here, that you havn't heard personally is against the forum rules for various reasons, but mostly to keep the information here relevant.
Realistically this applies for the whole internet... nobody wants to wade through a bunch of irrelevant posts to find the pertinent information.

I guess it's also time for me to appease the 'thread-gods' as I havn't posted here in years.
I won't list all of them that I own, that would be far, far too many. Just the few that get used the most.

1 - JVC HA-DX1000
2 - JVC HA-D1000 (not a typo)
3 - Beyerdynamic DT790 80 ohm
4 - NAD RP18 (heavily modified)
5 - Hifiman HE-500 (modified... just a bit too heavy)
5.1 Sabia V6 & Kube earbuds because I use them so much and they're so comfortable
- kind of a gap -
6 - Satolex Plum hdh0297
6 - Pioneer SE-15
7 - Beyerdynamic DT880M + EF800 Diffuse Field adapter
8 - Sennheiser HD650
9 - Technics RP-F1

... and many more that I probably should get rid of...

Jun 9, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #6,883 of 8,138
1. Utopia
2. Abyss 1266 TC Phi
3. Meze Empyrean
4. HD650

If I include my iem and headphones no longer with me, then:

1. Utopia
2. Abyss 1266 TC Phi
3. 64 Audio A12T
4. Verite closed
5. Meze Empyrean
6. Verite open
7. HD650

Jun 9, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #6,884 of 8,138
Jun 9, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #6,885 of 8,138
What put Utopia over the 1266 TC for you?

I actually really enjoy both. I just find Utopia has more of a "complete" or balanced sound, with really amazing timbre and tone, and overall warmer sound with better/fuller mids. Extremely engaging headphones; at the end of my listening session, I keep on wanting to listen to just 1 more song.. Also, comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back