Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jun 2, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #6,856 of 8,138
None of those were keepers, they might be interesting to hear for few hours, but not for weeks and months. One exception would be HD800S, that one is really incredible straight out of WA2. But it's very specific headphone, I just wasn't using it much and I won't be keeping this expensive headphone to listen to it few times a month.

The 650 on good chain is insane in terms of mids especially. Even the Clear can't beat it. Listening to something like Black Keys is still better on HD650 than on Clears.

Expensive doesn't mean better :wink:
You need to try audio Technica best mids and vocals period and I'm a hd650 die hard fan.

I own the new ath awtk model you might actually prefer the warmer version the ath awas

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #6,858 of 8,138
Yah, I’m a quibbler. It has caused me no end of grief in life. I’d love to contribute to this but it isn’t simple. Ranking what I like? What I use the most? What is best? And best for what? For me? For fidelity?

Sort of in order or personal preference... as of 1600 EDT today:

DCA Ether 2 (for select genres ie NOT classical symphonic orchestra)
Etymotic ER4S (for mastering/recording)
Sennheiser HD5XX (Jubilee) (All around/knock around)
HiFiMAN HE560 (to see what I’m missing with the Ether)
Sennheiser HD580 (Precision) (for old-times sake)
On 2 (for airplane travel and camera work)
Westone W10 (for leisure on the road)
Unisone iCans (for laughs and giggles)
Ubik AirPods 2 (for talking on the telephone)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #6,859 of 8,138
I started with the AD500X and listen to alot of Jrock/Jcore punk and symphonic metal so my rating will be influenced by that.

1. ATH-AWKT : Thinks all the boxes with reguards to timbre,speed,soundstage and dynamics. Sounds perceved flat with that tastefully done slight upper mids bump that makes vocals just magical. Detail is on point and presented in a way that grain and other digital artifacting sounds good. The only gripes I have with this headphone is that subbass focused songs can sound extremely cramped and the headband but the headband can be solved by wrapping cloth(preferably black microfibre) around the split headband to distribute the weight properly.

2.ATH-R70X : Nice warm can,does vocals very well and still my go to if I need that extra bass boost and dont care about the extra fine detals.

3. SRH1440 : I ike my vocals and this was made for vocals. Also has pretty nice accurate bass which is a plus.

4. SRH1840 : Only reason I'm rating his under the SRH1440 is that it has not as much mid forwardness and a slightly leaner bass. Otherwise detail and imaging are truely good and I can see why these are used in studios for checking mixes.

5. ATH-MSR7 : My current portable can. It has a fun slight V sig that is still mid forward and I just love how the bass is presented. For a cheap closed back detail and soundstage are amazing and wide for portable closed backs respectively. Has ATs upper mids bump that automatically makes it a keeper and with that slam it really enjoyable when traveling to and from work.

6. ATH-AD500X : Not very good detail and bass is only ok. Howerver as a cheap starter headphone timbre and the enjoyment I get out of this headphone is specticular.

Bellow are the headphone I have/had that I dont like

7. HE560 : Its ok the only reason why it gets this high is due to the detail and the realivety enjoyable listen if you dont care about decay because this headphone has next to no decay. Also spiky trebble is a automatic sadface for me. In casual listening the HE560 is still a nice listen and can still be recomended if you prefer that planar lack of decay bass considering how its droped to 300 which is a very good price for that headphone and you like the general hifiman sig.

8. ATH-A900X : Same issue as HE560 in its spiky trebble. Vocals are strangely lacking for a AT can and bass details are subpar do not recomend. The only redeming factor is the soundstage is ok.

9. HD600 : Maybe if I hadn't have the AD500X I might have kind of liked this headphone. Pretty much the only reason I got this was because the cult of HD6X0 reced this to high hevens and the less is said about this headphone the better.

Jun 5, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #6,860 of 8,138
You need to try audio Technica best mids and vocals period and I'm a hd650 die hard fan.

I own the new ath awtk model you might actually prefer the warmer version the ath awas

Thanks for tip, unfortunately this seem to be kinda hard to try in EU.

Jun 5, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #6,861 of 8,138
8. ATH-A900X : Same issue as HE560 in its spiky trebble. Vocals are strangely lacking for a AT can and bass details are subpar do not recomend. The only redeming factor is the soundstage is ok.
It always amazes me how sound can be perceived in different ways. I own the A900Xs and I don't have an issue with a spiky treble at all. And to illustrate I am not that used to bright treble: I adore my Nighthawks and Sony Z7s, cans that are considered to be muffled with little to no highs. I find vocals with the A900Xs to be excellent and the bass is fine as well.
But I agree: these A900Xs (fortunately) don't have an upper mid bump, which I favor. It's this bump that makes music listening rather fatiguing to my ears, like the Denon D5000s do and the Audio Technica W1000Xs and my old pair, one of the first headphones I bought, the Audio Technica A500s.

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #6,863 of 8,138
The top 5, from my collection -

1) Fostex TH900 Mk2 (the best headphone for dance music, ever)
2) Sony MDR-Z1R
3) Audeze LCD-XC
4) Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Gen)
5) Denon D2000

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #6,864 of 8,138
My highly subjective ranking:

1. AKG 702. Yes, i got it for 90 € and put it on place 1. in my list. It just sounds so real. It's the headphone i wanna hear the most with and when i'm listening i just want to listen for so long.

2. InEar Prophile 8. Amazing TOTL IEM with actual good price performance ratio. It sounds extremly natural.

3. Sony MDR Z7 Mk. 1. Just pure fun.

4. Stax Lambda Pro (with T1). Extremly good soundquality however i don't really use it. It doesn't sound that real like dynamic headphones and the time to warm up...

5. Grado GS1000e. Fun open headphone but heavily limited to specific genres.

6. Fostex TH900 Mk2. An allrounder. If you only look for one headphone this might be considered. For specific genres i prefer other headphones though so this doesn't get much usetime.

7. Audioquest Nightowl Carbon. Doesn't reach the quality of the above mentioned. However it's not a bad headphone for the price.

Jun 8, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #6,865 of 8,138
Update... from post #6,737

7. Sennheiser PX-100 (v1) - My mainstay for over a decade before venturing into the audiophile realm with the HD6XX. I still use them when casually browsing the web or playing games.

I still have a pair of the original PX-100s ( the second version is missing the magic). I used to love those things (still do).

Jun 8, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #6,866 of 8,138
1. Pioneer SE Master-1: Almost as detailed and open as the HD800 but with much more low end.
2. HD800: Not much to say about these that hasn't been said.
3. Philips X2: Use them as wireless Bluetooth (ala the Earstudio ES100 MK2) or Gaming headset with a mic chord.

Jun 8, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #6,867 of 8,138
1. Ultrasone Edition 12
2. AKG K92
3. Beyerdynamic DT 880 250ohms
4. TDK ST800
5. Koss Pro 4AAT
Trash: Nordmende whatever numbered headphones.

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #6,868 of 8,138
I still have a pair of the original PX-100s ( the second version is missing the magic). I used to love those things (still do).
I have the PX-100 II. It has since been retired, as the pads have worn away, and I was too lazy to source for a new set. But for what it's worth, they were really good for its intended purpose. You can fold them up, and stuff them in your pocket - truly portable headphones; no bag needed!

I haven't heard the original model before; what are the differences between the 2?

Jun 8, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #6,869 of 8,138
I have the PX-100 II. It has since been retired, as the pads have worn away, and I was too lazy to source for a new set. But for what it's worth, they were really good for its intended purpose. You can fold them up, and stuff them in your pocket - truly portable headphones; no bag needed!

I haven't heard the original model before; what are the differences between the 2?

It's been some years since I heard the the PX-100 II, so I don't remember too well.

But I do remember when I lost my original PX-100 I ordered the PX-100 II -- I sent that one back after one day and I purchase a NOS PX-100...which I still own and love.

I think that the bass was bloated (compared to the first version). I do remember thinking that they were not bad headphones, but just not legendary, like the original PX-100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back