Rank the Headphones that You Own.
May 5, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #5,431 of 8,131
With the closed back planars ive heard, planars imo just do better with a open design. These 100mm big boys need room to breathe imo. But im no acoustic engineer. Then again look at the raves over how good the Sines are, maybe just not enough dampening for the el8c. The 2016 refresh though may have corrected that. I know one thing so far the el8o is my favorite phone. I havnt found a type of music that sounds bad on these yet. Exception being poor recordings, these things will find every defect.

May 7, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #5,432 of 8,131
My cans
SENNHEISERHD 485
SENNHEISER HD650
SENNHEISER HD800
AUDEZE LCD2'2
PSB M4U
PHONON SMB-2

...and these are in rank order?

May 18, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #5,434 of 8,131
Ranked by Quality of Sound with Subcategory Inears.
Have to admit i am a huge fan of the Fostex TH7B it s nothing special but a really sweet sound out of such a basic Headphone.

ATH AD1000X
ATH M50X
Beyer DT 770
Fostex TH7B
AH D321
ATH Pro5MKII

ATH CKS1000
Sennheiser IE80
ADL EH008
Yamaha EPH 100
ATH CKS77X
Sony  MDR-EX 450

May 19, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #5,435 of 8,131
  From best to worst:

1) Denon D2000 - Still my favourite after 3 years (or 4) of having them.
2) Ultrasone HFI-780 - Had these for more than 5 years, and while I don't use them much, they're still so enjoyable for watching movies and playing videogames. Uncomfortable as hell though for extended periods.
3) Audio Technica ANC23 (Noise Cancelling) - Seriously these IEM's are awesome. Great sound! and they do a good job when you turn on the noise cancelling, no real loss in audio quality.
4) AKG K240MKII - These were my first high-end headphones. They're amazing for studio use and for their flat frequency response...but these days I find them too boring to listen to.
5) M-Audio Q40 - Great set of headphones and not very expensive. Barely use them, and they're definitely not as good as the other headphones on my list.
6) Apple In-Ear - I thought they were better than the Shure's when I first heard them...but in reality compared to the Audio-Technica's, they just don't sound that good anymore.
7) Shure SE210 - I honestly don't remember what these sound like and can't even seem to find them. My opinion would change if I heard them again I think.

Upcoming...MEE Audio Pinnacle 1. Bought these to replace my Audio-Technicas for when I'm at work. And I just wanted some higher-end IEM's. Although I have listened to the Sennheiser IE800 and those were some seriously incredible IEM's so they will be hard to beat. From what I'm reading though, the Pinnacle 1's are something special!

Updated:

1) Hifiman HE-400
2) Denon D2000
3) B&W P7
4) Ultrasone HFI-780
5) AKG K240MKII
6) M-Audio Q40

IEMs

1) MEE Audio Pinnacle P1
2) Sennheiser IE80
3) Sennheiser CX 5.00g
4) Audio-Technica ANC23
5) Apple In-ear

May 19, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #5,436 of 8,131
been a while since I jumped on this, so:

1) HiFiMan HE400i - not a perfect headphone, but a perfect headphone for me.  Easy to drive, energetic, great imaging accuracy, great bass, fast
2) Fostex THX00 - Listen to this the most, due to it being my work headphone.  Just an incredible bassy headphone, without making any of the compromises that most basshead headphones make.
3) Shure SRH840 - My closed at home headphone.  Nice solid fun warm signature, while also having very present upper mids/lower treble.  Great isolation and built like a tank.
4) E-MU Walnut - Great "straight out of an iphone" walk arounder.  Fun bass, clear, smooth mids and highs.  What I take with me when I travel
5) Innateck woody IEMS - I don't even know the model name for these, but I love them.  I'll one day put a post up here about them, but I paid $10 for them and they're my go to for walking the dog.
6) Koss KSC75 - These stay in my messenger bag at all times so that I have something if I end up with some time to burn.  Beat many a $100 cans.  
7) Audio Technica AD700 - go to open "watching a movie" cans.  Also still up there with the best headphones I have for classical.
8) SR80e - Nice "doing chores around the house" headphone.  Great to just throw some classic rock on and non-critically listen with.  
9) Sennheiser HD439 - my go to cans for watching netflix in bed while my girlfriend is sleeping.  They're solid performers and very light and comfortable.  

May 19, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #5,438 of 8,131
I change my mind all the time -- frankly, it's generally what's on my head that's my favorite, because my brain adjusts to the different signature and appreciates the strengths of the cans on my head, then if for some reason I'm craving a different flavor, the "other" cans are better and I pull them out... but here is my current ranking:

1. Fostex T50RP Mk3 with stock pads (no mods!) (my first planars, love the precision, the fast planar bass, and mids are right there, love it, don't know all the right words -- just love them)
2. Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm  (so comfortable! love the highs that some people don't on these, bass is just right)
3. Alessandro MS2i (Grado with aggression toned down some - very enjoyable and what I'm listening to right now)
4. Sennheiser HD 600 (these go to number 1 when I have them own -- sorry I'm flaky! they don't do anything wrong to my ears - just sometimes I want something different)
5. HiFiMAN HE-400 (when I want fully open planar heaven, and I strangely don't find them heavy at all)

The Oppo PM-3, Grado SR325e, and AKG K7XX go in there somewhere but I've barely listened to the first two for less than an hour and a half since I just got them, and the K7XX is on loan to a co-worker after I briefly enjoyed them, but I remember thinking it was definitely the king of soundstage in my headphone stable.

May 20, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #5,440 of 8,131
For home listening:
1. HD800 modded
2. HE-6 modded
3. PM2 modded
4. Z7 modded (just sold)
5. Jecklin Float Model 2

Wow I don't keep anything stock.

Portable:
1. PM2 
2. Z7
3. MH40
4. T15
5. EX700

Blackwood is on its way but since I've heard it before I'd probably rank it about third and move the PM2 down. I also just bought a UERM (second time) because I realized I don't have any good IEMs anymore.

May 21, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #5,441 of 8,131
1) HE-400i: Safe pick no matter what the music genre. I just can't go wrong when putting these babies on, hence why they get #1.

2) TH-X00: Just a wonderful, fun headphone to listen to. Great compliment to the 400i's neutral-ish tone.

3) XBA-H3: What can I say? Had these for over two years, now. I love a fun, u-shaped sound signature on the go.

4) SHP9500: My all time favorite gaming headphone. Cheap, durable, sounding well above its price range. If ranked by usage time, these would be #1.

May 21, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #5,442 of 8,131
been a while since I jumped on this, so:

1) HiFiMan HE400i - not a perfect headphone, but a perfect headphone for me.  Easy to drive, energetic, great imaging accuracy, great bass, fast
2) Fostex THX00 - Listen to this the most, due to it being my work headphone.  Just an incredible bassy headphone, without making any of the compromises that most basshead headphones make.
3) Shure SRH840 - My closed at home headphone.  Nice solid fun warm signature, while also having very present upper mids/lower treble.  Great isolation and built like a tank.
4) E-MU Walnut - Great "straight out of an iphone" walk arounder.  Fun bass, clear, smooth mids and highs.  What I take with me when I travel
5) Innateck woody IEMS - I don't even know the model name for these, but I love them.  I'll one day put a post up here about them, but I paid $10 for them and they're my go to for walking the dog.
6) Koss KSC75 - These stay in my messenger bag at all times so that I have something if I end up with some time to burn.  Beat many a $100 cans.  
7) Audio Technica AD700 - go to open "watching a movie" cans.  Also still up there with the best headphones I have for classical.
8) SR80e - Nice "doing chores around the house" headphone.  Great to just throw some classic rock on and non-critically listen with.  
9) Sennheiser HD439 - my go to cans for watching netflix in bed while my girlfriend is sleeping.  They're solid performers and very light and comfortable.  

I've noticed over the last few months from the 400i and X00 threads that we have very similar tastes. I'm now looking into the E-MU walnut since it seems to be to your liking, as well.

Man, does Shure hold a dear spot in my heart. One of my favs is the 1540. Sort of like a better refined 840 with a wider soundstage and more bass. Loved them both very much during their respective times in my possession.

May 21, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #5,443 of 8,131
Headphones:

LCD-X, LCD-2r2, AKG K812, LCD-3, Beyer T-1, LCD-XC, HD25-SP II, HD800, Sony SA5000

IEMs:

Noble K10U, Shure KES1500, SE846, Westone W60, Pro 30, Layla, Roxanne AR03, UE900s, UE18 Pro

May 21, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #5,444 of 8,131
  For home listening:
1. HD800 modded
2. HE-6 modded
3. PM2 modded
4. Z7 modded (just sold)
5. Jecklin Float Model 2

Wow I don't keep anything stock.

Portable:
1. PM2 
2. Z7
3. MH40
4. T15
5. EX700

Blackwood is on its way but since I've heard it before I'd probably rank it about third and move the PM2 down. I also just bought a UERM (second time) because I realized I don't have any good IEMs anymore.

The Z7 you quote is that the MDR or DR version and if so what mods?
Thank you for your insight

May 21, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #5,445 of 8,131
It's the MDR version and I combined the micropore mods with dynamat and BillP's mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back