Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jul 7, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #5,101 of 8,134
  Perhaps a bit short compared to some others so nothing special but here I go:

1. HD650: needs no explanation
2. NAD Viso HP50: great closed back for less than $300 though bad ergonomics
3. Mr. Speakers Mad Dog: another great option for less than $300, most will like this over the HP50 but my preferences are more HP50
4. HD598: not really being used since I got my HD650's but still, not bad
5. Martin Logan Mikros 90: I don't know why Martin Logan stopped headphone production a few months ago, apparently they weren't selling enough but good on-ears for the price regardless
6. SR80E modded by me: meh. I don't care about these anymore. It's probably a good idea to sell these soon to those who appreciate Grados
7. Bunch of in-ears like Xiaomi Piston 3s, some Senns but nothing worth mentioning

I'm looking at adding HE560s to the list at the moment.

Would your HE560 top the list?

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #5,102 of 8,134
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
I dont normally call people out like this but we get it, you love the ss100s.

I follow this thread and almost every week you post the same thing. Its honestly coming across as spam. I'm glad that you love it but I'm sure no one here wants to hear your holy praises every single week.

Hehe, I thought I was just to new to this thread.

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #5,103 of 8,134
Gotta separate my IEM's from the others but here's my (top 4) ranking:

Full Size:

1) Beyer T1 - great allrounder, deep soundstage - Bright Yin
2) HE-500 - just a hair behind the T1 and loved just as much - Warm Yang
3) Fidelio X2 - very musical, so versatile, and relatively easy to drive
4) HD650 - Still magical with acoustic music and intimate vocals

IEM:

1) RE-600 Songbird - does everything right (unless you're a basshead) - questionable durability is my only con
2) Sony MDR-7550 - like the HE-500/HD650 tonality and want an IEM?  This is the one.
3) Vsonic GR07 - just an amazing all rounder and the best thing under $100
4) Audio-Technica CKR9 - love the BA like speed with dynamic driver bass texture

My other headphones have limited/specific purposes or were bought out of curiousity and as such I can't adequately rank them overall.

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #5,105 of 8,134
On head:  I recommend and external amplifer for all of these 'phones.  I am using various Schiit amps e.g., Fulla, Magni, Asgard.  Also recommend the OPPO HA-2, which is a steal.  Have an old school Antique Labs MT in OTL mode which is very tube sensitive and noisy like cooking bacon.
Grado RA-1 is only good for any Sennheiser, not so good with anything else I own.

1. Oppo PM 2:  Great response.  Seems linear.
2. Sennheiser 650:  Little dark so great on very bright or bass shy stuff.  Most comfortable of any headphone I have ever owned.
3. Harman Kardon NC wired.  Out of print.  Bought for noise cancelling, but actual prefer it without noise cancelling.  Great for traveling.  Not the most comfortable unit.  HK was clearing them out for a very low price last year.
4. Audio-Technica ATH-M50x:  Quite comfortable, good closed back.  Nice "budget headphone".  I found best for computer gaming and rock and jazz.  Not for classical music.
5. Sennheiser 580: Liked until cheaper 'phones were better so I moved to 650
6. Sennheiser 280:  Bright, good substitute for noise cancelling

IE 'phones:  
1. Shure SE 535:  Wow!  Can hear details I have never heard before in a lot of music.  Comfortable too.
2. Kenwood HA-FX850:  cdjapan.co.jp offered these at a steal.  KInd of dark but the most comfortable IE I own.  Sound is not as good as the Shure 425, but the Kenwood is much more comfortable.
3. Shure SE 425:  Great IE, until I listened through the 535.  Is the 535 $250 better than the 425?  Probably not, but the difference is apparent.

I own a series of Sony, Koss, and IE pos but as you spend more, you get more.

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #5,106 of 8,134
Don't own them.....yet, but I have a pair of HE1000s for an evaluation. So.....

1. HE1000

Space for emphasis...

2. HE560/PS1000...depends on my mood
3. Alclair RSM Quads ciems
4. PS500e
5.K7XX
6. DUNU Titans.

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #5,109 of 8,134
Jul 9, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #5,111 of 8,134
I don't own many. Gotten rid of some the last few years too.

Full-Sized:

1. JVC HA-RX700 - I use these mainly at home. The long wire and large size make them unweildingly clumsy for on-the-go. They have a nice laid back signature and are quite comfortable with minimal clamp.

2. Sony MDR-XB950AP/H - I plan on using these for trips and maybe some commuting. They have some nice bass (prefer analytical) but sound veiled and recessed compared to everything else I have. Very comfortable and soft earpads. Look nice with a brushed aluminum exterior. Bass seems to drop off nicely depending on the music you listen to. It was hard for me ranking this higher due to the veiled sound.

3. Monoprice 8323 - I still have the stock cables but just replaced the pads with the polyurethane ones. Much more comfortable and due to extensive OTG use mines has limited clamp. Still sounds odd to my ears. Feel like it needs more bass, a better soundstage, etc. Maybe others are right and these need new housings.

4. Coby CV-150? - I forgot the exact model for these. The cable broke halfway between the plug and the y-split. Dad helped me replace it with a jury rigged alternative. Thinking about tossing them. Okay sounding, uncomfortable vinyl pads, and next to no swivel on the cups. All of this plus my big ears make these the worst OTG phones.

Portable:

1. Photive PH-BT3 - My first pair of BT phones. Not bad. Fairly neutral, some bass (nothing exciting), lasts 12-14 hours on a full charge with max volume. Convienent without the hassle of wires.

2. Panasonic SHP-9500? - Don't recall the exact model off hand. It folds inward with a twist. Cups are small and they pinch my ears. Surprising good sounding (as joker already said in the shootout thread). Cable came out from the right ear. Reliefs are apparently useless. Tried supergluing back in. Gave them away to my mom. Cable came back out a few months later.

In-Ears:

1. Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3 - My very first pair of IEMs. Awesome. Clear, analytical, made me happy for years. I eventually grew frustrated with the semi-memory wire. Tangled like crazy and the single flange tips no longer seal as well. Replacement double-flange tips weren't as thick and so I ended up back with the stock tips.

2. Soundmagic E10 - nice dynamics. I feel they are like a funner version of the UEs I have. Clear, decent bass, leans on the analytical side. Over great and comes with double-flange tips.

3. Meelectronics M9 - slightly veiled compared to e10s. Tips tend to bend in my ears. Way too flexible. After markets tips are just as bad (at least the ones I have).

4. Soundmagic PL-18 - pretty standard. Bass is a bit better then the E10s but lack some of the detail. Let brother borrow once and he lost them. :frowning2:

I want to get a nice pair of Senns in the future. Not sure which yet.

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #5,112 of 8,134
  It's more fun and involving with the music I like, which is mostly electronic.

This post helps me a lot as I'm deciding which one to purchase next. How would you describe vocals, specifically female vocals, in regards to both cans? I listen to mostly electronic music and I've found the HE-500 more enjoyable than the 560 and the LCD2.

oh yeah almost forgot..

• HE-500
  • HE-560
  • LCD2
  • D2000
  • W4

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #5,113 of 8,134
New IEM rankings.

1.Yamaha EPH-100. Dethroned the Narmoo S1 simply by changing the tips. The S1 has slightly better bass but the 100 has much better treble and has a better fit.

2.TTPOD T2. Does everything better,when I listen to jazz,than the TTPOD T1 except soundstage but I can live with that.

3.Narmoo S1. Fatiguing treble and large size were its weakness but still a fun IEM.

4. MEElectronics M Duo. Inferior to the S1 all the way around except with the fit.

5. TTPOD T1. I only used it for one genre 'cause that was all it was good for to my ears.

6. GranVela VJJB V1. The least fun sounding duo driver IEM that I own. Doesn't sound bad,just boring.

7. CoreCool V2. The only thing the V2 has going for it is its looks and detachable cables. They are both wasted on its recessed mids and sloppy bass.

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #5,114 of 8,134
New IEM rankings.

1.Yamaha EPH-100. Dethroned the Narmoo S1 simply by changing the tips. The S1 has slightly better bass but the 100 has much better treble and has a better fit.

2.TTPOD T2. Does everything better,when I listen to jazz,than the TTPOD T1 except soundstage but I can live with that.

3.Narmoo S1. Fatiguing treble and large size were its weakness but still a fun IEM.

4. MEElectronics M Duo. Inferior to the S1 all the way around except with the fit.

5. TTPOD T1. I only used it for one genre 'cause that was all it was good for to my ears.

6. GranVela VJJB V1. The least fun sounding duo driver IEM that I own. Doesn't sound bad,just boring.

7. CoreCool V2. The only thing the V2 has going for it is its looks and detachable cables. They are both wasted on its recessed mids and sloppy bass.

What's the new tips you use with your EPH-100?

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #5,115 of 8,134
New rankings:

1. AKG K7xx = Flare Audio R2Pro
  2. Flare Audio R2A
  3. ADL EH-008

Users who are viewing this thread

Back