Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Sep 2, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #4,501 of 8,135
  That lag you speak of is vastly improved with better amping in my experience. They (LCD-3s) are very quick (and quicker than the LCD-2s) when you have an amp with 2 W minimum into 50 ohms. The advantage of the LCD-2s is that they still sound great with lesser upfront gear.

I practically lived on speaker amps with power ranging anywhere from 40 to 60 Watts @ 8 ohms. Emotiva, Marantz, NAD, Luxman and occasionally McIntosh. I had fun with Luxman speaker amps but the price and form factor of a speaker amp was ridiculous.

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #4,502 of 8,135
  I practically lived on speaker amps with power ranging anywhere from 40 to 60 Watts @ 8 ohms. Emotiva, Marantz, NAD, Luxman and occasionally McIntosh. I had fun with Luxman speaker amps but the price and form factor of a speaker amp was ridiculous.

While speaker amps work great with the HE-6s, I found that they weren't very good with Audeze headphones. I've tried Krell, McIntosh, Pioneer and NAD with both and the HE-6s sounded best, while the LCDs lagged behind the dedicated headphone amps I owned/tried (LF/GS-X Mk2/B22).

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #4,503 of 8,135

While speaker amps work great with the HE-6s, I found that they weren't very good with Audeze headphones. I've tried Krell, McIntosh, Pioneer and NAD with both and the HE-6s sounded best, while the LCDs lagged behind the dedicated headphone amps I owned/tried (LF/GS-X Mk2/B22).

Yeah I'll agree with you on Hifiman's responding better to speaker amplification. Although the LCD-2's were much less pickier than LCD-3's. The LCD-2's did quite well with speaker amplification. The LCD-3's on the other hand I just didn't have the luck or patience to get it right after a few months of experimenting. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #4,504 of 8,135
  Yeah I'll agree with you on Hifiman's responding better to speaker amplification. Although the LCD-2's were much less pickier than LCD-3's. The LCD-2's did quite well with speaker amplification. The LCD-3's on the other hand I just didn't have the luck or patience to get it right after a few months of experimenting. 

That's the definite advantage of the LCD-2s...easy to get right. I actually admire them for that feature. The LCD-3s are the toughest and the LCD-X's are somewhere in the middle in that regard.

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #4,505 of 8,135
  That's the definite advantage of the LCD-2s...easy to get right. I actually admire them for that feature. The LCD-3s are the toughest and the LCD-X's are somewhere in the middle in that regard.

Yeah I had similar results. HE-500 being the easiest, followed by HE-6 provided you have power, next LCD-2 and then LCD-3. All classic models. No experience with LCD-X. I would try it out but the heavy weight and the fact that the HD800 work so wonderfully keep pushing back any aspirations to experiment with the current Audeze lineup.

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #4,506 of 8,135
That's an interesting discussion, thanks for the comments re-LCD 2 vs 3. I have yet to listen to any Audeze but am very interested in them. I have been planning to pick up an LCD-3 at some point.

That's an interesting comment about the amps. I would be using a Corda Classic, which should give about 3W into that load.

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #4,508 of 8,135
Thanks for all the LCD-2 vs. LCD-3 discussion; that was quite enlightening. I need to make sure that when I hear an LCD-3 I hear a pair properly amped to see if I agree with MacedonianHero when it comes to their scalability. I've only really heard the LCD-2 on a Rega EAR (which I was auditioning at the time as a potential purchase for my HD650) and a Schiit Lyr, but I think they both did a fairly good job driving them.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #4,509 of 8,135
1: Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs.  I've had these for years and done a couple of mods, and they're still my all-around favorite for sound.  Very balanced sound.  Closed, decent isolation, excellent comfort.  Good for every genre of music.  Not the strongest sound stage, but an overall miracle for the price ($50 from Amazon).  The construction of these is unbelievable and they're a modder's dream.  Easy to take apart, every part made for field service, terminal blocks instead of soldering.  I still can't believe that someone decided to mass produce something like this, but they're my favorite to experiment with as it's easy to undo changes. 

2: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250.  Outstanding comfort, wide sound stage, crisp highs.  A good bit more expensive than the stuff that I usually pick up out of curiosity, and certainly very nice.  Very light, requires a bit of power to drive properly, but lovely when done right.  Like #1, I love these for all types of music.  Leaks a lot of sound in and out, so a quiet room is required.  The coolness and comfort of these much more strongly lends itself to long listening sessions.  Sound and comfort would probably put it #1, but the isolation and versatility of the AT keep it ahead for the time being.  If this is what ~$150 buys, I'd love to experience $1,000 cans.

3: Koss Pro4AA (1973).  My preferred can for listening to rap.  Very powerful bass that reaches just as low as #1&2, less treble and mids.  Isolates like no other, and doesn't leak sound, either.  When fed lots of power, can play almost impossibly loud without distortion.  Hot and uncomfortable, but just really sounds incredible when I'm listening to rap.  Great for classic rock as well.

4: Superlux HD681.  The only one out of this group that can be driven to really satisfying volume by my iPhone 4s.  They're less comfortable than #1&2, but more than 3.  Open enough to feel safe to use outside without missing something dangerous.  Superb for the price, but I think that I find their response peculiarities less offensive than some people.  Tyll's review of these was much more critical than I would be.  These were the gateway drug that led to the DT990 purchase, and do have a similar sound with less comfort.  In spite of the weaknesses, I'd consider them probably the best you can get for $35.

It might be a sacrilege around here, but I've modified all 4 to accept cables with 3.5mm ends so that they can be used as headsets on the phone.  While not perfect for critical listening, I have to realistically accept that it's convenient to listen that way and so I adapted the headphones to that.  I can still use a heavier cable at home when it's possible with stronger sources.

List of what's next on my list to try (and I'm open to suggestions, especially under the $100 mark):
AKG Q/K701
Beyerdynamic DT770
Pioneer SE-A1000
Noontec Zoro HD
Grado SR80e

Sep 3, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #4,510 of 8,135
At home

1.Grado 225i*
2.Q701*
3.Woodied 80i & Audio Technica ES7. They both look good and are something to grab for use with my tablet.)
5.1st gen Street by 50 (what my nephews use to keep them away from my headphones)
6.Realistic PRO2 with an upgraded cable

*I would sell both in favor of a PS500

In the streets

1. Audio Techinica ATH-PRO500MK2.Best on-ear I have had so far. Clamping force and shallow pads took some time getting used to but the very good isolation is a major plus. Durability,detachable cable and folding capabilities make it hard to beat in my opinion. Has all the bass I need.
2. Yamaha EPH-100.Best iem I have had so far but that could change when the TTPOD T1E arrives.
3. Beyerdynamic T50p. I do like their look and sound but poor isolation and a flimsy cable made me leave them home.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #4,511 of 8,135
  Thanks for all the LCD-2 vs. LCD-3 discussion; that was quite enlightening. I need to make sure that when I hear an LCD-3 I hear a pair properly amped to see if I agree with MacedonianHero when it comes to their scalability. I've only really heard the LCD-2 on a Rega EAR (which I was auditioning at the time as a potential purchase for my HD650) and a Schiit Lyr, but I think they both did a fairly good job driving them.

Just some of my experiences...with the Lyr, the LCD-2s were fantastic, but the LCD-3s still didn't fully hit their stride with that amp. That said, I'm not sure how the Lyr 2 would pair with them. It certainly has plenty of power for them.

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #4,512 of 8,135
1. Sennheiser HD600 = primary phones for listening at home
2. Sennheiser IE80 = For when I'm on the go
3. Audio Technica ATH-AD900 = very nice but too light on the bass for some music
4. B&W P5
5. Sennheiser IE7

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #4,513 of 8,135
HD 650 with upgraded cable and the right amp.
LCD 2.2 stock cable still and the right amp. This soon will change once I get balance cable.
Denon D2000 stock cable with right the amp.
HE 400 stock cable
ATH M50
UE Triple 5 Pro
Soundmagic E10

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #4,514 of 8,135
Updating my list:

-Sound:
Beyerdynamic DT880
Sony MDR Ma900
M-Audio Q40
JVC HA-S500
Denon C300
AKG K518LE

-In terms of use:
Sony MDR ma900
M-Audio Q40
JVC HA-S500
Beyerdynamic dt880
AKG K518LE
Denon C300

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #4,515 of 8,135
Sound:

Audio-Technica X900A
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250
AKG K712Pro
Sony MDR-1R

Why did the AT's beat the Beyers for sound? The low end is stronger while the mids and highs still feel crisp.

Comfort

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250
Audio-Technica X900A
AKG K712Pro
Sony MDR-1R

Why did the Beyers beat the AT's for comfort? The leather pads suck...all leather pads suck :) Once I swap these out for some cloth pads the A900's will win all around.

FWIW - All cans were pushed by a Bifrost/Lyr Schiit stack with some 1976 rockets for tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back