Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Nov 28, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #3,571 of 8,134
I think that's probably the right progression bass wise regardless of graph. The higher up you go on the HD scale, the more refined and less prominent the bass becomes, as they become ever more balanced.

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #3,572 of 8,134
  I'm quite interested in them as I can't afford the HD800, but the lack of bass puts me off.

Updating my list:

Current:
1. HD600
2. DT770 and Shure SE535LTD

Of all headphones owned:
1. HD600 and HE400
2. DT770 and Shure SE535LTD
3. Audeze LCD2.2

It’s interesting that you prefer the HE-400 over LCD2.2.  Seems you prefer the planars with more trebles energy, if so you should try the LCD-X or Alpha Dog when you get a chance.

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #3,573 of 8,134

It’s interesting that you prefer the HE-400 over LCD2.2.  Seems you prefer the planars with more trebles energy, if so you should try the LCD-X or Alpha Dog when you get a chance.

Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah I guess sometimes I like neutrality (HD600) and sometimes a V shape (HE400). To be fair to the LCD2.2 though my ranking takes into account cost and comfort, which is did poorly in compared to the others haha

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #3,574 of 8,134
#1) Koss Portapro -easily the best headphones outta the three working pairs I own that I even count as headphones, and they're going to be my go-to phones from now on because they sound so good, plus they look cool and are actually really comfortable once adjusted right.  The foam earpads do tend to get a little itchy, but that's not the phones' fault, foamies in general tend to get a little itchy.

#2) V-moda Bass Freq -decent IEMs for $20, but a little heavy on the lows, and the highs tend to be a little on the harsh side, plus IEMs tend to feel weird in my ears after a while.

#3) Sony MDR-V150 -they're OK closed-back supra-aurals for their price point, their sound is more than acceptable to me, as they were only $20, however the Portapros definitely blow them outta the water as far as sound quality goes. On comfort, they're good and comfortable for a few hours, but then they start to hurt after a while, and as far as durability goes, left headband snapped at the left adjuster on the bus back in August right when I was putting them on, however that was nothing that a crapton of tape on both the side that broke and the side that didn't couldn't fix. All in all, they're pretty much a good $20 set of closed-back on-ears, nothing special about them.

I do however wanna get my hands on either some SR60s (the original flush-housing SR60s, not the SR60i's), some MDR-V6s/7506s, or some ATH-M50s at some point in my life though. :)

I also have some earbuds that came with my Sansa Clip+, but I don't even count those as headphones, because stock MP3 player earbuds pretty much universally suck balls.

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #3,575 of 8,134
  #1) Koss Portapro -easily the best headphones outta the three working pairs I own that I even count as headphones, and they'regoing to be my go-to phones from now on because they sound so good, plus they look cool and are actually really comfortable once adjusted right. Foam earpads do tend to get a little itchy, but that's not the phones' fault, foamies in general tend to get a little itchy.

#2) V-moda Bass Freq -decent IEMs for $20, but a little heavy on the lows, and the highs tend to be a little on the harsh side, plus IEMs tend to feel weird in my ears after a while.

#3) Sony MDR-V150 -they're OK closed-back supra-aurals for their price point, their sound is more than acceptable to me, as they were only $20, however the Portapros definitely blow them outta the water as far as sound quality goes. On comfort, they're good and comfortable for a few hours, but then they start to hurt after a while, and as far as durability goes, left headband snapped at the left adjuster on the bus back in August right when I was putting them on, however that was nothing that a crapton of tape on both the side that broke and the side that didn't couldn't fix. All in all, they're pretty much a good $20 set of closed-back on-ears, nothing special about them.

I do however wanna get my hands on either some SR60s (the original flush-housing SR60s, not the SR60i's), some MDR-V6s/7506s, or some ATH-M50s at some point in my life though. :)

I also have some earbuds that came with my Sansa Clip+, but I don't even count those as headphones, because stock MP3 player earbuds pretty much universally suck balls.

dude, I like your style. comfortable with the budget phones, and not one bit of snobbery. Very cool. I gave my Porta Pros to my brother in law for Christmas. He borrowed them to listen to some classical music, and didn't want to give them back. Loved the soundstage. I told him he could keep them. Now I have cheap ass Sony's and some old Sanyo's. 

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #3,576 of 8,134
Thanks! The Portapros truly are epic headphones, listening to them paired with an EQ'd Sansa Clip+ currently and absolutely love them so far, and they actually sound best on the Sansa followed by my receiver and then my computer. Don't mean I don't wanna try Grados at some point in the future because I do, but still.

Portapros are definitely my fave sub-$50 headphone though, while the UR40s come in at a very close second place.

And the best thing about the Portapros (but I suppose this goes for Grados too) is they've used the same design for almost three decades now, which is really sweet.

PS: The ComfortZone seems to be the most comfortable on the middle or Light setting.

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #3,577 of 8,134
I'd go for the Grados man :) the WOW factor you get with Grados is like what you have with the PortaPro only EVEN BETTER.

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #3,578 of 8,134

HD600 is bassier than the HD700 !!!!??

I guess that some may perceive HD700 bass as "light" because it's precise and has fast decay instead of "boomy" slow bass as for example HD650 has.

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #3,579 of 8,134

HD600 is bassier than the HD700 !!!!??

I guess that some may perceive HD700 bass as "light" because it's precise and has fast decay instead of "boomy" slow bass as for example HD650 has.

Also you can't go just by measurements. 
deadhorse.gif

For example; a flat measuring closed can will sound like it has way more bass than a flat measuring open can. 
HD700 is a very different headphone design to the HD600 series, with bigger earpads etc. Naturally it should measure better, but the actual experience on-ear will be different. 

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #3,580 of 8,134
My list,

1. Stax SR-009(great details,best transparent,very satisfied mid and bass)

2. HD800(very balance and very transparent,wide soundstage)

3. LCD-3(very warm sound,much better than HD650. bass is very good)

4. TH900(I like TH900 sound very much,though it is not very balance. also wide soundstage)

5. HD650(warm sound,beautiful)

6. HD600(a little balance than HD650,but soundstage is not as good as HD650)

7. DT880(250Ohm)(great sound for its price,more transparent than HD600,but the HD600‘s tone is better than DT880)

If I buy a new headphone,I will update the list.

LCD-3 is not in the picture because it has been sent to America audeze. Audeze will repair it for right no sound.

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #3,582 of 8,134
Sold my JVC HA-DX3's, gave away my Sony's and Sanyo, and kept my Roland RH-200. The comfort is the best of all of those, and the sound is so clear and balanced, with beautiful detail, great timbre, and decent soundstage. Ok soundstage isn't the best, but heck, it's not like they are $1000 Sennheisers!

Dec 6, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #3,583 of 8,134
1. Sennheiser HD800
2. Beyerdynamic T1
3. Audeze LCD2 Rev 2
4. Fostex TH600
5. Hifiman HE-500
6. Grado PS1000 (I'll have this for a number of weeks - borrowed from a friend)
7. Sennheiser HD600
8. Fischer FA-011LE

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #3,584 of 8,134
  1. Sennheiser HD800
2. Beyerdynamic T1
3. Audeze LCD2 Rev 2
4. Fostex TH600
5. Hifiman HE-500
6. Grado PS1000 (I'll have this for a number of weeks - borrowed from a friend)
7. Sennheiser HD600
8. Fischer FA-011LE

Hey I'm looking into both the HE500 and the TH600. If you don't mind, what are your thoughts on the differences between the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back