Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Dec 9, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #7,486 of 8,138
Aeolus is my first ZMF and feels special to me. Very warmish sound and engaging. Sounds good with any music. Haven't picked it up in the last month or so. Battle has been between the Auteur and LCD-X for me and recently bought VCs and I think I overhyped them a bit in my mind all year round and now that they exist in my life, lol, there is just something weird about them. I probably need to spend more time with them and try some more pads. Auteur Lambskin are still my fav for the wide stage but vocals seem a bit recessed vs Auteur and while detailed, it seems like there is some kind of veil vs LCD-X. Maybe I've gotten used to them and prefer a more Neutral sound signature. Hoping to find the perfect pad. Needs to retain the 3d-ness and wide stage, bring vocals forward and let them breathe more in the top end. But again, I only had them for about 10 days
Your impressions echo mine almost exactly.

Worked for two years to buy a VC and now that I have them I listen to them less that almost everything I own. I think the VC's need a different source/synergy than what i'm giving them which is why I'm keeping them. Next year I'll buy some tubes to see what they're really about. I've got five pads for my VC's but I currently prefer the Aeolus Lambskin Solids or the Universe Hybrids.

My current ranking is as follows:

1) Rosson RAD-0 w/modified suspension strap -> A&K KANN Alpha (High Gain) via 4.4mm
2) Audeze LCDX 2021 -> Meze PCUHD Silver 4.4mm -> iFi Hip Dac w/Bass Boost -> A&K KANN Alpha
3) ZMF Verite Closed -> Meze PCUHD Silver 4.4mm -> A&K KANN Alpha (High Gain)
4) Meze Liric -> Norne Drausk Lite 4.4mm -> A&K KANN Alpha (High Gain)

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #7,488 of 8,138
Few weeks ago I owned ZMF Verite Open, Abyss Diana Phi and Meze Elite.

Now I can't rank my collections because only Elite left.
What didn’t you like about the Diana Phi compared to the Elites? I owned the Diana Phi’s and sold them as well.

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #7,489 of 8,138
What didn’t you like about the Diana Phi compared to the Elites? I owned the Diana Phi’s and sold them as well.
Most "problem" come from soundstage presentation. It's a bit too intimate. Not really a deal breaker actually, but for overall enjoyment Elite is clearly above it, thus, I started to rarely grab Diana. I think better to make fund from it and wait till I can demo the Diana TC (low expectation they will change the soundstage presentation though).

Additional note: Sold ZMF Verite to my friend because the temptation of Stabilize wood is too hard to resist.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #7,490 of 8,138
Most "problem" come from soundstage presentation. It's a bit too intimate. Not really a deal breaker actually, but for overall enjoyment Elite is clearly above it, thus, I started to rarely grab Diana. I think better to make fund from it and wait till I can demo the Diana TC (low expectation they will change the soundstage presentation though).

Additional note: Sold ZMF Verite to my friend because the temptation of Stabilize wood is too hard to resist.
Zach’s latest creations are amazing. You weren’t the only one unloading their VO’s or VC’s for them.

I’m curious about the Diana TC’s. Like you, I’m finding the Elites to push all the right buttons. They do very little wrong.

The Diana TC’s do have me curious.

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #7,491 of 8,138
Current ranking of my headphones:
1. ZMF Auteur Blackwood
1a. ZMF Auteur Manchurian Ash
1b. ZMF Verite Closed Olive
2. Mod House Argon MK2

As you can see, I can’t choose between all my ZMF’s. I think I could be happy with any one of them if I’m honest with myself. The Argons are still my favorite tv/movie-watching headphones. Their exaggerated bass is great for this use, and the extra large ZMF Oval Lambskin pads are super comfortable for my big ears. I also like that I don’t have to worry about scuffing any beautiful wood finish while I’m using them!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #7,492 of 8,138
Current ranking of my headphones:
1. ZMF Auteur Blackwood
1a. ZMF Auteur Manchurian Ash
1b. ZMF Verite Closed Olive
2. Mod House Argon MK2

As you can see, I can’t choose between all my ZMF’s. I think I could be happy with any one of them if I’m honest with myself.
…but happiest with having all three…headphone rolling?…hmm, call it mood rolling…😄🤷🏻

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #7,494 of 8,138
I had the ZMF Auteur / Verite for over 7 days and I am honestly disappointed with their performance, especially for the price point. I genuinely think they're way over hyped on the internet.
I am sorry to hear that the Auteur / Verite did not work for you. Is that a reason, though, to categorically label them as “way over hyped”? What about the chance that they may work for someone else?

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #7,495 of 8,138
I’ve actually been “headphone rolling” this morning. I notice how much lighter the Ash Auteur is every time I switch to it. The Olive VC and Blackwood Auteur are both hefty beasts.

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #7,496 of 8,138
I’ve actually been “headphone rolling” this morning. I notice how much lighter the Ash Auteur is every time I switch to it. The Olive VC and Blackwood Auteur are both hefty beasts.
I have the Auteur (limba black) from the rarity class of NOV 2020. It is ‘hefty’ and the ZMF headband design makes it really comfortable. I prefer some gravitas in a headphone: weight implies solidity implies quality…😄🤷🏻

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #7,497 of 8,138
I think that "headphone rolling" is an awesome phrase!!!

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #7,498 of 8,138
Zach’s latest creations are amazing. You weren’t the only one unloading their VO’s or VC’s for them.

I’m curious about the Diana TC’s. Like you, I’m finding the Elites to push all the right buttons. They do very little wrong.

The Diana TC’s do have me curious.
Been waiting for VO Stabilize since forever, I can't believe my eyes when Zach released them!

I had the ZMF Auteur / Verite for over 7 days and I am honestly disappointed with their performance, especially for the price point. I genuinely think they're way over hyped on the internet.
Based on your sig, I think something like Arya or HE1000SE may suit you better

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #7,499 of 8,138
What amps did you pair with the ZMF Auteur and ZMF Verite?

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #7,500 of 8,138
1. Focal Elegia
2. Audioquest Nightowl
3. Hifiman HE-400i
4. Meze 99 Classics (probably equal with Hifiman HE-400i in terms of my ranking, just different sound/driver)
5. Audio Technica MSR7 (while I love the detail, headband is uncomfortable and it is somewhat sibilant)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back